Good lay down

Brag about the good, vent over the bad.

Good lay down

Postby Lynn » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:27 am

Preflop my hand was [Jh] [Kd] i raised to $11 on a $1/2 game.

2 players folded and Darius called.

Flop comes up [Jc] [4s] [Kc] and i raised to $25. Darius re raised to $75.

I asked him if i folded would he let me see. He agreed and i folded.

He showed me [4s] [4h]. Good fold there. Lost only $11 and my $25 flop.
Lynn
Challenge Poker Player

Re: Good lay down

Postby DM101 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:55 am

Lynn wrote:Preflop my hand was [Jh] [Kd] i raised to $11 on a $1/2 game.

Yeah. You are pretty disciplined.
Many poker players went crazy when they hit their dubs.
DM101
Site Admin

Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby Lynn » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:48 pm

DM101 wrote:
Lynn wrote:Preflop my hand was [Jh] [Kd] i raised to $11 on a $1/2 game.

Yeah. You are pretty disciplined.
Many poker players went crazy when they hit their dubs.

i dont blame them coz theres a chance for full house and also 2 pair can crush any start pocket K or A.
Lynn
Challenge Poker Player

Postby ohboy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:22 pm

4 handed game, and you flop top 2?

I don't think i can lay that down unless i have a solid read on my opponent. were you sb, darius bb?
ohboy
Shark

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby newbie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:46 pm

i wouldn't say this is a good lay down. you probably laid it down also because your friend agreed to show you his hand if you folded. like ohboy said, 4-handed flopping top 2 is hard to lay down. if you keep folding flopped top 2 everytime you raise preflop, if we ever get a chance to play each other, i'll reraise all of your flop bets, safely knowing that you won't call lest you have a set.
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 1
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1)

Postby Lynn » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:18 pm

I wont normally lay down a dubs in a 4 handed game. But it was a read i had about Darius that made me lay down my hand.

I think females in general read body language better than males. Jennifer harman is my idol and she lays down strong hands too.

But i do understnad what u fellas are trying to tell me...i'd say it was pure instinct and also the fact he allowed me to see his hand that added to my decision.

ohboy to answer your question i was BB in that hand. Darius was not blinded in that hand.
Lynn
Challenge Poker Player

Postby ohboy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:04 am

so he LIMPED in with 44 in position 4 handed?

that's pretty funky play lol

seriously though, it's not hard to imagine me doing the same thing darius did with Ax of clubs or any two pair, both of which you're well ahead of.

hell, I think I may even raise/fold with KQ. Rare, but 4 handed, that may also be how i might play aces.

Like charles said, a couple of laydowns like that, and you can start expecting everyone to start reraising you all the time with these drawing hands with greater confidence. I hope you didn't show everyone the top two you folded. That would have been disastrous to your image, unless you were planning to be the all in gal every other pot for the rest of the game.
ohboy
Shark

Postby Lynn » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:25 am

ohboy wrote:so he LIMPED in with 44 in position 4 handed?

that's pretty funky play lol

seriously though, it's not hard to imagine me doing the same thing darius did with Ax of clubs or any two pair, both of which you're well ahead of.

hell, I think I may even raise/fold with KQ. Rare, but 4 handed, that may also be how i might play aces.

Like charles said, a couple of laydowns like that, and you can start expecting everyone to start reraising you all the time with these drawing hands with greater confidence. I hope you didn't show everyone the top two you folded. That would have been disastrous to your image, unless you were planning to be the all in gal every other pot for the rest of the game.

actually i showed my hands to everyone coz we pre agreed that Darius would show me his hand and we all agreed it was a good fold.

I'd certainly bear in mind what u guys have said and not show future hands to other players. its afterall a game whereby money is involved and reads can be given from the tells and cards.
Lynn
Challenge Poker Player

Postby felixleong » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:51 pm

before you can say if this is a good lay down or not, you must ask yourself what was his hand range when he call your preflop raise?

maybe it was like any pair, any high cards, probably a mix of some SCs too

when you got raise on the flop what hands do you narrow him down? if you indeed narrowed him down to only 44/KK/JJ then you are a world class player!!!

Mere mortals like me will narrow him down to stuff like
1) A set - 44 more likely , KK JJ very rare as people tend to re-raise pre 4 hand with them and you already hold a K and a J
2) King pair - a raise to see where he stands against you, reasonable play
3) A draw - flush or straight draws are possible, and base on your reads you must judge the % that he will play an aggressive semi-bluff or not
4) 2 pair - less likely since u hold the K and J already.

So this put his range more towards Toppair/Semi-bluff/Set, usually base on my experience maybe 50/25/25 % of each event are to happen.
Therefore getting all your chips in on this spot is usually + EV and a fold is logically incorrect ( well unless you know exactly he has a set only)

hope this helps

cheers

felix ^^
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby felixleong » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:52 pm

before you can say if this is a good lay down or not, you must ask yourself what was his hand range when he call your preflop raise?

maybe it was like any pair, any high cards, probably a mix of some SCs too

when you got raise on the flop what hands do you narrow him down? if you indeed narrowed him down to only 44/KK/JJ then you are a world class player!!!

Mere mortals like me will narrow him down to stuff like
1) A set - 44 more likely , KK JJ very rare as people tend to re-raise pre 4 hand with them and you already hold a K and a J
2) King pair - a raise to see where he stands against you, reasonable play
3) A draw - flush or straight draws are possible, and base on your reads you must judge the % that he will play an aggressive semi-bluff or not
4) 2 pair - less likely since u hold the K and J already.

So this put his range more towards Toppair/Semi-bluff/Set, usually base on my experience maybe 50/25/25 % of each event are to happen.
Therefore getting all your chips in on this spot is usually + EV and a fold is logically incorrect ( well unless you know exactly he has a set only)

hope this helps

cheers

felix ^^
felixleong
Great White Shark

Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby ohboy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:05 am

posted twice for effect felix!

lol
ohboy
Shark

Postby felixleong » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:40 am

haha paisei i think i accidentally pressed twice
felixleong
Great White Shark

Return to Hand Histories - Good & Bad Beats