Did i call a fish bluff or did i fish call a good bluff?

Brag about the good, vent over the bad.

Did i call a fish bluff or did i fish call a good bluff?

Postby Antonius » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:25 am

I apologize in advance for not being familiar with the lingo used to describe hand histories. Please be patient with me =/

1/1 game. Hand - Pocket Js. Position - before dealer. 8 handed.

UTG raise to $25, one caller before me, i called and dealer called. [Pot - $103]

Flop: Q , 7 , 7

Check to me, I check, dealer raises $50 and I call. [Pot - $203]

Turn: J

I hit my set and I checked, and dealer checked.

River: Q

Horrible card for me, i checked and dealer bets out $100. I put him on a Qs full making a value bet as there were no draws. A 7s-full would definitely check the river. The only hand I would beat is a complete bluff. I thought for a long time and was 75% leaning towards folding when I finally had the peculiar thought that cash game players tend to bet pretty big when they make hands (maybe it's due to only playing at 1 table at a time lol). I made the call and the dealer mucked.

Although I'm glad i won, i'm still really convinced that I made the wrong call. It's my opinion that 9/10 times the aggressor would have Queens full.

What do you guys think?
Antonius
New Fish

Re: Did i call a fish bluff or did i fish call a good bluff?

Postby big8_fat4_fish189 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:47 pm

Chck on the turn??? I think u should be feeling good with ur hand... if he got q.. he will continue fire the turn too... cash game most players will alway go for value every streets ... if he afraid of 7 in ur range he wants to pot control by chcking the turn... I still think I cant fold the river...
big8_fat4_fish189
New Fish

Postby MJFX » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:33 am

1/1 game, open 25?
MJFX
Great White Shark

Medals: 8
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) 3rd Place in a poker tourny (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1) Helpful Kaki (2)

Postby boycham » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:00 pm

To my opinion is that is a good small ball play~ Reason is the pot odd is worth for a call with ur Jsfull..

Ratio Showdown - ur bet amount : pot amount = $175 : $403 = 1 : 2.3

Ratio River be4 the button bet - ur bet amount : pot amount = $75 : $203 = 1 : 2.7

Pls correct me if my calculation wrong~
boycham
New Fish

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby NOTNobody » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:53 pm

I don't think your river call was fishy, his river bluff wasn't fishy as well. The main thing is the check on the turn.

You've made Jack full of 7, and you decides to check-raise him I suppose. As he didn't bite, it became hard for you when the Q arrive on the river. That was a risk you took when you check the turn, and you're somewhat priced in to call his river bet anyway.

It's all in hindsight lah. Because I am not the one playing that hand, and I already know how the run out is like, so it's easier to say what could have been a better move.

I believe if I am in your spot, I'll probably do the same thing. Attempt to check raise on the turn. Then forced to make the right call and feel fishy. But then again, it certainly wasn't a fishy play.
NOTNobody
New Fish

Return to Hand Histories - Good & Bad Beats