Good Bad news?

Anything poker-related, and which doesn't fit into other forum categories

Good Bad news?

Postby Brasstal » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:12 am

http://www.pokernews.com/news/2014/06/s ... -18558.htm

Thoughts?

An official delegation from Singapore met earlier this month with French online gambling regulator ARJEL President Charles Coppolani to analyze France's online gambling legislation in order to see if the French policies can be adapted to Singapore's needs.

During the meeting, the delegation led by Singapore's Second Minister for Home Affairs and Second Minister for Trade and Industry S Iswaran and Singapore's ambassador in Paris Tan York Chor discussed with the French regulator policies implemented to regulate online gambling in France since 2010, when ARJEL was first established.

According to a press release issued by the French regulatory authority for online games, the meeting was requested by Singaporean authorities to learn more about France's approach to online gambling.

"Singapore's Ministry of Home Affairs is highly interested to discover the experiences of different countries," the press release read. "[The Home Affairs Ministry] asked for a meeting with ARJEL's management in order to analyze the French regulatory model, which is known for its strict requirements and performance."

"Since May 2013, the [Singaporean] Ministry of Home Affairs and the Ministry of Social and Family Development are trying to identify a regulatory model for online gaming. In order to create a durable and efficient strategy for the online gaming sector, Singaporean authorities have started to work closely with different industry stakeholders and national regulators."

ARJEL's press release was met with mixed feelings by France's online poker community, as many consider the current regulatory framework to be the main cause of the decline that has been hitting the industry since new regulations began in 2010.

According to the 2014 first quarter report published by the very same ARJEL on June 10, cash game traffic within the regulated market fell by 19% year-over-year, with the turnover generated by ring games moving from a total of €72 million (2013 – Q1) to €65 million (2014 – Q1).

As pointed out by ARJEL's former president and founder Jean-François Vilotte in a PokerNews-exclusive interview published in January, the crisis of the French online poker market should be seen as the result of a combination of factors, which include also the current regulation.

"Seen from a broader perspective, this is a problem of legalized markets competing against non-legalized ones," Vilotte said. "If legalized markets won’t learn how to become more flexible and adjust themselves quicker to what people want, they will keep doing the work for illegal websites and help them to win against their legal competitors."

To question the real efficacy of France's regulation on online gambling and support Vilotte's views on the issue, France’s Observatory of Games (ODJ) and Monitoring Centre for Drugs published in February a controversial industry report that showed how around 47% of France's poker players are still choosing illegal sites for their poker games.

Asked to comment on the issue, however, ARJEL's new president Charles Coppolani explained that the decline has very little to do with the current legislation, but should be instead considered as the result of the ongoing financial crisis and the fact that "poker is no longer as popular as it used to be."
Brasstal
Team PokerStar Asia

Medals: 11
Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (2) APPT Participant (1) RPT Participant (1) FPT Participant (1) WSOP Participant (1) Crowned a poker tournament (1) 3rd Place in a poker tourny (1) Helpful Kaki (1)
Good Seller (1)

Re: Good Bad news?

Postby DM101 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:25 pm

Thank you for the link Bryan.

Let's see what the kakis have to say here.
DM101
Site Admin

Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby nutupshutup » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:39 pm

Have heard from a reputable source(gaming lawyer) that online sites will definitely be banned by end of the year. Hopefully we get some sort of winamax sg by singaporepools filled with recs and gamblers, thats really the best case scenario right now for those looking to play online.
nutupshutup
New Fish

Postby NOTNobody » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:24 pm

We'll probably have our own version of Black Friday. Hopefully APPT will host more live tournaments on more venues more frequently.
NOTNobody
New Fish

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby MJFX » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:50 pm

full time grinders move to Batam? hope internet connection is good there. :lol:
on serious note, at least the government is studying to regulate gaming/ poker rather than ban it altogether.

hope stars will be involved.
MJFX
Great White Shark

Medals: 8
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) 3rd Place in a poker tourny (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1) Helpful Kaki (2)

Postby Sukhv1r » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:12 am

Just thought I'd share, found this earlier.

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/al ... ays-expert

There's reasoning for blocking poker sites, 'while online poker attracts big punters and could be a conduit for money laundering", reaaaaallly hope we can keep stars now :(
Sukhv1r
New Fish

Postby DM101 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:06 am

Sukhv1r wrote:Just thought I'd share, found this earlier.

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/al ... ays-expert

There's reasoning for blocking poker sites, 'while online poker attracts big punters and could be a conduit for money laundering", reaaaaallly hope we can keep stars now :(

Thank you for the update.
DM101
Site Admin

Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)

Postby chenghao » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:28 pm

Allow PS just ban those William hill type of sites la ! arbo throw chips @ garment ! :evil:
chenghao
Great White Shark

Medals: 3

Postby Sukhv1r » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:33 pm

chenghao wrote:Allow PS just ban those William hill type of sites la ! arbo throw chips @ garment ! :evil:

Definitely agree with post above, but in my opinion two things have to happen for Singapore to allow PS

1. They have to realize that with PS, the chances of laundering money will be sufficiently low as even PS (I do believe some other sites do this as well) and online wallets such as Skrill and some of the lesser known ones work to combat with this problem, accounts have been frozen before and of course action has been taken (although I'm not sure about the percentage of cases where they get off scot-free, I'm sure there are definitely some)

2. A deal has to be made between PS & the goverment, at the end of the day the goverment wants two things, money and safety (of any form) for their people. So, the goverment will of course have to be cut in, I believe I read somewhere that some countries are taking roughly 30%, I do not know how it is calculated but I assume somehow filtering the money earned by country and splitting, if I find the article again I will link it here. Also, by banning online Poker completely they REDUCE (because let's face it, sooner or later someone in the doldrums will bet his entire life savings and lose, and not everyone will use the limiting options on PS) the chances of their citizens effectly going broke AND/OR anyone to be scammed (stuff like depositing funds into someone else's poker account and not getting paid, I believe this has happened here before.)

If Singapore's fear is truly it's people gambling their savings away and money laundering then I believe if they delve into this topic deep enough and consider all options, they could come to a decent enough conclusion to make (almost) everyone happy. Also, I urge you to understand this from the goverment's point of view, poker in Singapore I believe is still fairly unknown and a lot of people still do consider it just another gambling card game, and with famous stories of cabbies gambling their savings away and people not getting paid from illegal online betting, our credibility goes even further down the drain because we are also seen as common gambling degenerates. I truly hope the goverment does their research properly before making the decision, because a lot of factors can definitely be controlled if they want to do so, till then, grind till dec and then cash out, just in case :X
Sukhv1r
New Fish

Return to General Poker Chat