CO ($16.15)
HERO ($84.24)

Dealt to Hero 9:heart: J:heart: [9h] [Jh]

UTG Folds , HJ Folds , CO Folds , HERO Raises To $1.5 , BB Calls $1

Flop ($2.5) J:diamond: 2:heart: T:club: [Jd] [2h] [Tc]
BB Checks , HERO Bets $2 , BB Calls $2

Turn ($6.5) J:diamond: 2:heart: T:club: 5:heart: [Jd] [2h] [Tc] [5h]
BB Checks , HERO Bets $4 , BB Raises To $16 , HERO Calls $12

River ($38.5) J:diamond: 2:heart: T:club: 5:heart: 7:diamond: [Jd] [2h] [Tc] [5h] [7d]
BB Bets $36.7 (all-in), HERO Calls $36.7

Opponent is an aggressive regular 24/21. Do you shove or just fold the turn?
rachaelkuser
New Fish

Re: How to play the turn?

Postby NOTNobody » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:26 pm

I feel like Hero should have reraise the turn to get more information from the BB. A reraise would most likely take back the initiative from the BB instead of giving up the initiative like that and be forced into making tough decision which will be wrong either way.

Had Hero reraise the turn, BB shove all-in, it will be an easy fold. If Hero reraise the turn, BB fold, that's a pot win right there and then. If Hero reraise the turn, BB call, BB will not likely be shoving with a bluff on river, since Hero did show a lot of strength during the turn.
NOTNobody
New Fish

Postby MJFX » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:12 pm

It will be interesting why u called the turn.
What was your plan for the river?
MJFX
Great White Shark

Medals: 8
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) 3rd Place in a poker tourny (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1) Helpful Kaki (2)

Postby cutegoldfish » Sat May 03, 2014 10:06 pm

Hi,

pre flop - standard raise

flop - good bet for value on this wet board, you can consider going even bigger maybe 2.20

turn - definitely betting here again for value, the turn brings a flush draw on board so there are more draws that can call us, your sizing looks fine. the check raise is very big, we care calling 12 into direct pot of 32 for direct pot odds of 37.5% and our odds for the flush draw is 17.3%. which means that for the call to be correct we need to win a total of extra $69 in order for our call to be profitable. if we fold we win 0, by calling we keep our equity in the pot which is 17.3% X (turn pot size of $38.5) and we own about $6.66. if we win the river we are guaranteed another (turn pot size - our share) = $23.84. our shortfall for a profitable call is $69-23.84 = $45.16. villain only has $36.7 behind.

another consideration is if he is check raising light on the turn?if he is then our share of the pot is larger than $6.66 because top pair might win more often on showdown, and if he is check raising only strong hands then our equity in the pot is less than $6.66 because we have reverse implied odds against sets if they make full houses and also the nut flush draw (which we are ahead of but this is the strongest part of his strong check raise range).

if hes check raising wide then we should call here and call river.

however check raising on turn is usually very strong and we are behind and we cannot win enough if we hit our flush so ill fold to the turn check raise.

river - as played i think hes not bluffing the river so often and we are often beat here though we have 33% odds i think we are good less than 33% of the time so ill fold.

Thanks
Xavier Fok
cutegoldfish
New Fish

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby MJFX » Sun May 04, 2014 12:35 pm

NOTNobody wrote:I feel like Hero should have reraise the turn to get more information from the BB. A reraise would most likely take back the initiative from the BB instead of giving up the initiative like that and be forced into making tough decision which will be wrong either way.

Had Hero reraise the turn, BB shove all-in, it will be an easy fold. If Hero reraise the turn, BB fold, that's a pot win right there and then. If Hero reraise the turn, BB call, BB will not likely be shoving with a bluff on river, since Hero did show a lot of strength during the turn.

re raise turn can't fold to all in. Pot committed liaoz
MJFX
Great White Shark

Medals: 8
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) 3rd Place in a poker tourny (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1) Helpful Kaki (2)

Postby Cmj1234 » Thu May 08, 2014 6:45 pm

your J9s wont beat much hand of his range, if he is playing 24/21, but still depends on hand samples. Roughly he had two pair or a set of two..overall, you should just fold to his shove
Cmj1234
New Fish

Postby wreiza » Fri May 09, 2014 11:17 am

think turn- b/c river fold to a jam if bricks out and hand does not improve is as ok line

If planning to call his river Jam on a brick then perhaps 4 bet jam turn be a line I would prefer.

my 2 cents
wreiza
New Fish

Postby xerofied » Tue May 20, 2014 12:47 pm

should have folded the turn.

but if BB had more money behind i'd probly call the turn raise because runner runner flush will get you paid more often than not specially if BB has a set which i think he does and you have position. if a flush were to come on the river, BB will most likely make a bet then its up to you to make a juicy raise to get paid. if its a brick on the river then just fold :D

but then again i play more live poker than online...lol
xerofied
New Fish

Postby IceCooler » Tue May 20, 2014 2:25 pm

Firstly building a big pot is not the main objective here given that J9 is an inferior hand and that flop can bring potential showdown value. Here is how I would approach if villain is an aggressive player. I would check on the flop to see what he does on the turn in position. If he bets on the turn we can still call turn to see the river without inflating the pot. If he checks turn then we can safely bet out J9 for value. More often he will bet the turn with any two cards given that we check flop and he is aggressive which gives him the chance to bluff turn and river. If he were to bluff the river he wouldn't shove as you have done a pot control on flop n turn which keep the pot small and he will be less inclined to try and steal a smaller pot.

Just my 2 cents sharing.

Cheers
IceCooler
New Fish

Return to Cash Games