A Warning: About Pokerkaki Cheater Alan aka LinBeh

Anything poker-related, and which doesn't fit into other forum categories

Re: A Warning: About Pokerkaki Cheater Alan aka LinBeh

Postby ohboy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:31 am

Nicefingers wrote:of course i believe the police in sg is not that inflexible to be thinking that no poker = no scam. The scam is not poker's fault but the individual that's responsible.

you live in such a bubble lol.
ohboy
Shark

Postby Nicefingers » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:47 am

Lending people money to gamble is morally wrong anyway.

Hey, i don't live in the bubble. I live in the money.
Nicefingers
Shark

Medals: 2
Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1)

Postby ohboy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:56 pm

let's not confuse the problems

borrowing money to gamble is wrong.

Lending money to someone isn't. When you lend money to a person, you don't question what he does with the money. That's none of your business. If you aren't certain, don't lend the money, period.

This is different from loan sharks. They lend money on the assumption that you won't be able to repay them fully. That's how they manage to get paid more interest.
ohboy
Shark

Postby Nicefingers » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:07 pm

Lending money to the person knowing that he/she will gamble with the money is morally wrong. period.

If you lend this person your money and he tells u he needs it. Like you said, you dont ask questions and the next moment you heard from your friend that he is gambling with it. Can you forget about it and tell yourself whatever he does with it is none of your business?
Nicefingers
Shark

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby Integrity » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:02 pm

Nothing wrong with lending to gamble. Lending money to someone you know is just going to lose it - that's just dumb but not morally wrong (unless you're planning on taking one of his fingers when he can't pay you back).

Banks will lend you cash to "invest" in the stockmarket. These days I'd rather be backing a decent poker player.

Regarding the cheater - I'm certainly happy to hear the kakis look out for each other.

Paul
Integrity
ABC Poker Player

Postby ohboy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:27 pm

Nicefingers wrote:Lending money to the person knowing that he/she will gamble with the money is morally wrong. period.

would you lend money to a friend who wants to use it to start a business? Few would disagree with me that starting a business is pretty much a gamble.

If you lend this person your money and he tells u he needs it. Like you said, you dont ask questions and the next moment you heard from your friend that he is gambling with it. Can you forget about it and tell yourself whatever he does with it is none of your business?

yes I can. And I have.

Point is, I've lent him the money. It's his for now. I don't judge him for how he uses his money until he cannot return it to me on the specified date/time.

If you have problems with how a person is using the money he borrowed from you, I suggest you never lend people money. It brings out the worst in control freaks like you, and it ain't pretty. This is exactly what people warn about when they say you shouldn't lend money to friends.
ohboy
Shark

Postby Nicefingers » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:36 pm

I doubt starting a business is morally wrong as compared to gambling. I don't think i will object the request unless the business is illegal.

Yes you are right, i always stand by my principle of not lending money to friends that i know will gamble with it. I don't think that is gonna categorized me as a control freak. I bet many people believe in that aspect as well and obviously you have some skewed sense of false self-righteousness. People like you will breed more gambling addicts that could have been prevented by not giving them the means to gamble.
Nicefingers
Shark

Postby ohboy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:00 pm

Nicefingers wrote:I doubt starting a business is morally wrong as compared to gambling. I don't think i will object the request unless the business is illegal.

Yes you are right, i always stand by my principle of not lending money to friends that i know will gamble with it. I don't think that is gonna categorized me as a control freak. I bet many people believe in that aspect as well and obviously you have some skewed sense of false self-righteousness. People like you will breed more gambling addicts that could have been prevented by not giving them the means to gamble.

lol

ok let's revisit the fundamentals.
Which aspect of your morals place gambling as wrong?

Is it the greed? Cowardice? Or simply because your parents kept telling you it was wrong? Did they ever tell you why it was wrong?

It's wrong when you gamble with money you cannot afford to gamble with. That's it. What's a gamble anyway? Is it just the places "people" call gambling dens?

I'm not being self righteous here. You are. I'm simply saying it like it is. If you ever lend money to someone, you damned well keep from telling him how he should spend it. It's good that you don't lend your friends money. At least it shows that deep down, you know your own shortcomings.

How about playing with people you know can't afford it? Like...I don't know...students who are playing with pocket money? Do you think said students are doing something moral?

It's not gambling that's immoral. It's how it's financed that is. Not every gambler is doing something "morally wrong" as you put it.

self righteous? please.
ohboy
Shark

Postby Nicefingers » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:16 pm

ohboy wrote:
Nicefingers wrote:I doubt starting a business is morally wrong as compared to gambling. I don't think i will object the request unless the business is illegal.

lol

ok let's revisit the fundamentals.
Which aspect of your morals place gambling as wrong?

Is it the greed? Cowardice? Or simply because your parents kept telling you it was wrong? Did they ever tell you why it was wrong?

I think if you have had read the above posts, i've mentioned lending money to friends to gamble is morally wrong. I didn't mean that gambling is morally wrong compared to business on the above post. Maybe i should rephrase it to like lending money to friends that can't afford to gamble and are addicted, is morally wrong because you are not helping them to kick away their addiction but not wrong to lend them to start a business. I didn't mean gambling is morally wrong?! Gambling is a form of entertainment that's fine by itself if you can afford it and not be addicted to it. There's nothing moral about it.

As you said, gambling is wrong when people/friends/relatives of yours gamble with money they can't afford and resort to borrowing more money or stealing. It eventually leads to a vicious cycle if your friends know that they can keep borrowing money from you to gamble to recoup their losses. Thats why the population of singapore has actually voted against the IR because of the social problems that may arise from gambling addiction. If you tell me you know your friend is a compulsive gambler and has some serious addiction but when he asks you for some money, you can be nonchalant about it? Thats not helping your friend bro. Me self-righteous? Fine. I don't deny that because i won't be hypocritical about the way i'll deal with the situation. I won't tell my friend to gamble freely away the money i've lent him and ask from me for more after they have lost it. If im going to lend friends that are addicted gamblers, i will be very concerned about the way they spent the money. Its ok they spend it on food and daily needs but to gamble again is no no and its every friends' duty to ensure their friends in trouble gets help and not giving them ticket to hell. I believe few would disagree with me on this too.

What i deemed morally wrong of gambling is lending friends/relatives money to gamble, knowing that 1st of all they can't afford it and they've gotten addicted. I don't think this principle of mine is a shortcoming in any sense because i believe first of all that within friends, tan qian shang gan qing. *hurt the friendship when discussing money matters*. If you insist that such mindset is a shortcoming then its up to you because everybody thinks how they want. I won't question how your parents have taught you on these issues or how you think of yourself in this situation. To each its own. Btw, i meant that you have a misplaced sense of self-righteousness.
Last edited by Nicefingers on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicefingers
Shark

Postby chaocheebye » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:41 pm

nicefingers, dun have to argue with ohboy on what you believe in. He will just argue in this forum until the cows come home. Let him save some face here lahz. ;-)
chaocheebye
New Fish

Postby Nicefingers » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:47 pm

why do i feel that you are alan himself.

Its fun what. Anyway the forum is so dead.
Nicefingers
Shark

Postby ohboy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:43 pm

1) It's true. I'll argue till the cows come home. Basically because sometimes, there's nothing better to do at work.

2) I've never said you should lend people money to gamble. I did say something that might have been construed as such though. I said that if you lent people the money, it's none of your business if they use it to gamble.
ohboy
Shark

Postby Lynn » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:05 pm

guys guys guys....those who like to lend just lend ok? those who don't like then just don't lend...everyone just do watever they like the best....problems always start when people start telling others what they should do and should not do...

so everyone lets end this...shut up from now...and lets just play poker.
Lynn
Challenge Poker Player

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby felixleong » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:59 pm

I usually dun lend ppl to gamble de, I only lend $$ or treat people for stuff like food or education.
I think its such a sin to lend ppl $$ to gamble, the person will likely repeat this mistake and eventually dig his own grave ( like those people who bet on soccer, lose liao double up, a few losses in a row lose big big liao )
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Poker Chat