Hero call that turns out to be right

Brag about the good, vent over the bad.

Hero call that turns out to be right

Postby NOTNobody » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:11 pm

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hand ... 70FB573D9D

Although my hero call turns out to be right, personally, I think I played pretty badly.

If it's you, how would you have played out this hand? Check-raise the flop? Raise on the turn?

For discussion sake, I made this call because I feel that Player 6 made an unnecessary shove. Player 3 and myself check the river, thus showing quite a bit of weakness.

If he have flush or better, it would made sense to raise for value.

If he have top pair, he could have check back and take down the pot without taking much risk.

However, his shove shows that he have something that would not win in showdown. He do not want to risk making a small raise and get called or check-raised.
NOTNobody
New Fish

Re: Hero call that turns out to be right

Postby ediotfromne » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:32 pm

you had top pair. no way you are folding.
ediotfromne
Shark

Postby chenghao » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:35 pm

NOTNobody wrote:http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hands/Boom/6641763_70FB573D9D

Although my hero call turns out to be right, personally, I think I played pretty badly.

If it's you, how would you have played out this hand? Check-raise the flop? Raise on the turn?

For discussion sake, I made this call because I feel that Player 6 made an unnecessary shove. Player 3 and myself check the river, thus showing quite a bit of weakness.

If he have flush or better, it would made sense to raise for value.

If he have top pair, he could have check back and take down the pot without taking much risk.

However, his shove shows that he have something that would not win in showdown. He do not want to risk making a small raise and get called or check-raised.

I would have raised preflop or fold preflop to make things easier for myself
chenghao
Great White Shark

Medals: 3
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby NOTNobody » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:13 am

ediotfromne wrote:you had top pair. no way you are folding.

On the contrary, I might have folded if Player 3 called that all in. It's 3 handed after all. I was pretty sure Player 3 would call if he have at least a TPTK.

Fortunately, Player 3 folded and I made that call because I was suspicious of the shove.

chenghao wrote:I would have raised preflop or fold preflop to make things easier for myself

You're right, I was going to fold preflop with that hand UTG. But it's one of those times where I haven't been dealt any playable hand for several orbits. So I sort of make do with Q10 off.

As I encountered plenty of players 3-betting 10 to 15 BBs (it's quite profitable actually, cuz you're getting around 4.5BBs for each 3-bet) at the stakes I was playing. If I raise with my hand, I can't call any insane 3-bets without premium hands.

If my hand doesn't hit on the flop, a C-bet that gets called would mean I have to give up my hand. If my hand hit, I will still have to worry about kicker problem if my C-bet gets called.

So to play safe, I chose to just limp to avoid crazy 3-bettors. If I don't hit on the flop, I can fold easily. If I hit on the flop, I can still check-call to keep the pot under control. Most of the time, people will C-bet even if they missed, so I was only trying to profit a little from their C-bets.
NOTNobody
New Fish

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby chenghao » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:21 pm

NOTNobody wrote:As I encountered plenty of players 3-betting 10 to 15 BBs (it's quite profitable actually, cuz you're getting around 4.5BBs for each 3-bet) at the stakes I was playing. If I raise with my hand, I can't call any insane 3-bets without premium hands.

If you have some sort of tracker , watch their Preflop 3 bet stats as well as fold to 4bet stats.

Watch out for those who 3bet you with aggression range between 1 and 1.5

4bet more those who 3bet you with aggression being more than 1.5

I prefer to raise or fold , seldom call.
chenghao
Great White Shark

Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby gosubay » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:57 pm

Fold Preflop - Limp/calling this hand is not a good play and QTo is extremely weak in UTG
Flop Call is standard
Turn - Hmm Once it gets 3way I feel like it's really hard to continue. I just fold Turn esp after the blind c/c Turn.
River - I think this is a clear fold when the flush completes. You are only beating busted straight draws now and you lose to flushes, 2 pairs, sets etc. It's extremely optimistic to assume that villain here is bluffing every single time.
gosubay
ABC Poker Player

Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Return to Hand Histories - Good & Bad Beats