XavierFok Adventures

Blogs of Professional Poker Players

XavierFok Adventures

Postby cutegoldfish » Fri May 02, 2014 9:22 pm

Hi,

Xavier Fok here, currently 25 years old, holding a job as a professional financial adviser(quit since june 2014), with poker as a hobby. I also help out with poker hand strategy as a hand judge on XXXXXX website. The purpose of this blog is to share with the community my learning in poker, hopefully helping others progress over time and also getting valuable feedback to improve my game.

I am very happy to be interviewed by a blogger and requested interview from my local newspaper.

Email from Maureen Koh from Singapore's Tabloid Papers

Click here for link to interview by famous blogger pris chew

Being a student of poker for about 5 years since 2009 November, I am very lucky to be rewarded with a reasonable income. However I faced some personal challenges as my ex of 7 years left me around June 2013, and I could not focus on working and ended up spending away most of the money inside my poker account. I am now in the progress of building up my account again from NL25 and NL50 6max zoom tables, thankfully possible because of a loan from my good buddy.

I also realized that I needed something that gave me a lot of satisfaction in my life. Tried out teaching tuition at the secondary levels, gave tuition at university levels for excel programming and I felt there is more I can do to impact lives, but yet unsure what it was going to be. Then I helped out as a hand judge on XXXXXX and found that more value was being delivered because this knowledge is more directly related to financial income. After more searching, accidentally I found myself as a professional financial adviser.

I became one because of an existing system which I believed really delivered value to my clients.However within the first few weeks I sorta complained and hated it because there was so much that needed to be done, and I couldn't understand what was really going to come out of it and how the client is going to benefit from the many hours of work that went behind which the client probably would never know? Only after servicing a few clients completely, did the realization set in that all the work that was done was designed to provide long term maximum value to my clients, in an area that mattered the most to them, more than money, more than work and results. I love my job, and there is so much more to learn, improve and share.
Last edited by cutegoldfish on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cutegoldfish
New Fish

Re: XavierFok Adventures

Postby cutegoldfish » Sat May 03, 2014 11:13 pm

on 28 May I realised bills were about to be paid and I didnt exactly have enough cash, so I decided to go on a 3 day intensive grind. It was been about 3 months since I last touched poker due to my commitments as a financial advisor, and luckily it turned out pretty okay.

this was my first time playing 8 tables of zoom across NL50 and NL25. i have tried many times and failed to focus, but this time round i did not have a choice, either i was going to make some money at the lower limits, or i was about to get kicked out of the house by my parents and have my health policies lapse. i fear that no insurance company will want to cover me again given that i have already made a claim previously on my hospitalisation bills. i forced myself to keep grinding, in my mind was the fact that my loan from my friend was going to expire in a week and if i dont make some money i might never have the chance to again.

somehow all the videos i watched and strategy i learnt seemed to pop up in my mind and i was making many moves that would not be so obvious to me. i thought its good to discuss a hand i felt was common enough yet many people play it wrongly.

Poker Stars $50.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 2485379
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $34.32 - VPIP: 35, PFR: 33, 3B: 22, AF: 5.3, Hands: 187
SB: $50.00 - VPIP: 20, PFR: 15, 3B: 11, AF: 1.9, Hands: 324
BB: $51.73 - VPIP: 26, PFR: 19, 3B: 7, AF: 4.7, Hands: 1171
Hero (UTG): $67.56 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 19, 3B: 8, AF: 3.7, Hands: 1289323
MP: $50.00 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 15, 3B: 9, AF: 2.5, Hands: 280
CO: $50.00 - VPIP: 21, PFR: 19, 3B: 8, AF: 3.5, Hands: 2223

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is UTG with A :heart: Q :heart:
Hero raises to $1.50, MP calls $1.50, 4 folds

Flop: ($3.75) 7 :club: A :club: 3 :spade: (2 players)
Hero checks, MP bets $1.82, Hero calls $1.82

Turn: ($7.39) 4 :diamond: (2 players)
Hero checks, MP checks

River: ($7.39) 8 :diamond: (2 players)
Hero bets $6.00, MP calls $6

This is a common situation where Hero opens from (EP MP) early positions and then gets called by a later position (MP CO BU) with a somewhat tight calling range and then the flops comes an A with 2 disconnected cards. The common strategy here is to bet for value.

However a review of my previous hands played this way together with professional advice shows that it is more profitable to check and call all streets and then bet if villain checks back any street.

The reasoning is this, his range is very tight and with a hand like AT AJ AQ we are not always very far ahead, because his calling range on this board is usually AJ+ 77 33 and middle pocket pairs like 88-KK. for 88-kk middle pocket pairs he is calling a maximum of 2 streets, so bet bet bet is the same as check bet bet because hes only calling 2 streets. against AJ+ value is very thin so betting and checking makes no difference. against sets like 77 33 betting always loses money. I'm leaving out the flush draws since they represent a very small part of his range.

however if we check, he could now bet AJ+ 77 33 and a tonne of bluffs that we can call down for 3 streets, essentially now we face a weaker range than betting all streets.

In conclusion with AJ+ oop against tight ranges on dry Axx board its better to check/call and bet when checked behind.

However for fishes this is not the optimum strategy, because their ranges are much wider and they are also willing to call much wider. fishes meaning their calling range is something like 10-15%+ and fold to CB less than 65%. their calling range will consists of many more worse Ax, and worse pairs and gutshot draws and flush draws so ill bet 3 streets for value against a fish.
cutegoldfish
New Fish

Postby ediotfromne » Sat May 03, 2014 11:21 pm

gl bro with your goals. great to have someone hear blogging to keep the forum alive which is kinda deadish.
ediotfromne
Shark

Postby cutegoldfish » Sun May 04, 2014 2:07 am

ediotfromne wrote:gl bro with your goals. great to have someone hear blogging to keep the forum alive which is kinda deadish.

thanks ediot, just doing my part for the community
cutegoldfish
New Fish

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby cutegoldfish » Tue May 06, 2014 4:26 pm

just saw an interesting hand i thought i should share, made out in a video. i was wondering which is easier to understand? reading words or watching a video? I'm concerned if others can catch the way i speak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG0LGQt1 ... e=youtu.be
cutegoldfish
New Fish

Postby cutegoldfish » Sun May 11, 2014 3:37 am

just went swimming at this swimming pool, its very crowded today because the singapore government given out $100 to citizens for use of sports facilities, i guess its going to this crowded in the future and i like it. swam around... 10 laps maybe was chatting with my army mate and learning more about him.
cutegoldfish
New Fish

Postby cutegoldfish » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:47 pm

this will be an update of what i learnt within the past 30 days.

1. building a balanced mental armour

i read up on a book by felix dennis, the founder of dennis publishing, and he mentioned that to be successful in business we need a mental armour to block out the negativity surrounding us, which refers to the discouragement from family and friends to do business/play poker. they mean good for us, and they hope we are better off in a job, however that does not help us become rich.

at the same time this mental armour CANNOT be too thick, it needs to be thin enough for us to be able to humble ourselves and learn from those who are better than us and constantly question ourselves where we can improve.

my issue - while usually people have a mental armour thats too thin, mine happens to be one of the rare cases where it is too thick. i was too egoistic and refused to take mentors and learn new things, thinking i was the best and can find out for myself. apparently this learning attitude sucks and only brings failure.

the problem is though, that i got the feedback very late. i built this mental armour sometime back in 2006. i was a student in middle/high school, known as secondary school in singapore, and my results were extremely good. this learning attitude has caused me to deteriorate since then, but the problem was that the deterioration was not obvious to me, because i dropped from extremely good to very good, and then to good, and then to above average, and then finally to average and then fail. it was only when i reached FAIL then i realised that all along i have been deteriorating.

if not for the insurance job i took up in march 2014, i would never have noticed this problem. i happen to see another person with the same problem. he acheived success early in life, and then become very egoistic and refused to learn and then his results went down. and also its not obvious because his results are still very good, it is just not extremely good as last time, and now it has deteriorated to good. a quick look at the results sheet might not tell you much, but if you look at the history you notice he is steadily deteriorating.

but that is not exactly strong enough for me to change. this problem has caused some of my friends to leave me, in particular my fiance, when we were together for 7 years and buying a house together. that was a major turning point for me to relook at my attitude and examine where i went wrong and could have done better.

now i focus on my goal, block out negative comments from family and friends, while keeping in mind they mean good for me. and at the same time i remind myself the fastest way to learning is to learn from those better than me.

-------------------------

2. mentor

those that are successful usually speak of having a mentor, i recall the statistics are something like 30% of them have a mentor, and 90% of that 30% say that their success is very much because of their mentor. and for that remaining 70% who do not have a mentor, they read up alot of books, so in a sense the book is their mentor, which is also written by someone better than them.

my issue - i have refused mentors for many years, thinking that it shows that i am weak. now i constantly seek people better than me and learn from them. and from previous experience, i am now better at choosing the relevant and correct mentor.

i am now taking coaching from better poker players and investing in courses etc.

i am also reading books on business (from the correct mentors who actually own businesses i want to own), to learn more of their mindset instead of watching time wasting youtube videos or playing games.
------------------------------------------------------------

3. 1% improvement

i recently read this post on how a coach trained his British team to do very well in the Tour De France cycling event - http://jamesclear.com/marginal-gains

what he did is relatively simple, everyday he finds one small thing to improve on, which may or may not be cycling related.

the usual strategy that everyone hears of would be to come for training and just keep grinding the basics, paddle more, longer distances but we already know that.

this 1% focuses on easy to do things, like for example SLIGHTLY better tyres, slightly ergonomic seats, and non cycling related stuff like having a more comfortable pillow during sleep, and how to wash hands correctly so you dont get an infection.

my issue - i used to focus on significant big improvements, im not sure why i landed up in this belief. so i ignored every small situation that could call for an improvement. and this shows very obviously in my red line, it just drops like ****. and i tend to fail at every big change because they are just too big an adjustment for my body and mind to handle, for example sudden change in diet from 4 meals a day of meat to 1 meal of vegetables, or sudden 2 hour exercises after sitting at the desk for years.

so i started this 1% improvement thing around 10-15 days ago, with the focus on SMALL SUSTAIANBLE CHANGES. i ate one less fried chicken wing, instead of 5, i ordered 4. i added one extra leaf of lettuce to my diet. and now im eating way less chicken wings and i eat one whole lettuce every 2 days. and i actually enjoy eating it instead of having to force it down my throat.

i added in small sets of exercises like 10 push ups, and i end up doing around 100-150 push ups daily (i'm stopping this for other reasons)

im decreasing/regulating my sleep hours. i used to sleep around 12 hours daily, i have issues falling asleep and waking up. and when i make the effort to wake up 5 mins earlier, shorten my entertainment by 5mins etc, and now im sleeping somewhere closer to 9-10 hours. its still too much, but its much better than the 12 i used to have and im looking to decrease further to 8 hours.

poker playing mindset
i have noticed one particular pattern in my poker playing, and that is occasionally when i am very involved in the thinking of other players and the game, so much so that i actually exceed my schedule and miss skype messages, i tend to do better. i guess this has very much to do with the mental armour being reduced. i used to ignore what everyone else is thinking assuming i am correct and focus on why i am right. i have since made the shift to consider why other people do what they do and why it could possibly be better, or worse and then learn from that. and since then i became more involved in the game and the results can be very obvious. i now make an effort to immerse myself in the game and reduce distractions from other applications.

attention span

my attention span is very short and difficult for me to maintain focus and motivation for long hours. ill touch on motivation later. this paragraph is on focus. everytime i work on something, my focus drifts away and time is wasted leading to low productivity. i started making marginal improvements under the "1% improvement project", my friend rio shared with me this pomodoro timer, what it does is fairly simple, it sets a 25minute duration for work and then tells your when its up and take a 5 minute break. i used it around 1-2 months ago and have used it everyday. though it takes away 10mins from every hour, which is a 16.7% reduction in time, i noticed my productivity has shot up tremendously, and i am working more hours. we are vulnerable human beings and our mind is not made up of steel. it breaks down and we need to take care of it and give it breaks.

ill cover more on motivation later, im now more motivated, more productive, work longer hours, but definitely still far from where i want to be.
cutegoldfish
New Fish

Postby cutegoldfish » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:15 pm

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
[tg]BU$25.00:///////;SB (Hero)$25.10:///////;BB$23.24:///////;MP2$26.35:///////;MP3$120.76:///////;CO$41.78:///////;[/tg]

Preflop: Hero is SB with [As] , [Kc] .
2 folds, CO raises to $0.75, BU folds, Hero raises to $2.55, BB folds, CO calls $1.80.

Flop: ($5.35) [2h] , [3d] , [5s] (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $2.80, Hero calls $2.80.

Turn: ($10.95) [9c] (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $5.50, Hero calls $5.50.

River: ($21.95) [5c] (2 players)
Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: $21.95.
Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of fives( [As] [Kc] ).
CO shows a pair of fives( [Th] [Kh] ).

Hero wins with a pair of fives( [As] [Kc] ).

the usual move here after 3betting in the SB would be to bet many boards. however lets think about CO open/calling range here, its going to consist of

1. around 50-60% pocket pairs
2. broadways Ax 20-25%
3. broadways non Ax, which is Kx Qx around 15-20%
4. suited connectors and everything else 10%

for 1, none of them are folding, they either have a set or an overpair

for 2, we are ahead of most broadway Ax and they are not folding either and might call one or 2 bets and may bet themselves

for 3, these hands may float once or none and likely to bet somewhere to bluff us off. if we bet we lose value when they fold, but if we check we might 1-2 streets of bluffs from them and also if we hit an A or K we dominate their range.

for 4 these usually folds but might try to bluff once or twice at us.

so we notice that checking here is more profitable as we mainly
1. decrease the value that PP gets from us which is majority of the range, prevent us from being raised off our good equity hand

2. get bluff bets from everything else which we are ahead of one or 2 streets.
cutegoldfish
New Fish

Postby nutupshutup » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:53 pm

cool story dude

just curious, if you're a financial advisor and you previously only made a reasonable income from poker, why are you broke from a month to month basis, almost facing the possibility of not being able to cover bills/policies? Did something happen to you ?
nutupshutup
New Fish

Postby cutegoldfish » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:19 pm

nutupshutup wrote:cool story dude

just curious, if you're a financial advisor and you previously only made a reasonable income from poker, why are you broke from a month to month basis, almost facing the possibility of not being able to cover bills/policies? Did something happen to you ?

good question, everytime i have an income from poker, ill invest it somewhere, so for example i started quik snack pte ltd, a beancurd company located in bugis, in hopes of making that $50k per month. i know that my competencies are NOT there to make $50k per month from poker, maybe the max is $15k per month thats about it. previously i also founded a forex education company, statistical traders asia which has sinced closed doors.

and the financial advisor job is more like a "business", where i tried to build by maybe hiring a group of people to pull customers, a team of people to arrange meetings with investors (which i did not end up doing), and this team is part of a "business" which can be sold. unfortunately it did not turn out that way and i have since stopped being a financial advisor, although i recognise that its a very meaningful job that benefits many people. i need something that fulfills both delivering value to others, delivering value to myself and also something i love doing. unfortunately in this job the part on delivering value to myself is lacking. i recall linked in founder said that its important to have all 3 together in order for a sustainable business.

so far i have not faced the possibility of not paying the bills until... recently which is around 3-4 months ago. i placed my trust in my manager/director in a specific insurance company, and his approach was to go all in to do the business, ignoring all other aspects of my finances. against my better judgement i trusted him, and so did 4 of my other other colleagues. they are now in debt, and not producing results. (in a sense im slightly better? because im just broke?) i take full responsibility for not reflecting back on my business experiences and deciding to go "all-in". no business ever worked for me that way. this is a repeat mistake and i deserve to be punished.

on top of that there were also some "increases" in the bills i had to pay. my annual insurance premiums happened to be due around may-june period for about SGD1k-1.3k, on top of my monthly recurring internet/phone bills of around 200, and i recently took over the water and electrical bills of about 350 monthly, and thats on top of my essential expenses, i would estimate to be somewhere around 500-800?

normally i would not have to pay the electrical/water bills and yearly insurance premiums.

and also there was no income on the financial advisor job, i did not do well, and there were many expenses. they like to go for entertainment, and even if its paid, sometimes we have to pay for the taxi back or sometimes share part of the entertainment cost. while i do not enjoy that form of entertainment, i thought it was worth exploring to perhaps learn something to increase my $$$, unfortunately i still did not find anything worth learning in terms of entertainment expenses, other than it should not be spent, or should be reduced.
cutegoldfish
New Fish

Postby cutegoldfish » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:21 pm

increasing work productivity and work hours

1. diet

this deserves the most credit, so i hope i write enough to reflect that. my diet used to be very unhealthy. worse still it affected work productivity and standard of living. i used to eat fried stuff and all sorts of bad things. i did not resolve to make a change before, because i did not realize the impact it had on my pocket $$$.

diets i previously tried did not exactly work out, because the goals were not really in line with what i wanted. for example losing weight and having muscles. i mean its nice to have, but i wouldn't give up too much for it. however i came across a new diet.

diet to make money - how about that? and of course you get to lose weight and look muscular. thats more interesting, but usually you dont see such diets around, they are just not the interesting thing people want to read.

of course the diet is not too different from everyone else out there. you are supposed to eat alot of vegetables, less carbo etc etc.

the real difference though, is the acknowledgement of human weaknesses. obviously i have alot of them otherwise i wouldnt be eating so much rubbish uncontrollably. most other diets simply say, dont eat this bad thing. however for this diet, its more like, ok eat bad things every 4-5 days. and instead of saying that sets you back, it says YOU NEED to eat bad things every 4-5 days and the results is better than if you DID NOT. ah now i have an excuse to eat rubbish.

next is that the diet is scored. instead of just saying eat this, there is scoring for food, the more green the better so for example

lettuce - green
fried nuts - red
green tea - super green
fish oil - green

so i can actually be more green by eating more of these foods. obviously i dont enjoy eating them as much as fried chicken, but at least now i get some kind of feedback, each nut i eat brings me LESS green, each lettuce i eat makes me more green. obviously its not going to work everyday, there are just some days i feel like eating rubbish, but i default on the diet alot less compared the previous ones i have tried, and the results i get here are better too, and i can see them directly as $$$ in my pocket.

so i went ahead and about like... US100+ of supplements online, to check out how it might improve my brain :s_biggrin: :s_biggrin:

2. pomodoro timer

i have been using this pomodoro timer to help to regulate my work to increase focus during work and also extend my work hours. usually i am only able to work 3 hours, and i would say at maybe 65-70% efficiency. now with the pomodoro timer i am able to work more like 4 hours with close to 80% efficiency. of course i also changed things like diet and exercise, but there was an isolated period where i only changed using the pomodoro and saw increased productivity and work hours.

how the pomodoro works is that every work is a set of 25mins, followed by a 5mins break. the break is supposed to help to refresh the mind to focus on work. and after 4 pomodoros take a longer break like 15-30mins.

during the break im actually playing games on my smartphone, namely clash of clans. which consumes like 3mins of the break. its an disengagement from the task at hand which is poker, however i actually remain at my desk, which is not as good as walking away. (maybe walking away would solve the problem?). and also i need to use some brain juice, i mean i like it, but is it sapping mental energy and decreasing work productivity for the later tasks? im still in search for an answer. i still love the game but im willing to sacrifice 70% of the playing time if it helps my work.

heres the explanation

http://pomodorotechnique.com/

im thinking when i should update this blog? in the earlier part of the day or at the end? if i update this blog at the earlier part of the day, i feel more motivated to work because this is sort of like a warm up. however my mental energy is obviously lower after updating this blog, which is around the 2nd hour of my work. at the end of the day my brain juice is also fried, meaning the quality of my posts would decrease.

however if i just start on palying, i am usually not warmed up, less motivated and also end up playing less, because i dont feel connected to my goals and friends etc. so i think im going to keep at updating this blog at the start of the day as a warm up exercise.

3. exercise sessions
i came across the idea that exercise can help focus on work, promote sleep and of course keep healthy. so i explored several exercises like swimming, stationery exercises, mostly all created by myself. they have some improvements, but nothing fantastic to shout about

and then i came across this bullet proof executive productivity blog, where he discussed how exercise can help to improve work productivity. it is not the first thing on the list, the first is diet, then sleep, then comes exercise.

heres the post >> https://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-body/

i thought that was interesting is that his exercise is very short. he said it was 20 minutes, and in fact i did it in like less than 10 minutes. i was feeling kind of weird, how can u go to the gym for 10mins doing one rep of around 4-5 exercises, and expect to see some results? i mean everyone seems to be doing at least 4-5 reps of the same thing, maybe 7-8 exercises, so they are probably staying at the gym for like at least 45mins, while i come in for 10mins? and the exercises i did was different too. while they were pulling the weights and letting go in a short time frame, i was SLOWLY pulling the weights, as if i am unable to lift it, and then after 5-6 times i leave the machine. i did not see anyone else at the gym doing this. oh well i did not see anyone playing poker last time when i started either, so i thought lets try and see if anything happens.

that night i had one of the best sleeps ever, woke up feeling refreshed and ready to work. wow it worked. of course this is not going to give me some super muscular body, but it does help work and has a side added benefit of reducing fat and adding lean muscle. its only 10mins, this is more value than i asked for.

then i tried to mess around, instead of the recommend 4-5 exercises, i did like 8-9 exercises the next time round. then i went home and just blacked out and slept for like 10 hours instead of the previous 6 hours. im a curious cat, so now i know why they recommended 4-5 exercises. enough to rejuvenate you, but not enough to cause you to be too tired. well i guess i have a little additional lean muscle for the price i paid? no more 8-9 reps for now. 4-5 is good enough for the sleep and productivity.

cutegoldfish
New Fish

Postby cutegoldfish » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:39 pm

cutegoldfish
New Fish

Postby cutegoldfish » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:09 pm

Thoughts from Felix Dennis again,

1. Fight for shares in your company even against your brother for the maximum share possible, but yet give him money if he really needs it but not a single share. Love your brother, but no shares. Love and business is separate.

2. Fire the guys who ask for shares, yet genuinely welcome them with open arms after they fail and come back to work for me. Yet recognize I would do exactly the same as them if I was in their position except fight even harder for the shares. That's the name of the game. I roughly knew it was like this which is why whatever happened the shares were always in my 100% ownership legally no matter what word was going around, or who as running the show.
cutegoldfish
New Fish

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Return to Poker Blogs