Bubble play - wait for burst or fold to pressure?

Discuss the basics, psychology, probability, table selection etc.

Bubble play - wait for burst or fold to pressure?

Postby Breen » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:38 pm

Just lost at the bubble (again) of a On Demand on FT.

I was short with 8-12bbs while playing down to the bubble. Not the shortest but its only 10bbs.
I was tight enough when it was maybe a 4 players to the bubble, folding Jacks in early position to UTG w/middle stack's 4x raise, not calling usual shovers who has a bigger stack when I had Broadways or 3s and 4s and not in position, etc.

I went all in with AJ UTG and got folds, and next up had AJ again in BB. The usual shover shoves, I put him on Broadways or Ax, so called, and he had the 4s. Lost the flip.

Should I be waiting for some money, or play to be a 'winner'? I've been playing to win too much and always not getting paid off recently.

Back to the tourney I just bustoed. Considering I was short, my thinking is a double up and elimination helps everyone and I read that I may have him dominated or to a flip and not held by JJs-AAs, and while folding could get you min-cash, the real moneys always in the final 6. Conversely, I had folded, at the 10bb range, at times when in a flipping position when further out of the bubble. So am I adjusting fairly or not playing optimal for the real money/min-cash?

A slight 2-parter - Early in such MTT donkcall-fests, and I shove with QQs-AAs with minraises and limpers around, and get the folds, is it reasonable play or should I take a flop/reraise hope for stack-off? I ask this because my QQs-AAs/AQ-AK has been broken left right centre this last couple weeks with not only sets but SCs or random two pairs.
Breen
New Fish

Re: Bubble play - wait for burst or fold to pressure?

Postby littlemissangry » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:17 pm

fishy
littlemissangry
New Fish

Postby xcaliblur » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:32 pm

When its down to bubble (4-5 players remaining) it really depends on how loose your table is. Personally this is the time i like to attack the blinds and get the money, but of course if you have ~10BB left then you need to be tight.

Having said that, i dont think i would ever fold JJ with 10 BB left in bubble position, even with a raise in front of me. With 10 BB left you dont have the luxury to wait for AA, KK or QQ. If you think about it Jacks are a good hand to get all-in when you are short stacked. Only 3 hands got you crushed- QQ, KK or AA, but on the other hand the original raiser could have many other hands that you dominate. Even 2 overcards to your jacks put you as a slight favourite, so mathematically you should still go all-in.

With no raiser i would go all in with A and a good kicker or any pocket pair. Remember with that amount of chips left, you just CANT wait for Aces or Kings.. youd bleed yourself dry.

Going all in early in the tournament with QQ, KK or AA is just dumb play. Only dumber people will call with worse hands. So what if you occassionally lose to sets or 2 pairs, straights, flushes etc? Happens to everybody. The real skill is being able to tell if your opponent hit one of those and being able to lay down your overpair if need be. Ive seen many players take their overpair too far, forgetting that it is just after all, one pair.

Shoving all in with AQ or AK preflop early in the tournament is just plain dumb. You have what... 75 BB? Why would you raise 75 times the BB with AQ or AK? lol its like risking 75 BB to win 1.5 BB only to lose when someone snap calls with KK or AA.

My 2 cents.
xcaliblur
Challenge Poker Player

Postby Breen » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:53 am

Hi xcaliblur, thank you for the reply.

I folded Jacks because I felt he had a bigger pair or I'm getting into a flip position minimum, and I didn't want that while close to the bubble. True I don't have the luxury at all, and usually it would have been a shove from me, but somehow for that tourney my read was that guy was tight and he raised big UTG and felt it was fold for a better spot for a better orbit.

Yes I love attacking blinds and antes close to bubbles, but I may be overdoing it as I have not been getting results recently. I feel one should adjust that play as you said dependent on the table, but obviously I have not learnt that enough yet.

I ask about the shoving with premium hands early in the tourney because I watch a deucescracked video where a dude, which I cannot remember, was basically shoving AQ-AA with no raises before him, and just rolling it up. I know thats a little extreme, but I also see it being done, with people basically reraising to commitment or shoving with Kings and Aces to get the double/triple ups early. It KINDA makes sense, especially if the fields are as you said dumb and call, usually it would be a smaller pair or AJ<. Want to get a perspective on this.

Its psychological anyway, about losing constantly recently with my premium hands. Reraising 7x and still get called by SC and sooted and being broken. But thats not the next hand, the more important one is the next one. One can't be chicken little and make myself play brainless poker.
Breen
New Fish

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby Syrecx » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:23 am

I think just play your game. Since you're doing fine and making it deep into tourneys u aint doing anything wrong. Just maybe adjust your game play towards the bubble. When u are below the 20 BB, that's when you would want to double up. My 2 cents.
Syrecx
New Fish

Return to General Poker Strategy