Anti LAG Strategy with Short Stack

Discuss ring game approaches and strategies here

Anti LAG Strategy with Short Stack

Postby DM101 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:07 am

Taken this article from banditpoker. Quite interesting to read and would like to share with the kakis here. :D
I did tried this strat and won 1 1/2 buy ins and headed south :mrgreen:

Online poker players seems to become more and more loose and aggressive. If they are weak its fine for you. You will take their money in the long run, even if they will give you a high standard deviation. On their lucky days they can win really big from you but most of the time they will loose their money.

But there is also a lot of relatively strong loose aggressive players out there now days especially in the 6 seated tables I prefer to play.

And it can be very frustrating for a tight aggressive player to play against this player type.

They raise pre almost every hand and you fold and fold again. Until you get a big pair. You raise big pre flop, 2 callers. Flop comes J-9-2 rainbow. Of course you bet the flop big, 1 caller. A 5 on turn and you have to bet strong here too. But now you are re raised all-in. Since you know the raiser is bluffing and semi bluffing frequency you have to call and he win with his J-9. This is not good. Even if your preflop raise where relatively big your opponent ends up winning a pot big enough to justify his loose preflop call.

So what can you do to fight back against this kinds of opponents?

You can bet much bigger preflop with your good cards . Then you are not giving the necessary odds for loose calls, but it can also result in that your opponents just fold those pots and you ends up winning only the blinds with your AA.

You will beat them if you can get a good read on them and fold when they have you beat. But this kind of players can call with almost any two cards and its nearly impossible to get a read on them. And if you fold too often to their big raises they will run you over with bluffs.

But there is one very good strategy against the loose aggressive players which will make you beat them big in the long run and in addition gives you a very low standard deviation.

The Short Stack Strategy

If you consequently play with a short stack against loose and loose aggressive players and correctly adjusts to short stack play, a lot of things change and most of them to your advantage.

The typical buy in in no limit Holdem are 100 times the BB. And almost all good players buy in for the maximum amount. But is this the best stack size? Maybe it is if you are superior your opponents in every way, but most of the time you are not.

Against loose aggressive opponents a stack size of 25-35 times the BB gives you a big advantage.

If you are in a NL1-2 game with a stack of 60 you still raise to 12 preflop with a good hand. Now you are only offering implied odds of 4:1 for your opponents and it can never be correct to call with hands like J-9. But they will still call you. Even if its wrong to call because of your small stack your opponents will almost never adjust to this.

With a raise and a call in front of you can go all in with hands like A-K, A-Q and 99. To do so with a big stack is suicide, when you are called they probably have AA or KK, but with this stack size it becomes correct.

And if you have a raise in front of you when you have a big pair its just to go all in. And they will call you with all sorts of hands. They feel like they can take a chance with this limited amount and call your short all in.

A big advantage is that your opponents if they don’t know you will probably underestimate your game, most short stacked players are weak.

Your opponents will also have much harder to bluff you. Your odds for calling will almost always be very good and you don’t risk much by calling.

There are of course some downsides too. You cant bluff your opponents often. Your stack are too small to scare anybody. You will be called often so you always need a decent hand when you are in a pot.

You cant call raised pots with some types of hands like small pairs and suited connectors, you can only play medium and big pairs and big cards.

When you double up your stack is not that short anymore so you have to adjust your strategy, or you can leave the table and start with a small stack on another table.
DM101
Site Admin

Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Re: Anti LAG Strategy with Short Stack

Postby newbie » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:10 pm

nit!
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 1
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1)

Postby AsiaPokerAcademy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:13 pm

I don't agree with the first half of his article. The reason he seems to get into trouble is he is building big pots out of position with mediocre hands. AA is good hand, but not when you bet, and your opponent calls (in position) and then you bet again and he raises. His response is "Since you know the raiser is bluffing and semi bluffing frequency ..." you better get your money in? That's crazy talk. If I know a player thinks about me this way, all I have to do is float them with big hands and wait for them to stack off with one pair.

The writer's problem isn't that his opponents are too aggressive, it is that isn't good at playing post flop. A short stack strategy will suit him well, as he won't have to make post-flop decisions :)
AsiaPokerAcademy
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 2
Helpful Kaki (2)

Postby newbie » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:54 pm

haha heard that ow? you suck postflop!
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 1
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1)

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby DM101 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:55 pm

Like the writer mentioned, it's a short stack play.
I was boring just trying out this strategy and it worked anyway.
Charles, you hv a problem ? :evil:
DM101
Site Admin

Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby AsiaPokerAcademy » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:36 pm

Haha, it's not a suck vs. not suck issue- :)

Actually, I am sure the short stack strategy works well. I know a lot of beginners who have gotten their starts with SS strategy. It is a good way to play NL and not risk a lot or face tough decisions. I think you forgo a little in earnings though, as you won't earn maximum profit from your opponents' big mistakes (provided they make big mistakes)
AsiaPokerAcademy
Challenge Poker Player

Helpful Kaki (2)

Postby ohboy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:49 pm

AsiaPokerAcademy wrote:I don't agree with the first half of his article. The reason he seems to get into trouble is he is building big pots out of position with mediocre hands. AA is good hand, but not when you bet, and your opponent calls (in position) and then you bet again and he raises. His response is "Since you know the raiser is bluffing and semi bluffing frequency ..." you better get your money in? That's crazy talk. If I know a player thinks about me this way, all I have to do is float them with big hands and wait for them to stack off with one pair.

The writer's problem isn't that his opponents are too aggressive, it is that isn't good at playing post flop. A short stack strategy will suit him well, as he won't have to make post-flop decisions :)

you are going to get reraised on the flop everytime you raise preflop if all you do is fold.

Now, if you tell me you aren't stupid enough to fold everytime once you notice you keep getting reraised, you have reached the skill level of the author=)
ohboy
Shark

Postby AsiaPokerAcademy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:34 pm

He isn't talking about a flop raise. It's a turn raise (after he continuation bet the flop AND the turn)

Two totally different things.

I by no means advocate a "Fold to flop raises and play weak" style. But betting with a pair, getting called, betting again, and then stacking off to a raise (with top pair) is typically a pretty awful idea. (But it does depend on your opponent)
AsiaPokerAcademy
Challenge Poker Player

Helpful Kaki (2)

Postby ohboy » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:19 am

my bad

gotta read more carefully
ohboy
Shark

Postby newbie » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:36 pm