So where's the money??.....

Anything poker-related, and which doesn't fit into other forum categories

So where's the money??.....

Postby Lo0o0o0n » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:44 am

I was thinking about this on the way to school this morning.....So here's the thing...

We all have a bankroll...we play...we grind...and we slowly get our bankroll up to the point where we can finally support ourselves up the higher stakes to have a higher rate of return.

So when do u actually see the cash in ur hands?....when should u take a lil outta ur bankroll as spending cash?

It cant be that u leave all ur winnings as ur bankroll until u earn hundreds of thousands and are still not able to see any of the cash due to the fact that, of course, ur poker bankroll is "untouchable" money...

So yeah I just wanna know how u guys know whether to let the winnings bulk up ur bankroll or whether its time to take some cash out to become spending cash for yourselves...

Thanks in advance for all ur insights...

Alex Loon
Lo0o0o0n
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 7
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (2) Macau Cup Participant (2) APPT Participant (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Re: So where's the money??.....

Postby ohboy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:53 pm

here's my take on it.

When you play poker, you're investing in yourself. As such, an increase in bankroll is like paper profit. You can take it out anytime, but as long as the investment is solid, why take it out if you don't need it?
ohboy
Shark

Postby vaevictis » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:03 pm

Hmm for me I keep my poker bankroll totally separate from my bank account and only withdraw when I need to. (e.g being in dire financial situations)

Right now I have sort of an online bank in the form of rakeback money. My cash out plan right now is just to cash out my rakeback earned. It's quite pleasing to see the rakeback value grow daily (if your affliate updates rakeback daily). Gives you a satisfaction of $$/hr that cannot be earned in local part time job as well as having fun while earning them.

I believe a constant cashing out / setting aside money to cash out is a must for all winning players, marginal or not. It's the only way to ensure you won't go bust online, less any security fraud or loophole, or playing while you are drunk etc etc. There is always the risk of ruin present in online poker.

Another point to note is that if your bankroll is significantly overrolled for the regular stakes that you grind, there will be "dormant excess" money in your bankroll sitting around doing nothing. If you are a shrewed investor, you should be better off taking the excess money out and making it work for you elsewhere.
vaevictis
Challenge Poker Player

Postby felixleong » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:45 pm

Hm... for me hor..... I keep only enough bankroll for the stakes I'm playing
for example nowadays i'm 9-tabling 100NL , so I'm using a 5k bankroll
At the end of every month I draw out all my extra winnings, reset-ing it back to 5k

If any time i decide to upstakes, I will grind my way up and not withdraw for a few months.
For example if i want to move to 200NL , i will keep grinding 100NL till my bankroll hits 10k then move up

happy chinese new year and gl at the tables
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby Lo0o0o0n » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:11 pm

9-tabling $100NL is pretty hardcore man...

hats off to u...
Lo0o0o0n
Challenge Poker Player

Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (2) Macau Cup Participant (2) APPT Participant (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby felixleong » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:59 pm

Lo0o0o0n wrote:9-tabling $100NL is pretty hardcore man...

hats off to u...

haha , bo bian leh, i need to hit supernova asap and then focus back on my MTTs
felixleong
Great White Shark

Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby chiku » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:11 am

Seems like all points of view above make sense. I guess it really depends on how well you're doing financially (outside of your bankroll), and what are your immediate/longterm goals for poker i.e. moving up the stakes to get higher profit returns? remaining at current stakes and just making a rather consistent profit?

As for myself,(in the short-term/near future) I'm trying to sorta count everything poker-related into my bankroll. With a puny bankroll, I'm just working my way up to have enough to sustain the stakes I'm playing and then when I have some excess, I'll take out enough to pay for stuff like PT/PAHUD. Even for things like poker books can be counted into your bankroll if you are the kind who wants to not over-invest into something which you're not sure on whether the books you buy are worth it in terms of helping in your profit returns.
chiku
ABC Poker Player

Postby Lo0o0o0n » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:27 pm

felixleong wrote:

hats off to u...

WOAH supernova ah....9tabling $100NL gonna get u there in how long?...by end of the year?...maybe barely...but i suppose uve done all the calculations by now huh?...haa gd luck grinding man....be the first singapore supernova! maybe u can use ur FPPs to buy into the WSOP 2009 main event...=)

Alex Loon
Lo0o0o0n
Challenge Poker Player

Postby felixleong » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:45 am

Lo0o0o0n wrote:
felixleong wrote:

hats off to u...

WOAH supernova ah....9tabling $100NL gonna get u there in how long?...by end of the year?...maybe barely...but i suppose uve done all the calculations by now huh?...haa gd luck grinding man....be the first singapore supernova! maybe u can use ur FPPs to buy into the WSOP 2009 main event...=)

Alex Loon

I'll probably nova by may/june. Actually most hardcore regulars on pokerstars are supernovas, those that play almost daily usually are, which is about slighly less then 1% of the total PS population.
Yeah i plan to use my FPP on those sats for the APPT, i want seats to all stops hehe but i think its gonna be hard ~

Btw u also play on PS right?
felixleong
Great White Shark

Postby Lo0o0o0n » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:21 pm

haha , bo bian leh, i need to hit supernova asap and then focus back on my MTTs[/quote]

Alex Loon[/quote]

I'll probably nova by may/june. Actually most hardcore regulars on pokerstars are supernovas, those that play almost daily usually are, which is about slighly less then 1% of the total PS population.
Yeah i plan to use my FPP on those sats for the APPT, i want seats to all stops hehe but i think its gonna be hard ~

Btw u also play on PS right?[/quote]

Yeah I play on PokerStars only now...my have sorta given up wif the whole VIP program and FPP thing....used to really work towards the VIP status and FPPs at $100NL cash games too....but now i realised my money is really flowing in when i play SnGs....so yeh...maybe nxt time i'll go back to cash games to grind out the FPPs....for now....SnGs are working really well for me...

Anyway i'll be waiting for APPT too man....it'll be so cool if a bunch of us can qualify and fly arnd together....any idea when the sattelites for APPt start running?

Alex Loon
Lo0o0o0n
Challenge Poker Player

Return to General Poker Chat