The Secret

Mike aka suitedpairs29 is a very skillful both ONLINE & LIVE poker player. He is sharing his poker experience with the folks here.

The Secret

Postby suitedpairs29 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:36 am

I am here to let you in on a little secret about playing better no limit holdem. Its really quite simple and would dramatically increase your profits 10-fold. No, im goint to go on a rant about raising in early position or three-betting light or squeezing on the blinds for 50x of the raise. And no, I wont talk about being tighter in late position since people expect you to raise light in that spot. And I definitely will not tell you about reading body languages or studing player habits and their betting patterns, or that staring down an opponent when faced with a decision will reveal alot about their hand strength and will probably disuade them from trying any other moves on you later on.

No, I will not tell you anything about the above. I am here to talk about the biggest secret that all the top players in the game only know, and now you will too. Some of you might say, "Why Mike? Why are you divulging the secret that will unlock the gates to poker stardom and, of course, all the money in the world?" "Why tell share the tip that will undoubtedly propell me from average joe to WSOP 2005 Main Event winner Joe Hachem?" Ill tell you why my friends, because I CARE. I care about the guy playing 0.01/0.02 and cannot move up because that one guy, who you labeled a donkey could not fold his top pair after you perfectly represented a better hand. I care about the MTT grinder that cant get that win because he four-bet all-in in the BB with big slick after UTG+1 raised and UTG+2 reraised. I care about all these guys and every other player who cant make it and blames it on the beats. I feel your pain, and I am here to tell you its not your fault. Its because the establishment has failed to bestow the greatest secret of all good poker players. Why? Because they are greedy, selfish pigs who look down on all of us little guys. But not to worry, we will be at par with them soon.

What is the secret? Simple. Its about doing something most people almost instinctively never ever do. Its so hard-wired into our brains when we start playing poker that most players gasp and catch fever and the mere mention of it. It took some time for most pros, but soon after they started winning the millions of dollars, the bracelets, the
trophies and the prestige. What do you have to do to achieve this? Ill tell you right now: fold pocket aces.

I know what you are thinking: "Mike, please die." or "Mike, please die now.", or even, "Mike, why arent you dead yet?" I am not surprised by your reaction. I felt the same way when this revelation was, well, revealed to me. Mass media and poker pros are people who are spreading this rumor that AA is good and is the best starting hand in holdem. But thats what they want you to believe. Its all about the simple facts and numbers. Ill ask you two questions, and the difference between the two answers will astound your mind, body and soul:

1. How many big pots have you won with Aces?
2. How many big pots have you lost with Aces?

Most of you are starting to reconsider now. Isnt the difference quite astounding? Think about all the money you could have right now, if you just did the right thing and mucked preflop. Still not convinced? Lets do some more exercises. You raise preflop in early position with AA, get 3 callers, flop comes 7 8 9 rainbow. You c-bet and get a reraise and a flat call. What do you do now? Shove and hope for the best? Wrong! Someone flopped the straight with 10 6 and somebody else flopped two-pair with 7 9 offsuit. You lose. Still sticking with the AA? Heres another. There is a raise and a reraise in middle position and you have AA on the button. You and the reraiser have the same stack of about 250 BB and he just put half his stack in, what do you do? Perfect opportunity to shove, right? Wrong! They both snap call with 33 and chop your money when the board comes 2 4 5 6 7. What do you think of your precious rockets now?

No one said that the journey to poker greatness was going to be easy, but I am. Its as simple as 1, 2, 3: FOLD POCKET ACES. Everytime you get the urge to play them, just repeat the following phrase in your mind: AA I will muck pre means more money for me. Or if you dont like rhymes try: AA is the best starting hand ... for my opponent. See, once you start associating it with the enemy its easier to see the evil within these cards and the path to healing can begin.

What do I want in return for sharing this? Just the knowledge that I helped a fellow player is enough. There are more important things in life than material possesions, its the rewards that cannot be seen or touched that really matter in the long run. I just want people to see me and say to the guy beside them, "Look, thats Mike. He helped elevate my game to the next level. I can now afford to play 0.02/0.04" or "Dude, isnt that Mike? He helped my wife learn better skills. They have weekly sessions that last all night. She is really enjoying it and getting better apparently."

Congratulations and dont forget me when you are at the Main Event final table telling God that he knows your purpose and begging him to let you win.
suitedpairs29
Challenge Poker Player

Re: The Secret

Postby DM101 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:58 am

suitedpairs29 wrote:1. How many big pots have you won with Aces?
2. How many big pots have you lost with Aces?

Most of you are starting to reconsider now. Isnt the difference quite astounding? Think about all the money you could have right now, if you just did the right thing and mucked preflop. Still not convinced? Lets do some more exercises. You raise preflop in early position with AA, get 3 callers, flop comes 7 8 9 rainbow. You c-bet and get a reraise and a flat call. What do you do now? Shove and hope for the best? Wrong! Someone flopped the straight with 10 6 and somebody else flopped two-pair with 7 9 offsuit. You lose. Still sticking with the AA? Heres another. There is a raise and a reraise in middle position and you have AA on the button. You and the reraiser have the same stack of about 250 BB and he just put half his stack in, what do you do? Perfect opportunity to shove, right? Wrong! They both snap call with 33 and chop your money when the board comes 2 4 5 6 7. What do you think of your precious rockets now?

Reminded me of how Mr Kumar cracked my AA a few months ago. That was because I was on a Bounty and got hunted. Pretty sick!
DM101
Site Admin

Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby belkelbro » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:30 am

I call.
belkelbro
New Fish

Postby vaevictis » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:31 pm

Learn to play poker so that you lose less with Aces and win more with Aces.
vaevictis
Challenge Poker Player

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby felixleong » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:44 pm

many new fishes play Aces all the way to the river like the nuts, and they sure lose a lot of $$ with it which is why we love holding our set ^_^

Doyle brunson said that, aces tend to win small pots and lose big pots :lol:
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby vaevictis » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:20 pm

Doyle Brunson is wrong. Don't take his words as the bible.
vaevictis
Challenge Poker Player

Postby felixleong » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:05 pm

Doyle Brunson advises not to play AQ in his super system book as its one of those troubled hands

LOL :lol:

He also says he prefer AK over AA in his book, LOL again :lol:
felixleong
Great White Shark

Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby DM101 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:30 pm

felixleong wrote:Doyle Brunson advises not to play AQ in his super system book as its one of those troubled hands

LOL :lol:

He also says he prefer AK over AA in his book, LOL again :lol:

His System got printing errors huh?
DM101
Site Admin

Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby Nicefingers » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:21 am

i forgot to feed the man his pills.
Nicefingers
Shark

Medals: 2
Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1)

Postby newbie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:19 pm

i agree with mike.. pocket rockets are definitely overrated..

the most profitable way to play it is to set mine.. if you hit your set, hope that others have a big hand, then play for a big pot; if not, just fold, most of the time people flop two-pair or better anyways. there's a downside to this though, when the board comes A 7 2 rainbow, your top set might not be paid off.. thus, there's simply no implied odds to call preflop, and doesn't justify your set-mining.

but definitely if there is a raise, a smoothcall and a reraise preflop, a fold is the most justifiable action as AA in a pot of AA vs 67 of spades vs 88 vs KQ of hearts is definitely a big dog..

i've actually been one of the people that started folding aces preflop way before mike even divulged this godlike secret of poker. and yes, i hate you, mike. you're spoiling the market. now i can't stack anymore donkeys when they have AA. i've increased my profits 10-fold, yes, because every single opportunity that i could've been stacked with aces, i dodged them; preflop.

i could write a whole thesis on why folding aces is profitable, but there's no point. calling/raising with aces preflop, i feel, has as much equity as calling a gutshot straight draw with one card to come.
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 1
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1)

Postby Nicefingers » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:51 pm

Ah lah ---mak--, Make some tea.
Nicefingers
Shark

Medals: 2
Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1)

Postby felixleong » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:38 pm

These are all lies... obviously 2-7 is the best hand in poker right? :lol:
felixleong
Great White Shark

Postby ohboy » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:48 pm

you obviously phail at poker

27 is the worst hand in poker
28 is the best hand

don't confuse the two
ohboy
Shark

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby felixleong » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:02 pm

I always thought 22 was good too, they were the best in my hardcore dai dee grinding days LOL
felixleong
Great White Shark

Next

Return to Mike's Corner