2+2 topic: Why I don't tell ppl I play poker

Anything poker-related, and which doesn't fit into other forum categories

2+2 topic: Why I don't tell ppl I play poker

Postby vaevictis » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:04 pm

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showf ... &fpart=all

Very interesting read...hahaha..I see many common questions coming from my friends when I tell them I play poker part time.
1) Isn't poker gambling???? (yes duh...it is)
2) Is poker illegal in SG??? Are you doing illegal gambling??
3) How much can you make??? (Usually when i tell them they just give me an unbelivable look and say..."oh i see...")
4) Poker is all about luck right?? (They won't understand the skill factor involved and that luck is a small subset of poker)

Usually I'll just spare the details and say that its sorta like an normal part time job and then most of them will understand...hahaha

Anymore of your experiences?
vaevictis
Challenge Poker Player

Re: 2+2 topic: Why I don't tell ppl I play poker

Postby suitedpairs29 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:18 pm

there was an interesting topic on pocketfives about this as well. probably lent itself from the 2+2 discussion

when i explained it to a couple of people, they usually give a blank expression. or think im some degenerate gambler who is 2 bets away from selling my kidney for another cash game buyin. if someone wants to think its pure gambling, so be it. i will only explain in detail to those I feel will listen and understand.

i think the best response ive ever gotten, however, was when I explained how much I can earn in a month, one person replied, "so how do you play this no holdem texas limit?"
suitedpairs29
Challenge Poker Player

Return to General Poker Chat