Texas Holdem-Game of Luck Vs Skills

Anything poker-related, and which doesn't fit into other forum categories

Texas Holdem-Game of Luck Vs Skills

Postby watchalukin » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:16 pm

Hi guys,

Just had a weekend game with my friends. Was kinda affected after the game...

THink my friend (called John) was having a really lucky day because he got alot of good hands and good flops, turn n rivers....

It was so good that at one pt of time, he had to play with his hands open so that he can get us not to call/raise him....

Some of my other friends on the table were kinda disturbed by his good luck and starting complaining about bad beat and all...like for example, there was a hand where a guy (Ken) got 2 pairs and John was drawing to a flush draw.....Ken called $30 (Which was a big bet as we are playing 50cent/$1 and buy in was $100) to try to get John to fold, John decides to call, and caught his flush on the river....and after that, Ken went all-in and naturally John called cause his was the nut flush....

After that...the non stop rattling about..."Donk Call"..."bad beat"..."dun u think it is too much to call for $30..." John was naturally irritated....and his luck got even better after that....the most unforgettable hand was when i witness was then John has [Ks] [Kh] the flop turns...

[As] [Ah] [Kc]

Jordan (anther friend) got [Ad] [Js] ....

He asked John how much he had....before John could answer, Jordan raise it all in for $400. John straight away answered with a "I call".

Jordan immediately stuck out his tongue and knew that John had a hand....John didnt wanna bust him...so he told Jordan to reconsider again...and gave him a chance to remake his call.....Jordan thinks abit...and John got kinda irritated (cause he didnt want Jordan to call...but Jordan is so insistent on wanting to beat him...) THat John just open his hand and show jordan my hand.....

Finally...Jordan folds....but after that, can see that he was pretty sore about it....

To sum it all up, i just wonder a few things....:

1) Bad Beat, Donk Call, But isnt luck a part of gambling?? So why are people getting so frustrated over the fact that people are catching the 2% o 15% chance and making their hand??

2) Should John have played like that? Open his hands? Telling people to not play cause he do not want to win...Somehow i feel he kinda spoilt the fun of the game....

So what are your guys take on this? :?
watchalukin
New Fish

Re: Texas Holdem-Game of Luck Vs Skills

Postby mugiwara84 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:43 pm

when ur hot ur hot, sometimes it just seems the fella catches everything. however this can onli last for so long. everyone is playing with their own money afterall so we cant really judge/determine how another person chooses to play. i've seen people winning more wif lesser cards n theres really only so much u can do to stop the other from drawing. in the long run luck will run out and bad decisions will lead to him losing more than winning that is for sure
mugiwara84
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 1
APPT Participant (1)

Postby newbie » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:46 pm

my take is that john is too generous and shldve taken the 400 dollar that jordan offered him on a golden plate. and erm KK > AJ so i dont think thats a suckout/badbeat/lucky hit lol
Challenge Poker Player

Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1)

Postby mugiwara84 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:19 am

tt i agree wif newbie. since the other fella wanted to commit his chips no reason to reject
mugiwara84
Challenge Poker Player

APPT Participant (1)

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby necrohavoc » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:14 am

i wish got people pancan me $400 in cash games... that's like 4x buy-ins in your .5/1 game
necrohavoc
Long Jie 2x Champ

Medals: 13
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (4) Macau Cup Participant (2) APPT Participant (1) Crowned a poker tournament (2) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good home game host (1)

Postby felixleong » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:48 pm

LOL
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby watchalukin » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:27 pm

Haha. Yeah, i agree that John luck will run out....or at least, it wouldnt be everyday that you get hands like his....

But somehow, i feel other than being generous, his acts kinda spoils the game...

I mean poker is about bluffin and agressive actions....so yeah, by doing that, he kinda killed it all....

Well, think i will show him what you guys wrote...hopefully, he doesnt play so 'nicely' next time and play to the game....

which is agressive betting with good logical bluffs....=)
watchalukin
New Fish

Postby necrohavoc » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:07 pm

sure many people like sexy poker ...agression and bluffing but ultimately it's a people game .. so good poker adapts to the scenario and adjusts for a winning strategy, whatever it takes.
necrohavoc
Long Jie 2x Champ

Medals: 13
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (4) Macau Cup Participant (2) APPT Participant (1) Crowned a poker tournament (2) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good home game host (1)

Return to General Poker Chat