Small ball

Discuss the basics, psychology, probability, table selection etc.

Small ball

Postby CML » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:54 am

wonder if i can find anyone who's familiar with this strat and how it can be applied. i heard it was about winning little pots every hand by scaring ur opponents away and backing off immediately when u feel something's wrong. its alot of bluffing and quite a high lvl of play i heard. cant seem to find any books/articles about it except the one on youtube. anyone care to elaborate about it? thanks :)
CML
Challenge Poker Player

Re: Small ball

Postby suitedpairs29 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:47 pm

small ball is playing alot of small pots. slowly accumulating chips by outplaying opponents with marginal holdings like suited connectors and the like. small ball is a tactic better used in a tournament as in cash games, you will rarely win a pot uncontested.

small ball requires alot of feel and experience. putting your opponents on range of hands and deciding the proper action afterwards. players who are great with this style are Daniel Negreanu and Gavin Smith. You will rarely see this people raise preflop as they will call with almost any two. Keeping the pots small, opponents wont mind giving up after bets. But these slowly build up and before long, small ball pros have all the chips.
suitedpairs29
Challenge Poker Player

Return to General Poker Strategy