Lessons from Genting Tournaments

Discuss the hottest news in the Asian poker landscape

Lessons from Genting Tournaments

Postby Afternoon » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:56 pm

Genting Poker Tournaments had came to a close on 24th Jan lasting over 2 exciting weekends. Congrats to all the kakis who haddone well and ITM.

In the 2 tournaments, we kakis has trade our skills with the regional best and i think all of us have learned a lesson or 2 in there. i hereby hope that we pokerkakis would share some of our good or bad plays for the benefits of all.

Let me kick start the thread.......

1 slightly better play

2nd hand from the start.

i am in late position (dealer -1) deal [7s] [7h]
blind 100/200
7 callers (include me) at 200, i limped in.

fold came [7c] [3c] [Jd]
all check to me, i bet out 800
left 2 callers (+ me 3)

turn [2h]
all checked to me, i bet out 2200
1 caller and 1 folded

river [Ks]
opp checked, i value bet 3200
he called show [Jc] [9h]

i win pot 14600 .... raced to 18k+ as the chips leader.

Bad Play

Blind 200/400
i was UTG+3 deal with [Ad] [Qd]
2 callers UTG and +2 called, i raise 1400
only UTG+5 called, all folded (i identified UTG+5 as more of a fish player)
Stack size, me 17k+, opp +14k+

flop [2c] [4h] [8c]
i bet 2200, he called

turn [Kd]
i bet 3200, he called

river [6c]
i bet 4500, he called and show [7d] [7s] win pot ..........

My lesson learned ......

"When you try to blaff a fish, you will end up being the fish!"

i really feels like a fish even until now while writing this posting or i am really a fish ???

Uncle Bob
Afternoon
Great White Shark

Medals: 12
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) Crowned a poker tournament (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1) Poker Face (1) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1)
Helpful Kaki (2) Good Buyer / Shopper (1)

Re: Lessons from Genting Tournaments

Postby chenghao » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:09 am

the set of 7s , should put in a raise PF to build to pot such that by the river you could shove.
the one with the J9o would call all the way anyway since he flopped top pair and is not going to let go.

u can't bluff a fish , value bet them only :mrgreen:
7 callers (include me) at 200, i limped in.

fold came [7c] [3c] [Jd]
all check to me, i bet out 800
left 2 callers (+ me 3)
waaaa.... the VPIP so high , fold to cbet so high :mrgreen: i think i wanna try gentings next trip liao
chenghao
Great White Shark

Medals: 3
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby Afternoon » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:39 am

chenghao wrote:waaaa.... the VPIP so high , fold to cbet so high :mrgreen: i think i wanna try gentings next trip liao

Hahaha ....... CH, Poker theories doesn't work in Genting, you just need a lotsa lucks, tonnes of them !

After you try you shall understand what i mean ......

And see you next trip .... and remember to look out for me, show uncle how can you bring your theories to the tables then.

UB
Afternoon
Great White Shark

Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) Crowned a poker tournament (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1) Poker Face (1) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1)

Postby jonasjive » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:05 am

Wah bob,

U really cant get over it hor... :roll:

U know how i know?

Cause ur thread is exactly the same as what u had told me on Sat morning lei!!! :lol: :lol:

Now, here's my fishy story:

blinds 300/600
dealt to this bored fish at C-O [Kh] [Qc] with a stack of 9,600

UTG + 2 calls 600
UTG + 3 calls 600
UTG + 4 calls 600
UTG + 5 calls 600

this bored fish also just calls 600 (when I should have raise it to at least 2.5x BB)

SB folds
BB checks

flop [Jh] [7s] [8c]

whole table checks (including me)

turn [2d]

BB bets 1000
whole table folds except this fish who calls 1000

river [8h]

BB checks
this fish instant shove... ALL IN...
BB asks: u got 8? (ponders for 5 secs) ok, I call...

BB shows [Js] [2h]

Went over to shake BB hand, GG and got a consolation applause from the table... and tiam tiam walk away... turned back to look at the TV screen, I was no. 52...

Next day, played ta sai and won back my buy-in when I hit a 1 pay 50 in one of those bets... The dealer announced... 5... 5... 2... :D :D

Life is so ironic, isn't it? :D :D

I will probably be bringing an ipod the next time around as I felt that I was a little bored at the table eh :lol: :lol:

So much for my 1st tournament experience! :)

Anyway, I really enjoyed myself there and it was nice to meet all of you and look forward to meeting you all again in the coming tournaments (if time permits of course) :D :D

Chaos!
[As] [Ac]
jonasjive
Challenge Poker Player

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby mugiwara84 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:48 am

my lesson is tt the organization is fucked up...... i was put on the 'waiting list' but when there were empty seats they nv slot anyone in, just burnt the blinds and den took out the stack @ lvl 2. fortunately i made abit @ the tables ar bo super wasted trip
mugiwara84
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 1
APPT Participant (1)

Postby melaos » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:44 am

hi guys,
hehe, nice stories you guys have there for ppl like us who didn't go.
make us want to try it though.

keep more coming :)
melaos
New Fish

Postby kel0505 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:27 pm

yup, wat an experience in genting !! I enjoy every much too.. too bad being kick out in semis...
Will participate again in March.. :)
kel0505
New Fish

Postby SunScreen » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:38 pm

kel0505 wrote:yup, wat an experience in genting !! I enjoy every much too.. too bad being kick out in semis...
Will participate again in March.. :)

March? Are they organising another one anytime soon?? Anybody has any details?
SunScreen
ABC Poker Player

Postby kel0505 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:46 pm

Yup . 22-28 march..usually they don reveal the details so soon as there are quite a number of other tournaments in feb-early march
kel0505
New Fish

Postby SunScreen » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:40 pm

Great! Hopefully the buy-in will not be more than 500rm!

Thanks for the info.
SunScreen
ABC Poker Player

Postby firsttimer » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:43 pm

From my experience on genting tourney. don't go heads up with lucky fish in genting. I remember i folded A J un-suited to a auntie pre-fold as she have been winning the last few hands with cards like 5Q suited or A4 un-suited. I think it's consider a bad play in poker book on this but my concept is if she have a small pocket and i don't hit on the flop. i'm going to put in more chips and it would be very very hard for me to play later. I rather select players to play with then playing with the cards i got. poker is about playing with the players and not the cards on the early stage for genting. :)
well, at least this is what i learned. :)
firsttimer
New Fish

Postby KembanganClub » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:03 pm

Hi UB, I tot i saw you in Genting during the Tourney... :D
Anywayz, just to share with you the experience in Genting when I was in the 1st week tourney, my 1st time tourney too...! Played at the 2nd shift on Fri (9pm slot) So excited!! At the same time, got to know some players from SIN and KL. Really friendly pple around!

I managed to kill some fishes (those uncles & aunties) during the 1st 3 orbits (nice cards dealt). Sometimes I dun understand that these uncles & aunties can buy to see the river when they have lowest pair or just mid pairs! :? By end of the qualifying round, I'm healthy with 115K chips at position #4.

Luckily on the beginning of the Semi-finals on Sunday, those really good players are not in the same table as I am. Continue to grine in with the rest... Chip leader holding about 150K chips at another table. Pretty much not many good hands during the 1st hour but managed to bluff my way through... However with 1 hand, I hand increased my chips to more than 250K by the 2nd hour. Just before the breaktime, some action going on with 4 all-in at another table, with the chip leader in play. Alas! The chip leader got all the chips!! And he's with more than 1.5mil behind him... I was healthy with close to 400K behind me when I lost 300K to 1 uncle (2nd runner-up winner at the end) when I donk with an air-ball hand when I shove all-in. Read him wrongly and I lost 300K to him... damn! But in the end, I managed to turn the pathetic situation around and was pretty much healthy again :P

As the clock ticks by to around 6pm, the last man was busted and 10 players including myself went through the finals! (with only 2 SIN & the rest M'sians) Chips in hand=900K. Chip leader=2mil. Climbed myself to 1.2mil, chips positioned #4

Blinds was at 50k/100k. I had [9h] [Th] , Raised to 400K and 1 called (I was UTG+2) & all folded, heads up... Flop [Ac] [7d] [8s] , I checked & he raised 300K. I shove all in, he straight call me with [As] [9c] . Turn drop a [Jd] which pretty much him drawing dead to the river. Position #3 in chips... heh heh :lol:

After some time, it's left with 5 players in play and blinds to 100k/200k when I limp with [Ad] [Qd], only mean raised to 400k when the chip leader called me. (I'm UTG) He had [9h] [Jh] . Flop came [2h] [9c] [Kh] . My only mistake is I checked on the flop and he felt I was weak. He checked too... I slowly checked on the turn & he raises 200K. I straight shove all-in with about 1.4mil & he called!!! Damn! Rivered nothing and I shoke his hands graciously. But deep inside, I was really a fish lor (words of wisdom, dun ever make the same mistake when bluffing)

Anyways, I was in 5th position in this tourney and had a really great time!! I will definitely come back to Genting for more tourney action!! Did you guys say this coming Mar there's a tourney in Genting??
KembanganClub
New Fish

Postby jonasjive » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:34 pm

Well Done Kembangan Club!!!

Keep it up!!!

At least we had a SG flag bearer in the final table!!! ;p
jonasjive
Challenge Poker Player

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby Afternoon » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:47 pm

Well done. See you again next time. But i could not recall who is who...sorry too many people there liao.
Afternoon
Great White Shark

Next

Return to Asian Poker News