What About This Play?

Discuss ring game approaches and strategies here

What About This Play?

Postby Webo » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:17 pm

2/5 9-max NLHE Home Game

Just wanna get some comments from the following play i made vs a Fish Iranian.

So UTG+2 Raised $22 , 2 person infront of me flatted .. I Had [8d] [6d] from the HJ seat and i flatted as well .. so did the 'fish iranian' flatted the $22 from the button .. Blinds folded so pot is about ( $110+ ish ) .. So 5 players into the flop

Flop comes [7d] [5d] [Ah] .. Preflop raiser Checks , so did the 2 callers infront of me .. I took a stab of about $77 trying to represent the ace and the Iranian called (Pot $264).. Rest folded .. At this point , i put him on Ax probably with a weak kicker since Preflop he did not reraised or anything .. Turn was a Blank for me [3c] .. I checked this time & see what the Iranian do .. He bet about $100 (leaving himself with $350) , so at this point i made a strong check-raised to $300 trying to set him all in or make him fold his weak ace .. But he just called .. (At this point , i thought i was fucked .. wtf was he doing leaving himself short) .. Luckily the river came a [4h] .. And i shove he called .. In the end , he told me he got 2pair .. but he didnt reveal his cards .. probably rivered it

Just wanna see what u guys think about the play..? Or is there a mistake or so .. Any comment is welcome :)
Webo
New Fish

Re: What About This Play?

Postby chenghao » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:01 pm

Squeeze preflop , you would like to 3bet there and win the pot uncontested preflop
However , since you know the fish is behind you , limping is ok to see a cheap flop

The question is , what sort of "fish" is he ?

Is he the sort that would see all the way to river then check fold when misses ?
Is he the sort that would call you down with bottom pair ?
Is he the sort that would call any preflop and fit and fold on the Flop / Turn ?
Why is he a fish ? What makes you think he is a fish ?

so at this point i made a strong check-raised to $300 trying to set him all in or make him fold his weak ace

Fishes never fold a top pair :mrgreen:
chenghao
Great White Shark

Medals: 3
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby xanleo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:46 am

dun understand, why should the one in position fold after u made the raise to 300 after check raising there. u are left with less den 30% if he has an ace.
xanleo
New Fish

Postby Webo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:56 am

chenghao wrote:Squeeze preflop , you would like to 3bet there and win the pot uncontested preflop
However , since you know the fish is behind you , limping is ok to see a cheap flop

Is he the sort that would see all the way to river then check fold when misses ?
Is he the sort that would call any preflop and fit and fold on the Flop / Turn ?

so at this point i made a strong check-raised to $300 trying to set him all in or make him fold his weak ace

He will call all the way till the river and check fold if miss , Range is wide .. Plays junks like J2 K3 Q4 etc .. Basically a gambler

xanleo wrote:dun understand, why should the one in position fold after u made the raise to 300 after check raising there. u are left with less den 30% if he has an ace.

I try to represent a strong hand there with the check-raised .. He had $450 and bet 100 on the turn leaving $350 behind (pot $364).. Then i made a strong check raised to $300 , that will basically make him move all in or fold but he just call at this spot (wtf?) .. And with Ax on that board , i will fold if i was him .. u will have so many hands outbeat u (2pair , set , straight , Ace with higher kicker) .. Well if u get what i mean ..
Webo
New Fish

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby xanleo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:01 am

Webo wrote:
chenghao wrote:Squeeze preflop , you would like to 3bet there and win the pot uncontested preflop

He will call all the way till the river and check fold if miss , Range is wide .. Plays junks like J2 K3 Q4 etc .. Basically a gambler

xanleo wrote:dun understand, why should the one in position fold after u made the raise to 300 after check raising there. u are left with less den 30% if he has an ace.

I try to represent a strong hand there with the check-raised .. He had $450 and bet 100 on the turn leaving $350 behind (pot $364).. Then i made a strong check raised to $300 , that will basically make him move all in or fold but he just call at this spot (wtf?) .. And with Ax on that board , i will fold if i was him .. u will have so many hands outbeat u (2pair , set , straight , Ace with higher kicker) .. Well if u get what i mean ..

not many ppl do well with this kind of check raising method, u took at stab at the pot for 77 why check the turn to induce a bet when u have a strong hand or even an ace ? most people will think you are jus betting out with a flush draw and hence call ur check raise on the turn for 300 and when a heart does nt drop they can still call ur shove even if its a top pair there. nth wrong about that, u had 13 outs if he has A4 u only had 12 outs. anyway, after u reraise for 300 ur not going to fold even if he is shoving you so why shove u when hes only going to get called by better ?
xanleo
New Fish

Postby Webo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:43 am

xanleo wrote:
Webo wrote:

not many ppl do well with this kind of check raising method, u took at stab at the pot for 77 why check the turn to induce a bet when u have a strong hand or even an ace ? most people will think you are jus betting out with a flush draw and hence call ur check raise on the turn for 300 and when a heart does nt drop they can still call ur shove even if its a top pair there. nth wrong about that, u had 13 outs if he has A4 u only had 12 outs. anyway, after u reraise for 300 ur not going to fold even if he is shoving you so why shove u when hes only going to get called by better ?

15outs to be exact , 14 if he has A4 .. (A deck has 52 cards - 18cards (hands) + board 4 = 30cards left in the deck , I just need to hit 50% of the deck) .. Maybe the check-raised was unnecessary , but i don't see why calling 70% of ur stack instead of moving all in .. the check raised was basically getting him committed if hes 'calling' .. So u will just flat his raise and see the river at this point?
Webo
New Fish

Postby xanleo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:48 pm

u can't count like that, cos if u assume that there are 18 card hands definetely 1/4 of them on average are having diamonds/anyother straight outs u need. well we'll jus keep that and go on, it depends if i think that hes not folding his hand either ways, afew situations would be either to 1)bet the turn again 2)check shove him since u already wanted to commit him for his whole stack and most likely fold an ace 3) jus flat if u feel that his valuebet is too cheap.
xanleo
New Fish

Postby xanleo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:51 pm

anyway dude, since u are playing 2/5 by now u shud know that there are people out there who will just call you on the turn to see ur action on the river. playing those kind of stakes u'd hardly get anyone whos a real nutjob
xanleo
New Fish

Postby YeuLy » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:45 pm

Probably he have nut blocker ,
YeuLy
ABC Poker Player

Postby razey » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:41 pm

probably you should shove or fold pre flop. cannot call
razey
ABC Poker Player