3 Poker Things?

Discuss the basics, psychology, probability, table selection etc.

3 Poker Things?

Postby kman » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:59 pm

3 Poker things

What are the 3 things we need to play good poker? And win?

Here is what I believe they are:

1. Skill. (30%) This definitely can be learned and developed. I started with 0 and now maybe I am somewhere in between from zero to infinity. 
2. Luck. (30%) Though many say Poker is a game of skill and not luck I would disagree. I say it is 30% luck or probability of getting the right cards at the right time.
3. Character. (40%) For me the most important one. Being patient and not getting frustrated when getting ‘bad’ cards. I believe I am still in the ‘early stages’ of this part.

Any thoughts on this?
User avatar
kman
ABC Poker Player
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:07 pm
Medals: 1
Long Jie Participant (1)

Re: 3 Poker Things?

Postby suitedpairs29 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:22 pm

I have to agree to some extent to what you said. although I would have to say that in the long run, luck is almost a non-factor. in the short term, say a session of cash game or a single tournament, luck plays a significant factor, but over the course of hundreds or thousands of games, luck breaks down as we are all dealt the same number of pocket aces, get it cracked the same number of times, suck out and get sucked out on the river.

poker is definitely about skill and character, but I feel holding ones composure against intense pressure or tough situations is a skill in itself. so i would say that poker is 90% skill and 10% luck.

this is why you see the same guys make the final table in every major event, its not coz they are the luckiest guys in vegas.

:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

-suitedpairs-
User avatar
suitedpairs29
Challenge Poker Player
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:19 am
Location: Para

Re: 3 Poker Things?

Postby vaevictis » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:58 pm

agree with mike.

90% skill 10% luck.

We talk about luck so much because we focus mainly on short-term results. We get a bad-beat when villian hits his 1% chance of winning and feel so stung about it for a long time. But for the other 99% of the times we win the pot, we forget about them so quickly.

Your skill is also a function of your character. Making good decisions in times of pressure, not tilting, good bankroll management, good discipline to table select, play at donk hour-times, data mining your opponents, observing your opponent plays and make good logical deductions etc.

I would say that luck plays a greater role in tournaments because you are faced with plenty of all-in situations preflop, where your equity percentages vs your opponents range of hands is pretty close, and short-term luck dictates the outcome of the hand.
E.g you are 80% to win with AA vs 22, yet to think about it, in 100 tournaments, you will lose 20 times to 22 and these 20 times can occur at critical points in your tournament.

However all these percentages and small edges do converge over the long-run, that is, if you play A LOT and ALOT of hands and tournaments. And a good determining criteria to judge whether you are a winning player is to keep seeing your bankroll grow as you log hands in.
vaevictis
Challenge Poker Player
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:46 pm

Re: 3 Poker Things?

Postby kman » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:00 pm

Nice insight guys.
Thanks.
Maybe I shoud have put it as 70% Skill and 30% luck.
But after seeing your comments I think 80-20 seems like a good split.
Thanks once again
534N
User avatar
kman
ABC Poker Player
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:07 pm
Medals: 1
Long Jie Participant (1)

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Re: 3 Poker Things?

Postby ayasak » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:44 pm

" Luck , Skill , Endurance "

this is what i remembered from reading a poker article by a pro ( forget is who ), and personally i find it to be quite true.
ayasak
Challenge Poker Player
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:07 pm

Re: 3 Poker Things?

Postby ohboy » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:41 pm

nonsense

it's all about feeling the future cards from beyond the aether

oh scratch that
skill, yeah, definately skill
ohboy
Shark
 
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: 3 Poker Things?

Postby ayasak » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:56 pm

lol...in that case, i'll say its your ability to 早知道( for those who dont understand chinese, its " if i would have known " <--should be correct lah...) i probably win every hand if i had good 早知道 skills...
ayasak
Challenge Poker Player
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:07 pm

Re: 3 Poker Things?

Postby felixleong » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:29 pm

in the short term , LUCK is King

in the long term, SKILL is King

Poker Skill , Bankroll management , Emotion management and many many many other factors that i cannot finish listing
plays a very very impt part to long term success.

i advise reading these book "The Poker Mindset" & "Ace on the River" for more info on what it takes to be a winner in poker
User avatar
felixleong
Great White Shark
 
Posts: 1386
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:02 pm
Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Re: 3 Poker Things?

Postby juice14 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:14 pm

Just got down to reading some of this and I agree with the short/long term view....

I think Character is very important.... especially knowing when to lay em down

That is a skill I have yet to fully learn and is hurting my money stack a lot haha.....
juice14
New Fish
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:43 am

Re: 3 Poker Things?

Postby bingzz » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:31 pm

Hi all, rarely post here but I think this is an interesting discussion because when I play with my friends and I start counting the chips in the pot and calculating pot odds and looking at their chip stacks to calculate implied pot odds, my friends tell me that "So you think poker is all about science?".

I don't usually elaborate more at that point and make my decision to raise, call or fold according to EV.
I think being able to distinguish +EV and -EV spots is the skill of the game and it is almost 100% of the game because we should always think of poker as a long term game and in a sample size of infinite hands, results will always converge to the Expected Value of your decision.
Being able to evaluate the situation and make the right decisions is definitely your only concern in poker.

In a spot where the opponent wins 4% of the time because he has 2 outs left on the turn to hit a set on the river and you win 96% of the time because you have your doubs on the flop, you know you want to stack him everytime if he is a calling station because if the same situation happens a 100 times, you will win 96 times. That is a crazy amount of +EV.

Yes, of course if he had pocket Kings, he might hit the K on the river and get LUCKY! But you know for sure that the next time he tries that again, he's gonna pay for it big time.

Like previous posters have said, making the most +EV decisions greatly reduces the luck component of the game.

So is poker Art or Science? I will leave that discussion to another time.
bingzz
New Fish
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: 3 Poker Things?

Postby felixleong » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:20 pm

Luck
Skill
Love
User avatar
felixleong
Great White Shark
 
Posts: 1386
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:02 pm
Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Re: 3 Poker Things?

Postby necrohavoc » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:38 pm

Poker:

50% Skill
50% Luck
50% Mathematics
necrohavoc
Long Jie 2x Champ
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:34 pm
Medals: 13
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (4) Macau Cup Participant (2) APPT Participant (1) Crowned a poker tournament (2) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good home game host (1)

Re: 3 Poker Things?

Postby support » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:36 pm

60% Math
10% Luck
30% Commitment
User avatar
support
Site Admin
 
Posts: 636
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:42 am
Medals: 5
Long Jie Participant (1) Article Contributor (1) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Buyer / Shopper (1)

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Re: 3 Poker Things?

Postby DM101 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:39 pm

necrohavoc wrote:Poker:

50% Skill
50% Luck
50% Mathematics


Erique howcome all add up is 150% ?

:o
User avatar
DM101
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2308
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:52 am
Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Next

Return to General Poker Strategy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

 

Recent Posts

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:
Powered by FeedBurner

Site

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:
Powered by FeedBurner