Building BR

Ask poker-related questions and let the community extend a helping hand
Important Information
Ask a question and the community will answer.

Building BR

Postby Gucci » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:52 am

Why is it that most successful players started building their bankroll from Sngs?
None from cash game(HU,6max or full ring) or MTTs or Tourneys?

Also what are the pros and cons to build a decent bankroll, say 50k, by playing SnGs vs MTT vs tourney vs cash game?
Gucci
New Fish

Re: Building BR

Postby ediotfromne » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:19 pm

I'm sure there is a decent number of people out there who built their rolls from cash games. Obviously it's getting harder these days with training sites out there and people bring smarter/hardworking. The thing about MTT is that even the best player out there would need a huge enough sample to realise his edge or score huge in a MTT eg Sunday Million. That leaves us with SNGs, especially turbos/hyper-turbos which attract the most fishes due to its high 'gambling' factor. This is exactly the reason why you think most people built the rolls from SNGs. Not entirely true though imo, but if u ask me now where the most money is to be made I would say sngs.
ediotfromne
Shark

Postby Gucci » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:37 pm

Most top pros, eg. tom dwan, phil glafond even isildur1 started playing SnGs to build their BR before moving on to cash games. This was back in the days when the games were much much softer, according to them.
And mirco-low stakes cash games are unbeatable because of the rake. So unless you start off playing mid stakes upwards to build your BR, cash games are nearly impossible.

I don't agree that there are the most fishes in SnGs and I don't agree that SnGs has high'gambling' factor. No offence meant but do you know what you're talking about!?
Gucci
New Fish

Postby IceCooler » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:12 pm

If you cant even master your cash game first then forget about SnGs or MTTs until you have a good foundation of the game.

Just my 2 cents worth of sharing.

Cheers.
IceCooler
New Fish

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby chenghao » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:52 am

IceCooler wrote:If you cant even master your cash game first then forget about SnGs or MTTs until you have a good foundation of the game.

Just my 2 cents worth of sharing.

Cheers.

In SnGs and MTTs , everyone tends to be short stacked... anywhere from 10 bb to 50 bb.

For cash games , you can have more than 400 bb or shortstacks .

The way you put it seems to imply that the skill level required for SnGs/MTTs is greater than that of cash games.
chenghao
Great White Shark

Medals: 3
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby Gucci » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:57 pm

Although cash game, single table SnGs, MTT and tourneys have different skill set required, I dare say most experience/decent poker players would agree that the 'highest' level of skill required is for cash games.

What I am asking tho, is WHY do most top pros, eg.tom dwan, phil galfond, viktor blom etc chose to build their bankroll by playing single table SnGs then when they have a deep enough BR then move on to mid stakes cash games? And from what I know, ALL top pros do that. I do not know of ANY top pros who started playing mirco/low stakes cash game or tourneys or MTT to build their roll. Most seem to start from single table SnG then move on to either MTT/Tourney/cash game(6 max/full ring/heads up). I do understand that with the rake, mirco-low stakes cash game is unbeatable, so that option is out.
Gucci
New Fish

Postby IceCooler » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:20 am

ChengHao: I wasnt trying to say that the skill level involved is more in MTTs than in cash games, but to look in depth of the foundation of NLH that you built up upon. Both MTTs and cash are different formats so it would be unfair to say which is better in terms of skill.

Apart from cash games, in MTTs you can have a field of more than 400bb or less than 20bb.

Gucci: No matter what you choose, MTTs and cash are different formats of NLH, pick one that you feel you are more comfortable with and spend a lot of time studying and practising on that format. Doesnt mean that (top pros, eg. tom dwan, phil glafond even isildur1) started from SnG means you have to start from SnG. There are so many different variants of poker to learn which makes the game very interesting.

Cheers.
IceCooler
New Fish

Return to Community Service