Hi! New guy with issues

Please introduce yourself to the community here. E.g your name, age, profession, how long have you been playing poker..etc. Share & discuss your poker experiences with us. Make yourself at home.
Important Information
1) Do introduce yourself to the kakis.
2) Don't post any home games, events or meet ups in this section.

Hi! New guy with issues

Postby theredszone » Wed May 13, 2009 11:57 am

Hello there I'm new on the forum.
Name's Azhar.
I live in Yishun.
Big fan of the game and really looking to develop my poker skills.
I play everyday.
Unfortunately, I either play online, or live with a bunch of people who don't know the game that well.
They play for fun. Everyday, I have to tell at least 1 person who and why a person wins a hand, cos sometimes they don't know.
We usually play 10cents games, but I can't really learn or pick up any new skills because the people I play with are not that good.
1) They limp in on every pot.
2) They play almost any hand.
3) They refuse to raise sensibly when they have good cards.
4) They play the cards not the player, hoping to win everytime.
5) I get called everytime I make a proper raise, in a 9 handed game!

It's almost like Limit Hold'em, where players can and will call whenever they get the chance.

The bad thing about all that is
1) I do not get to read their cards often, because they play anything and everything.
2) Even if I get to guess 1 person's cards, there's still the rest of the table to put up with.
3) I get beaten with 7 2 offsuit and other kinds of shitty cards.
4) I do not get to develop my skills as a poker player.

The good thing about playing with them is that
1) I earn the most money everyday. I start the day with $1.00 (i know its the wrong amount to have to start a game, but what the heck) ,and go home with $5 - $15
2)I earn the most everyday.
3) I earn the most everyday.

It's one thing playing with a fish.
But playing with a table full of fishes, you end up smelling like one too.
It gets frustrating.

The thing is we, don't have that much money and for me, I'm only starting to build up my bankroll.
I have a Pokerstars account but that doesn't really help, cos playing online is different. It's almost as if money isn't real, and people tend to play loose.

I'm looking to learn and develop. I might not be quite good but at least I know that the way my friends and I have been playing is wrong. "Wisest is he who knows he knows nothing"

I can't say that I'm looking for home games to play, cos I don't have money.But it'd be nice to have a proper game someday.
theredszone
New Fish

Re: Hi! New guy with issues

Postby support » Wed May 13, 2009 12:09 pm

Try raising the stakes... no in cash terms but physical.

Those who open cards at river and lose will do 10 pushups...

They'll learn after a while...

My grp of friends started like your... limping etc..
But we invent rules like the 27 rule (if u win with 27 u get $1 from everyone) which spiced up the theorycraft in the game.
When cash is not pressuring enough, use something else that will give enough punishment for pple to think... then the game
will go up in standard.
support
Site Admin

Medals: 5
Long Jie Participant (1) Article Contributor (1) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Buyer / Shopper (1)

Postby necrohavoc » Wed May 13, 2009 12:19 pm

unfortunately the stakes you play are low enough not to matter to most people, its hard to develop any skill like that..

why not try online ...you can multi-table and own the fishes at a faster rate..
necrohavoc
Long Jie 2x Champ

Medals: 13
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (4) Macau Cup Participant (2) APPT Participant (1) Crowned a poker tournament (2) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good home game host (1)

Postby theredszone » Wed May 13, 2009 1:40 pm

10cents actually is a big deal. to some of them. raise too much and they'll fold, and i end up without a proper game. don't raise and they'll call and i get beaten by crappy cards.
online isnt the same. i can win games online. its the live action im looking to develop.
I'll try the Support guy's suggestion. haha.
thanks anyway necrohavoc for ur reply.
theredszone
New Fish

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby stussyboi » Wed May 13, 2009 1:57 pm

well play at a rate tht it matters...
10c is nth i wud have call or even reraise like crazy. its jus too small to be a matter.
in order to have a good game of poker. playing at the suitable blinds are important.
not too little and definately not too much
stussyboi
Challenge Poker Player

Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (1) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby vicx1234 » Thu May 14, 2009 5:07 am

the guys are right abt the low stakes problem leading to uninspired poker. In the beginning when I was playing with my friends they were just donkying around and were happy to go all in on the river with middle pair, until they got inspired by tv programs like High Stakes Poker or the WSOP coverage. They wanted to emulate some of that play and as a result became more concerned with their own level of play. Would screening such programs to your friends help, i wonder?
vicx1234
New Fish

Postby theredszone » Thu May 14, 2009 3:08 pm

I'm glad i'm getting some feedback from the folks at pokerkaki.

Well, on watching programs such as WSOP and High Stakes, i certainly can say it has worked for some of us.
I for one am inspired by High Stakes Poker. I watch every episode, and can't wait for the next one to come out.

Some of them still haven't seen any of those shows before. I'll try suggesting that to them.
thanks!
theredszone
New Fish

Postby support » Thu May 14, 2009 3:10 pm

High stakes poker in the video section of the site.
http://www.pokerkaki.com/
support
Site Admin

Long Jie Participant (1) Article Contributor (1) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Buyer / Shopper (1)

Postby theredszone » Thu May 14, 2009 5:35 pm

FYI, its up to episode 11 already.
:)
thanks.
theredszone
New Fish

Return to Member Introductions