How do you know when you're beat?

Anything poker-related, and which doesn't fit into other forum categories

How do you know when you're beat?

Postby JustinFilian » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:39 am

Hello fellas, this my first post on pokerkaki. Hope you pros guide me along the way. I was playing on FTP for like 2-3 mths. Bankroll disaster i tell ya, blew at least 300SGD in the span of 3 mths. Anyway, im trying out bodog poker now.

So, in relation to the thread subject, how do you know when you're beat. This just happened to me (Freeroll tourney on bodog), i was in SB with QQ, everyone folds to button, Button min raises, i reraise to 8x BB, BB calls and dealer folds. Flop comes 537 or smtg like that. I make pot sized bet, BB calls. at this point i have about half of my chips left. turn comes an 8 and i bet about the last half of my chips, the dude raises and puts me all in. Just called and he turns over a 55. And so i got knocked out, beat by a low set.

Kinda tough figuring out if you're beat or not. All you pros got any advice for this newb? Oh ya, this type of situation happens to me ALL THE TIME. Really, all the time. I'll have the overpair and i get beat by a lower set. :(
JustinFilian
New Fish

Re: How do you know when you're beat?

Postby SGluckbox » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:19 pm

I think in tournies or sngs, with your QQ hand and your stack size (72 BBs if i'm not wrong), I would have played your hand similarly, lost my stack, and probably just shrug it off as being unlucky. When you bet half your stack on the turn, you are basically committed and not going anywhere else even if he raises and puts you all-in.

I think in a cash game, I would be going broke that way also. Can't see how you could fold a hand like QQ on that kind of board. Stuff like when you have an overpair and he hits a set with his underpair will happen and you will find yourself stacking someone with a flopped set when he has AA as well. Its just part of the game. Have a look at Felix's thread in his section titled "Is my time over?" and you would be disgusted at how the cards can run for you when you are super unlucky. However I'm not sure if you could blow off 300SGD due to this unless you are playing at limits higher than what your bankroll supports, or you are just plain unlucky. Maybe there are other spots where you should be folding when raised but you could not fold your big hand and lost money as a result? You should post other hand histories as well.

Anyways, hope your luck turns for the better and you stack someone with 22 on a J22 board when he has JJ in his hand =).
SGluckbox
New Fish

Postby AsiaPokerAcademy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:01 pm

Two pieces of advice for you:

1) With small hands, try to play small pots. A [Qd] [Qc] overpair is a good hand with showdown value, but it is not a big hand. It is very vulnerable and it is better to play a smaller pot with it than play for your stack

and more importantly

2) This board you described is a really scary flop for QQ when playing against the button. (you are out of position, so he can call with and outplay you on scare cards)

If he plays 64, he could have a straight. If he plays low pocket pairs, he could have a set. If he plays connectors, he could have two pair. He could possibly be slow playing AA or KK as well. Your hand (QQ) is by no means an absolute favorite in this situation, so proceed with caution. Hands like [3c] [3h] , [5h] [5c] , [7s] [7h] , [8s] [8d] , [8h] [7h] , [7s] [5s], [6c] [4c] , are all in his possible blind thieving range, and all have you in pretty bad shape. If you bet and get check-raised all-in, you could find a laydown here as well (even though you've lost most of your chips, it's better to be in the tourney with not much than have your chips in the middle with only two outs and one card to come) This depends a lot on your opponent and image, however.

Those pieces of advice being said, I don't think you played that hand that bad, depending on the size and stakes of your tourney. You might have made a bit larger preflop 3bet because you are out of position- depending on your opponents stack size- you want to cut down his implied odds.

I hope some of this helps, any questions just message me. good luck!
AsiaPokerAcademy
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 2
Helpful Kaki (2)

Postby JustinFilian » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:43 pm

Very enlightening! Thanks alot. Yeah, bankroll disaster was because i was playing at limits not suitable for my roll. Having only 50 USD in my account at each time, i was playing at the .10/.25 table. Oh well, learnt my lesson!
JustinFilian
New Fish

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby Kungfusion » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:54 am

JustinFilian wrote:Very enlightening! Thanks alot. Yeah, bankroll disaster was because i was playing at limits not suitable for my roll. Having only 50 USD in my account at each time, i was playing at the .10/.25 table. Oh well, learnt my lesson!

Justo to ride on this topic on Bankroll mgt. So if we have USD50, what stakes should we be playing in?
Kungfusion
Challenge Poker Player

Genting Poker Tournament (1) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1)

Postby SGluckbox » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:17 pm

I prefer to have up to 50 buyins for a cash game 6max NLHE so that on a bad day if i do end up dropping 4 buyins or more I can shrug it off and continue to grind. However if you are decent and don't tilt, you could take shots at higher stakes with about 20 buyins. For sngs I would use 50 bucks to play the $1 or $2 sngs, preferably the $1 games.

If you are just starting out, i'd recommend playing sngs since you only risk your initial buy in, and its a small risk compared to the experience gained playing. If not, just save up until you have more cash, and in the mean time, read some books, watch some vids and build on your game =).
SGluckbox
New Fish

Postby Kungfusion » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:09 am

SGluckbox wrote:I prefer to have up to 50 buyins for a cash game 6max NLHE so that on a bad day if i do end up dropping 4 buyins or more I can shrug it off and continue to grind. However if you are decent and don't tilt, you could take shots at higher stakes with about 20 buyins. For sngs I would use 50 bucks to play the $1 or $2 sngs, preferably the $1 games.

If you are just starting out, i'd recommend playing sngs since you only risk your initial buy in, and its a small risk compared to the experience gained playing. If not, just save up until you have more cash, and in the mean time, read some books, watch some vids and build on your game =).

Thanks Bro. 50 buyins at how much? Eg. 50 big blinds? 100 big blinds?

Now I know what went wrong with my bankroll (mis)management...heh.
Kungfusion
Challenge Poker Player

Postby SGluckbox » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:50 pm

In cash games I would buy in for 100 big blinds. If you buy in for less, say 50 big blinds in a 0.10/0.25 cash game, that would be $12.50. So having 50 buyins would mean you need a bankroll of 50x12.5 = $625 . Thats just my preference. You could play with 30 buy ins also if you don't tilt easily. Which site do you play on?
SGluckbox
New Fish

Postby Kungfusion » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:14 pm

SGluckbox wrote:In cash games I would buy in for 100 big blinds. If you buy in for less, say 50 big blinds in a 0.10/0.25 cash game, that would be $12.50. So having 50 buyins would mean you need a bankroll of 50x12.5 = $625 . Thats just my preference. You could play with 30 buy ins also if you don't tilt easily. Which site do you play on?

Thanks Bro. Actually I started reading on BM after this topic, and yes I realised what I have been doin wrong. Me on PS and titan.
Kungfusion
Challenge Poker Player

Postby felixleong » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:29 pm

learn hand range assignments and equity assignment. then you will know when to play it hard and keep betting when ya ahead and when to check/call or fold when you are behind

^_^
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby SGluckbox » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:57 am

Ah PS and Titan. With your USD50 can try out the microlimit games at Pokerstars, like 0.01/0.02 cash games and their $1 sngs. Titan should also have. USD50 should be able to last you for some time and you can have fun at the same time =). If you have enough cash to spare, do get the SNG book written by Collin Moshman.
SGluckbox
New Fish

Postby Kungfusion » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:28 pm

Thanks folks for your advise.

By the way, i am reading Every Hand Revealed currently....
Kungfusion
Challenge Poker Player

Postby Lynn » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:20 pm

u know u'r beat when u go all in with 2-7 and the other guy says CALL
Lynn
Challenge Poker Player

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby felixleong » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:49 am

or when you go all in with AA and the other guys says "I think I'm pot committed" when he put 3 big blinds in but has 97 bb behind.
He shows you 27 and the flop shows 227~
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Next

Return to General Poker Chat