Tilt Kills

Anything poker-related, and which doesn't fit into other forum categories

Tilt Kills

Postby chiku » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:38 am

Of course, every poker player old,young,fat,thin,tall,short will experience tilt at some point of time. But the essential thing here is how best to handle tilt when it comes knocking on your door? Always hear people saying that having discipline is the key to be a winning poker player and that involves not blowing your entire bankroll away. So come on and post up on how you guys handle tilt in relation to bankroll management. Maybe i could take a pointer or two from the advice.

PS. tilted 40% of my bankroll away after a very pleasant day of upswings. all it took was ONE badbeat. probably the lowest of lows since starting poker seriously.
chiku
ABC Poker Player

Re: Tilt Kills

Postby felixleong » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:24 am

I think handling tilt goes case by case to different people. I could share my case here, usually once I realise I'm on tilt I will quickly leave the game and lay on my bed, trying figure out what is happening, am I playing bad? or are the cards bad? or is my mood affecting my play? If I cant figure it out, I try to sleep it away and fight again another day.

One of the best way I have learned to get myself immunued to bad beats (usually the root cause of tilt), is to...
Recieve More BAD BEATS!! yeah!!! There was one period of time which I was playing tons of SNGs where 55-65, 80-20 , 70-30 flips happens every game, after 3 months I pretty much got used to all the bad beats I recieved.

One most important thing to say is... Good Players Will Always Take A Lot More Bad Beats then Recieve.
Why is this so? because Good Players often has the BEST out of it (higher pot equity), good players only put $$ in when they are ahead, so they rarely chase opponents and give them bad beats.
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby vaevictis » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:42 pm

You cant really remove tilting away from your poker game, you can only control how much you tilt before you quit. Many quit when they lose their entire bankroll, which is pretty sad.

The funny thing is that you gotta tilt, before you can understand tilt, and then controlling it.

Tilt from badbeats and badplay is considered bad, but tilt from winning called "winner's tilt" is equally as bad. Sometimes you run so good u start making crazy plays.

How I control tilt...hmm few ways...I usually quit when I know im playing bad, my table image is bad, when I know my emotions is gonna rock after a sick badbeat etc etc. Take a break, chill out, do something else but poker. Another way I like to do is to go play lower stakes and trash up the weaker players just to lighten up my mood somehow.

Theres an article from mike caro i think, he equates tilt as time lost, but not money lost. Imagine you are a winning player grinding out a solid amount/hr, and then u tilt away a significant amount. You gotta work more hours to win them back and then summore. The time lost i suppose is more significant compared to the actual money lost. So before you start tilting away, making spewy plays, start thinking in the lines of "Do I wanna waste more time making back the money I could potentially lose by tilting?" Money lost can be earned back (especially true in poker since the games are so soft at lower stakes), but time lost is forever.
vaevictis
Challenge Poker Player

Postby Lo0o0o0n » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:26 pm

Well undisputedly, tilt is an evident part of any poker player's game.

As for me, I feel i experience tilt very little, probably lesser than the average player. I think its probably just abit of my character also, I dont really let feelings show and affect my decision and actions in most ways.

But this might not be as good as u think, there are times which I dont feel i am tilting but maybe i am...and i keep playing...and then i just play bad unawaringly and lost a deal of money. Without the tilt there to actually tell me then i should stop playing, i juz keep playing and losing while unawaringly playing bad.

This is juz what i think...coz as i mentioned in a thread before...i do experience periods of winning streaks and losing streaks...so now even when I go thru losing streaks w/o feeling any tilt wat so ever, I use the results to determine whether to stop playing or not....so if i lose like 5 SnGs in a row....i'll go do other stuff...

Alex Loon
Lo0o0o0n
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 7
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (2) Macau Cup Participant (2) APPT Participant (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby Heart7Club2 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:06 pm

You have to know when to distinguish when its a streak of bad cards, and when it is you playing plain lousy i think
Heart7Club2
New Fish

Postby Annette_69 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:41 pm

I came across this issue when I was browsing 2+2 forum.
The members there mentioned the similar solutions here too.
As suggested by all the people here, taking a break and come back another day is a wise choice.
Annette_69
New Fish

Postby felixleong » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:28 pm

yeah, wins and loses comes and goes
there's always poker tomorrow , the day after and the near forever
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Return to General Poker Chat