Identifying Leaks in your Game

Discuss the basics, psychology, probability, table selection etc.

Identifying Leaks in your Game

Postby juice14 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:52 am

I find this topic to be of particular interest to me....

What use is getting lucky once and losing all the cash to donkey moves ( I ish more than half-donkey )

Let's discuss and identify some possible sources of leaks and strategies to address them....

For me,

1. Unnecessary aggression against crazy callers.... check-raise and strong betting is no use against too loose players...

2. Misplayed bluffs against strong hands which I was a donkey to not identify

3. Calling just to see opponent's cards...

4. Chasing outs when I have 'feeling'

Advice how to plug these would be greatly appreciated.... personally I'm not so inclined to have something like pokertracker to tell stats.... but I'm getting swayed in that way haha
juice14
New Fish

Re: Identifying Leaks in your Game

Postby acemuzhold! » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:29 am

definitely those are the leaks to my game as well. Especially the "feel" part. I always feel like i rely on my guts too much, that sumtimes it back fires. Another problem that I have is patience. I seem to play well for the first 3 hours, then after that Ill wither away, quite sad actually haha!
acemuzhold!
New Fish

Medals: 1
Good Buyer / Shopper (1)

Postby Brasstal » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:57 am

Its good that you identify your leaks instead of brushing leaks off as bad luck:

1. Unnecessary aggression against crazy callers.... check-raise and strong betting is no use against too loose players...

2. Misplayed bluffs against strong hands which I was a donkey to not identify

3. Calling just to see opponent's cards...

4. Chasing outs when I have 'feeling'

You don't really need advice here. I would say its just impatience your having trouble with so just have more patience in your game. In beween hands watch the showdowns of other players vs other players. Get information free that way. Take time to put notes down. Take it as a long-term project which will in the long run, garner returns. (For point 3)

You will reach a point(perhaps you already ahve now that you have raised this post) to realise that enough is enough. Losing sucks. But the best advice i can give you is, play more poker - but with more patience this time round. (For Point 1 & 2)

Study more about pot odds and potential pot odds (darnz i forgot the exact term here) before you are chasing outs. And always chase outs in position... Its much more profitable that way when you have opponents acting first, u might get free bets even after hitting your hands... or you might know how much more to extract when people act ahead of you... (Point 4)

Hope this helps... just my 2 cents worth.. good luck
Brasstal
Team PokerStar Asia

Medals: 11
Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (2) APPT Participant (1) RPT Participant (1) FPT Participant (1) WSOP Participant (1) Crowned a poker tournament (1) 3rd Place in a poker tourny (1) Helpful Kaki (1)
Good Seller (1)

Postby thebebe » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:52 pm

Brasstal wrote:potential pot odds (darnz i forgot the exact term here)

implied odds?
thebebe
New Fish

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Return to General Poker Strategy