playing 10s

Discuss the basics, psychology, probability, table selection etc.

playing 10s

Postby acemuzhold! » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:35 pm

ok im gonna post out a question to everyone. What do you do when you have 10s on the button? u know for sure, that any person with JJ and above are gonna raise, anyone with group 1 and 2 hands are gonna call, sometimes even smaller pocket pairs will call. when the flop comes cards higher than a J, ur screwed, lower, might also be screwed by smaller pairs hitting a set. so is the right play, just call here, or would u still raise? this question is specifically for pocket 10s only. Im posting this question because so far pocket 10s have been very very kind to me (much kinder than KK and AA =.=), everytime i play them, no matter how I play it, i win 90% of the time. So, luck aside, hwo do u really play them properly. Mind u, 10s is the last of the group 2 hands.
acemuzhold!
New Fish

Medals: 1
Good Buyer / Shopper (1)

Re: playing 10s

Postby felixleong » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:20 pm

Me, who follows harrington's school of thought, plays TT as a medium pair ( only QQ+ is big pair ).
Preflop mostly I will call a raise in position primary for set mining and secondary for domination ( vs lower pairs or A9- hands)
Out of position in the blinds, against early pos raiser i tend to call and against late position raiser with wide raising range including steals I try to re-raise preflop more often, thus avoiding playing OOP postflop.
On low boards without hitting a set I usually play my TT overpair more conservatively, small hand for small pot.
With 2 overcards (e.g AQ5 board), I will often fold to the 1st bet in sight as there's too good a chance that I'm beaten, especially against early raiser who might open with KJ+ AT+ 22+ (6-max)
With 1 overcard (e.g Axx board) I might call a single street against a loose player to see if I can check it down cheap, Against a tight player in any absent of a good read, instant for to 1st bet.

how do you think?
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby AsiaPokerAcademy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:26 am

It depends largely on the action in front of you:

-If nobody has raised - always raise. Statistically speaking you are far ahead of the blinds a large percentage of the time, and i steal with far worse than TT

-If there is raise in front of you, I would usually call and punish my opponent using my position. Set mining is fine too. If you get an ugly overcard ridden flop like KQ7 or AJ4, you can always get away from it. If there is only one overcard, such as a J (As you mentioned) dont be so afraid. If you are only against one opponent, you must remember that he has only hit the flop 33% of the time or so. Unless you are against a particularly tight player with tight preflop raise standards, your TT might still be the best hand. (AK and AQ are probably in their range and are missing those J high flops 66% of the time)

-If the players in front of you only call, you can make a decision to squeeze, or just call and mine for a set. This depends a lot on the flow of the table and whether opponents are likely to limp re-raise. Generally, I raise and play TT aggressively, but that is a personal preference
AsiaPokerAcademy
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 2
Helpful Kaki (2)

Postby felixleong » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:56 am

what about 3 betting preflop with TT? I know some people like to put add TT in their 3 bet ranges especially those young and aggressive sharks whose 3 bet preflop like 5-10%.
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby AsiaPokerAcademy » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:55 am

felixleong wrote:what about 3 betting preflop with TT? I know some people like to put add TT in their 3 bet ranges especially those young and aggressive sharks whose 3 bet preflop like 5-10%.

That is something that can be specific to each player's game. For example, if somebody only 3bets 3-4% of the time, adding TT to your range wouldn't make much sense. But if you are an "aggressive shark" who is 3betting 10%, then TT is a crucial part of your range.

For most beginning players, I wouldn't recommend the aggressive 3betting route because it is easy to get into trouble. However, for players who use 3betting well, I think TT is a reasonable hand to 3bet with. Personally, I tend to look at who the pre-flop raiser is and what kind of range they have. If they raise around 12%ish (at a 6max) I tend to 3bet them aggressively. If they are tight (raising 7%ish) or less, I tend to just call with TT
AsiaPokerAcademy
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 2
Helpful Kaki (2)

Postby bingzz » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:38 pm

APA definitely hit the spot.

When 3-betting with marginal hands, you definitely want to have certain reads on the villain. What is his opening range? What is his PFR range?

Even in position TT is a pretty marginal hand. If you get called and the flop has any card above T, you are in trouble.
bingzz
New Fish

Return to General Poker Strategy