Playing with friends/Friendly games?

Discuss the basics, psychology, probability, table selection etc.

Playing with friends/Friendly games?

Postby LamerL » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:45 am

Hi guys, I just want to post a question for all the kakis here..

If you guys are in a poker game where all the players are friends, or in a friendly game where everyone plays for fun.

Can you still play to your best? or will you still play your best?

Reason why im asking is because recently i was involved in a game where most of the players are my friends whom i havent seen in a while, and after an hour or so i knew they were mostly weaker players, and they are just 'socializing' or playing for fun in the game. Thus i felt bad winning from them.. and it led me to playing 'bad' in the end.

Kindly advice me on this issue guys.. thanks.
LamerL
New Fish

Re: Playing with friends/Friendly games?

Postby chenghao » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:21 pm

if its 0.1/0.2 then you normally play 1/2 , just try to break even lor , win liao then pretend to bad beat and lose it , try to just break even , drink a few beers , hollywood a bit , have fun lar
chenghao
Great White Shark

Medals: 3
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby chiku » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:10 am

haha yea, if you feel bad then just have a drink or 2 to bring yourself down to less than your A-game and you'll all be level...
chiku
ABC Poker Player

Postby necrohavoc » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:57 pm

i always play with friends and I must say ..once we sit down at the table. ..it's no holds barred

If one has a problem losing or can't afford to lose or have a problem taking another's money on the table, we wouldn't have played in the first place.
necrohavoc
Long Jie 2x Champ

Medals: 13
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (4) Macau Cup Participant (2) APPT Participant (1) Crowned a poker tournament (2) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good home game host (1)

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby DM101 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:06 pm

necrohavoc wrote:i always play with friends and I must say ..once we sit down at the table. ..it's no holds barred

If one has a problem losing or can't afford to lose or have a problem taking another's money on the table, we wouldn't have played in the first place.

Sounds like Wrestlemania.... :lol:
DM101
Site Admin

Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby necrohavoc » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:54 pm

you are showing your age ...mr dm101
necrohavoc
Long Jie 2x Champ

Medals: 13
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (4) Macau Cup Participant (2) APPT Participant (1) Crowned a poker tournament (2) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good home game host (1)

Postby iZech » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:12 pm

yea this topic alot of gray area

when i play with friends my main aim is to break even or win abit like 5-10bucks (0.5/1 game)
but i can tell u that alot ppl dun see that.

so starting i will play abit loose if get lucky then i will lose back over time but when i losing i will get serious and try to play the very best to win back(to break even) but still ppl dun see the point and some may get angry as u raise the pot value which is a big amount, or when u hit monster and keep betting they say u slowroll =.=

which i find it very lame.

so i choose not to play with friends or a all friends table.
iZech
ABC Poker Player

Postby LunarWolfspirit » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:08 pm

My closest friends aren't poker players, so when I first introduced them to the game, they refused to put any money down -- which is fine by me, as long as they play and pretend that "losing" is at stake. But they just ended up fooling around. One of them even got bored and decided to go all-in.

Well obviously poker is not the same game when there's no money at stake...

But if you were me would you be pissed off? Or would you just shrug it off? After all, there was really nothing at stake.

So I guess what it comes down to is the competitive spirit you have. I think it's quite a grey area, but if it were me I'd still put in 100%. You're here to play the game, may the best man win! But I would probably only "loosen" up by being more chatty to lighten up the mood. No such thing as making weird plays etc.
LunarWolfspirit
ABC Poker Player

Postby Flamingsinex » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:19 pm

Just play for fun lor. Haha. Dun play like you are trying to win money=) and have fun=)
Flamingsinex
ABC Poker Player

Postby BigBoh » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:52 pm

always play within each other's means... this is the best rule... the rest will fall in place...
suggest a (mass-ciggie) break if sense tilt...
BigBoh
New Fish

Postby mugiwara84 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:07 am

necrohavoc wrote:you are showing your age ...mr dm101

i've got 2 words for ya!
mugiwara84
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 1
APPT Participant (1)

Postby ohboy » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:28 am

my solution is to just play uber lose and make donk calls to draw to that elusive runner runner straight occassionally

playing lose does 2 things:

1) increases your variance, so your skill doesn't show that much
2) creates lots of action and tons of crazy suckouts that can be discussed over supper
ohboy
Shark

Postby Jin.T » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:11 am

To me, poker is a cruel game. U play to win. If nothing is at stake, what do u play poker for? What reward do u get for bluffing or outplaying ur opponent? And softplaying doesn't work for me. I tried it a few times b4. In the end it backfired cuz I ended up being the sucker to them when I softplayed with those friends of mine. I read an article on Bluff Magazine which was written by Mike Caro. It was regarding softplaying. After reading it, I can't help but agree with what he said. On the poker table, play to ur best ability. Don't softplay. If u softplay, u won't improve ur skill level. U're spoiling the spirit of the game. And when u softplay with ur friends on the same table, u're juz being selfish.

1 scenario I witnessed: 2 soft-playing friends had AK. The third player had pocket Qs. Pocket Qs went all-in pre-flop. Both friends with AK called. At this pt, the dealer was telling the 2 friends no checking down to the river, cuz it would be unfair to the player who went all-in, cuz he knew they were softplaying each other. Both friends saw the flop and checked with an Ace on the flop. Pocket Qs was nearly drawing dead. Turn was a 9. Friend A fired, Friend B called. River was 1 more Ace. Friend A went all-in, Friend B contemplated after a while and called. In the end, they both won the third player's money. There was nothing really very wrong with this. But imagine, if both the 2 friends softplayed and checked it down to the river, and u were the guy with pocket Qs, and they both split ur money, how would u feel? My pt is, other players will get hurt in the process of all these nonsense. If u wanna be nice to ur frens, treat em to a meal or a shopping spree if u win their money. Otherwise, playing softplaying poker is juz selfish, dumb and pointless. I know I sound very extreme in expressing my views here, but I make no apologies for it. Softplaying sucks and shld be avoided.
Jin.T
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 1
Good home game host (1)

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby ohboy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:42 pm

not asking you to softplay

but you can play a different style, one you;re not so familiar with
ohboy
Shark

Next

Return to General Poker Strategy