Hi I'm New to Poker

Please introduce yourself to the community here. E.g your name, age, profession, how long have you been playing poker..etc. Share & discuss your poker experiences with us. Make yourself at home.
Important Information
1) Do introduce yourself to the kakis.
2) Don't post any home games, events or meet ups in this section.

Hi I'm New to Poker

Postby Squirrel » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:19 am

Hi

I would like to learn how to play poker, but i dont know where to start, could anyone help me out?
I would be grateful if anyone could give me tips and stuff so i could learn how to play poker effectively.

A thousand thanks!
Squirrel
New Fish

Re: Hi I'm New to Poker

Postby asiangravy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:03 am

new as in you haven't started playing the game yet?
asiangravy
Shark

Medals: 2
Long Jie Participant (1) APPT Participant (1)

Postby Squirrel » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:17 pm

new as in i've only played a few times with my friends. I'm hoping to try and learn how to play a bit more effectively, cuz i find poker to be quite interesting. If u could tell me where to begin with i would be most grateful

thankss alot
Squirrel
New Fish

Postby felixleong » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:58 pm

you can have fun for free at the playmoney tables on pokerstars.
http://www.pokerstars.com

have fun ^_^
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby ohboy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:17 pm

raise when you're behind to bluff
check when you're ahead to trap

not
ohboy
Shark

Postby Squirrel » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:49 pm

Hi,

I've been reading articles on odds and probability but i just don't seem to get it. Is there anywhere on this site where theres an explanation for pot odds, implied odds and stuff?

Thanks again.
Squirrel
New Fish

Postby felixleong » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:57 pm

try getting some good poker books, it will help a lot
I recommend harrington on cash vol 1-2 and harrington on holdem vol 1-3
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby blackfayth_vox » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:24 pm

hey Squirrel,

I think any player who's keen on the game needs to read a lot about it. Felix has recommended a couple of really good books written by the pros. My only advice is that before you start reading them, do a bit of research on the net yourself. There are a million (or billion!) sites out there which dispense advice to every level of player - from rank newbies to people who want to explore and incorporate highly advanced strategy to their games.

my advice is to pick a variant. I suggest No Limit Texas Hold'em (since its the most popular form of the game right now and there's tons of material you can go thru online) and read as much as you can about it. Then play live with friends who're equally keen. Nothing beats live play mate!
However online is a pretty good substitute too. Pick a decent poker site (i play on Full Tilt Poker) and have a go at the play money tournaments & ring games. Do keep in mind, becoz its play money people dont take it seriously and therefore might make moves that just dont make any sense whatsoever. But thats the catch as far playing online is concerned.

I've been playing poker for just about 4 years now and i can tell you from personal experience that the more you play the more you get better at the game. Here's a link you can start with - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poker_strategy
Have fun on your poker journey :)

Cheers,

Pete
blackfayth_vox
New Fish

Postby Squirrel » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:36 am

Cheers mate i've been reading up on the books that were recommended, and doing lots of online reading as well. So far my playing has been limited to yahoo poker only not much live play, so i've yet to really see the difference. Its still a blur but thanks for the advice though cheers again
Squirrel
New Fish

Postby kikovti » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:41 am

i have just dl 1gb worht of poker books if any1 need any title just pm me. try my best to send it to you. free of charge of course. :)
learning poker is a ever going journey.
kikovti
New Fish

Postby mudspot » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:13 am

Hmm, downloaded? That ain't nice.

My personal opinion... If you want to play poker, be honest. I believe in karma. Things you do will come back in a big way to bite you at the poker table or the stock market. The writers of those poker books will make you money anyway. Poker is an investment. You have to put in something honest. Really spend some money to invest in good poker books, join a good poker training school (talk to leslie vae about poker school), get a mentor, discuss your hands.... don't play with money you don't have, worse, play with other people's money or money on loan.

If you need books, I can loan you. :) Quite a number of kakis here have my books with them.

don't mean to lecture; but you have hit a raw nerve or mine. lol

Cheers and good luck.
mudspot
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 1
Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby blackfayth_vox » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:49 pm

Squirrel wrote:Cheers mate i've been reading up on the books that were recommended, and doing lots of online reading as well. So far my playing has been limited to yahoo poker only not much live play, so i've yet to really see the difference. Its still a blur but thanks for the advice though cheers again

i'm not sure Yahoo poker is really all that great a starting point. Pick a "proper" poker-only type of website e.g. Full Tilt, Pokerstars, Party Poker etc etc.
blackfayth_vox
New Fish

Postby Squirrel » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:41 pm

Hi big thanks for your advice, is there really such a thing as poker school?
Squirrel
New Fish

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby mudspot » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:45 pm

Yes there is. Intellipoker is the one associated with PokerStars. StoxPoker is famous....

I'd let Leslie elab on this. :)
mudspot
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 1
Helpful Kaki (1)

Next

Return to Member Introductions