Help... someone make a HU guide pls

Talk about the hows and the whys of arguably the purest form of poker

Help... someone make a HU guide pls

Postby exabet » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:57 pm

Anyone very power in HU sngs, please make a guide please or redirect me to any training sites?

I'm totally thrashed in PS... think my br now is -500 muahahaha. Just made a move to FT with a new nick, doing much better at the $6 hu sngs there.
exabet
Challenge Poker Player

Re: Help... someone make a HU guide pls

Postby felixleong » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:43 pm

Heads up I can give u some advise from my experiences, but I'm not really good at it since I focus on 6-max and full ring de.

1) never open fold when in SB, the pot odds are too good so at least call with 23/27 to see the flop or no shame folding to a raise by BB since u only post 1/2 blind
2) be very very aggressive, I tend to play 1.5x to 3x times more aggressive postflop heads up then 6-max
3) hands like Ace high and small/mid pair raise tremendously in value and are good check down/bluff catchers
4) Since unpaired hands like 2 overcards only hit the flop 30% of the time, flop situations are like a game of chicken so to succeed well in heads up you must not be afraid to make high percentage continuation bets (60-80%) and also 3 bet flop light with semi-bluffs/air as most of the time villain is holding air
5) any pocket pair (22-AA) preflop can be played as a big hand as there is only 1:30 chance that your opponent also holds a pair and a very slim chance he has a pair that dominates you, short to say if your preflop raise can produce a good fold equity then go ahead and 3-bet or even 4-bet fiercely with your small/mid pairs too
6) you have to showdown much more often then 6-max, so always remember small hand small pot. Do not often go to showdown with all your chips in the middle holding just a pair, you often wanna check a flop or turn with single pair hands to keep the pot small and shorten the streets.
7) against aggressive players tend to trap more, since heads up the action is usually of high frequency, therefore check-raising and slow playing has higher chance of piling your opponent's chips
8) against passive or weak players who fold preflop or on the flop too much, play like a maniac and bet like its your last poker game. Often they will fold so much that even catching you for mid/big pots once in a while can't recover their loss for over-folding
9) do not over estimate big over cards, hands like AQ KQ are good for dominating but not godly. Often all you need is to hit a pair and even middling hands like JT hitting the flop makes a very strong pair that can hold up to the river.
10) 2 pair+ is the almost the nuts!!!

Hope these can help you a little :D
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby felixleong » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:52 pm

oh ya I forgot to add the following too

11) raise 2.5-3 bb preflop when in position (small blind)
12) when SB completes and you wanna raise, try to raise more (like 3-4 bb)and get him to fold or pay more to see the flop
13) if playing SNG, once under 7 M (orange or red zone) its time to switch to push/fold mode
14) play draws more aggressively, its ok to put all your chips on a draw if you know he does not have to balls to call unless he has 2 pair+ ( if he is one that would fold a top pair hand rather then playing for all chips then your semi-bluff has gain tremendous value )
15) heads up the variance is si bei high so have at least twice the amount of normal buy-in, i recommend 200 for SNG and 50 for cash (grow slow rather then bust fast better right?)

Cheers :geek:
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby exabet » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:57 pm

wow i've made like $30 in the afternoon then come back 30mins lose $30...very sick... and all lose because of bad beat.... very sian liao... FTP is ganging up on me lor... bad beats with 1 to come....sigh

i was doing quite well at the 1.2 sngs sigh...but money so slow come in...
exabet
Challenge Poker Player

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby exabet » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:19 pm

Shot at 2008-08-14

I r retard
exabet
Challenge Poker Player

Postby exabet » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:04 pm

running really bad now.

high pocket pairs aipf, still keep getting sucked out on. pretty sick
exabet
Challenge Poker Player

Postby exabet » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:01 pm

really ding dong up & down over the past day... up 60... down 60.... sigh...now just wanna play slowly & clear the bonus
exabet
Challenge Poker Player

Postby DM101 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:17 pm

This article might help you will the Heads up too.

http://www.cardplayer.com/magazine/article/15250
DM101
Site Admin

Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby exabet » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:14 pm

hehe nvm le, im quitting soon :) make back my $$ le
exabet
Challenge Poker Player

Return to Heads Up (HUs)