Devaluation of SG dollar

Discuss Business, Personal Finance and Investments here.

Devaluation of SG dollar

Postby juice14 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:36 pm

Heard gahmen going to let SGD go down vs major currencies.... What do you guys think?

At the very least will benefit those who still got money in USD outside hehe (read Pokerstars et al) .....

But overall things may start to cost more as our money weakens.... aiyah.... dunno good or bad... ppl say ish help exports....

Comments and views?
juice14
New Fish

Re: Devaluation of SG dollar

Postby Lynn » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:38 pm

time to buy into USD!
Lynn
Challenge Poker Player

Postby felixleong » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:44 am

if your income is in sgd then sianz liao, it means singaporeans will be earning less and our holiday trips to hong kong or thailand for shopping will cost more I guess~

If your income is in usd then shiok shiok liao if the exchange rate climbs up to 1.55 to 1.8 range ^_^
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby ohboy » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:01 pm

i wouldn't be too confident about USD long term strength.

BUT, if you want to hedge your savings against USD valuation, it's not hard to just buy USDSGD for say, 1 standard lot.

Pretty sure that covers the life savings of most people here.
ohboy
Shark

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby support » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:21 pm

I once read a book about money... the author (a person from US) believes that the 2 safest currencies in the world is, SGD and Swiss Franc. Considering that over the last 6 years (before depression) the USD was push straight down to 1.3 from 1.7... i think SGD should be shooting to 1:1.3, 1:1.2 range... but that just my instinct...
support
Site Admin

Medals: 5
Long Jie Participant (1) Article Contributor (1) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Buyer / Shopper (1)

Postby Afternoon » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:39 pm

When SDG$ against US$ pushes below 1.4 level, it causes a hell lot of pressure for our export and MAS would step in to weaken our dollar. toward 1.2-1.3 mark.... unlikely. for next 1 year expect 1.48-1.58 level.
Afternoon
Great White Shark

Medals: 12
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) Crowned a poker tournament (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1) Poker Face (1) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1)
Helpful Kaki (2) Good Buyer / Shopper (1)

Return to Business, Personal Finance and Investments