How do play mid pairs?

Anything poker-related, and which doesn't fit into other forum categories

How do play mid pairs?

Postby ATAT » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:57 am

I just started playing poker about 6 months ago... I always get burned playing mid pairs? How do you play them? I am really confused, I need help!
ATAT
New Fish

Re: How do play mid pairs?

Postby Nicefingers » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:10 am

Well, mid pairs are just cards to call for set mining. If you don't hit set on the flop and there are overcards to it. Check/fold unless you have super nit read on your opponent.
Nicefingers
Shark

Medals: 2
Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1)

Postby ATAT » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:20 pm

Thanks.....

Guess I should also determine how much money I want to invest per flop, right?
ATAT
New Fish

Postby Nicefingers » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:35 am

if u mean a cbet after u raise with mid pairs..................ya. but its still a check/fold if there are overcards and there's a bet/call/raise by others unless u try to be funky with nit read.
Nicefingers
Shark

Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1)

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby suitedpairs29 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:26 am

i limp in with most mid pairs. always evaluate how much you want to invest preflop, a good rule of thumb is less than 10% of your stack. also, you have to see your opponents stack. if he has less than 10x of his bet, then set mining is not profitable as he is not going to give you the proper odds to draw to them
suitedpairs29
Challenge Poker Player

Postby asiangravy » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:12 pm

you to do more thinking to be playing post flop with your mid PP. Fo beginners it would be more advisable to just set mine with your PP and limit post flop play.
asiangravy
Shark

Long Jie Participant (1) APPT Participant (1)

Postby felixleong » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:37 pm

The way I play mid pairs is as follows, quite conservative and generally very profitable

Preflop
If 6-max table, will always wanna open with mid pairs from any position with 3-4bb raise.
9 man table mostly raise and ok to open limp in a passive table. ( at a tough table fold mid pairs from early positions )

Postflop
Generally try to play a small pot with an unimproved pair ( usually trying to take down on flop if not check down to river, at occasions double barrel down an opponent who I think is highly likely drawing)
Most of the EV comes with hitting a mid set and playing it aggressively and hoping your opponent over-commits with hands like toppairtopkicker or ovepair. (example A48 rainbow board), if the board is drawish always try to play it fast, if its dry and likely that your opponent has miss the board then consider slowplaying.

If you look at your pokertracker stats, all your pairs should be green (making you money)

good luck at the tables ^_^

Felix
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby felixleong » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:39 pm

oh i forgot to add
Against open raiser
I usually mostly flat call preflop for set mining, the earlier the position of the opener the more I want to set mine ( cause his range will be more narrow and more likely to be premium pair then will pay you set off postflop)
when I'm in the blinds against stealer (CO or BUT with steal over 40%) I would try to raise sometimes to take the pot down preflop as set mining OOP is lesser EV

cheers ^_^
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Return to General Poker Chat