Coaching services up to 1/2

Anything poker-related, and which doesn't fit into other forum categories

Coaching services up to 1/2

Postby vaevictis » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:04 am

*Cut and pasted from my old corner*
Into my last year of studies, thus having more time for poker playing and coaching right now. Have to apologise to all the students on the waitlist previously. School had to take priority and am really sorry for not responding. My current rates are at 100SGD/hr. PM me for more information.

--------------
Coaching Philosophy
"Give a man a fish, and you would have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish, you would have fed him for a lifetime."
My coaching philosophy is not just teaching you how to play poker, but rather to show you the methods to allow yourself to be your own teacher and learner of the game.
I'll coach you to think deeper into the game, focusing mainly on the WHYs instead of the HOWs. At the end of coaching sessions, I hope the student will find that much of the learning comes from himself, and the structure of my topical coaching will be derived for this goal in mind.

My former coach Greg Brooks (co-owner of Leggopoker, a pretty big influence in my poker journey) says that a coach is like someone who shows or opens the door to the student. A coach may not be entirely right in his teachings (especially in poker there are limitless no of correct plays for a given situation). But what he does is that he offers a new and different perspective to your game. Coaching is also a dual-learning process which I believe will help both the coach and the student improve their game as well.

Method of Instruction

Sweating
- I can watch you play or you can watch me play at the stakes you wish. Discussion and comments will be noted and gone thru in detail
- Video commentary. You can make a video and I can analyse and comment.

Topical coaching with practical lessons
- lessons will be theory lecture based with practice included
- topical in nature

Topics outline (last edited on 2nd May 08)

Preflop
- the Why, What, and How
- Starting hand selection - making use of Tommy Angelo's Starting hand chart
- Isolation Raises
- 3betting - Making 3bets and calling 3 bets
- Position vs starting hands
- Homework plan: Student prepare own starting hand chart, compare with mine, discussion on similarities/differences and reasons for your choice and mine.

General postflop topics
- Effective stack size concept - Effective stack size governs decision in every street on NL holdem.

Flop Play
- Board Texture - wet/dry board vs hand ranges that hit them
- Continuous Betting
- Bluff raising/check raising
- Check-folding/calling
- Playing Draws in and out of position
- Commitment decision on flop - playing of top pair hands vs stack size
- Pot control - Way ahead/way behind concept, small hands small pot, big hands big pot.
- Protecting hands vs Protecting your stack
- Homework plan: analyse board texture, spots to cbet, spots to bluff raise, analyse hand range that fits to certain board texture.

Turn Play
- What to do when cbet is called/raised
- Double barreling bluffs
- Checkraising - Why, when and how
- floating
- checking behind to induce bluffs/pot control
- Playing draws in and out of position
- Homework plan : spots to double barrel, spots to checkraise , spots to checkbehind and induce/pot control, spots to float.

River Play
- 3rd Barreling bluffs
- Bluff raising
- Bluff catching
- Paying off when induced
- homework plan : spots to 3rd barrel, bluff raise, bluff catching.

Other Misc topics
- Playing aganist regulars
- Timing tells
- Bet sizing
- understanding hand ranges
- using maths for decision
- using statistic software to make decisions

Rates
My coaching rates will be at 100 SGD/ hr of coaching. Rates are subjected to future revisions. I can guarantee that for this rate of coaching a student pays, there is greater value in my services in terms of additional preparation, study materials and post-coaching services. As for location, I'll prefer live face to face coaching but online coaching is also fine if requested.

P.S. The above topics are not cast in stone yet, and will probably revise them as we go along. Do check back this thread for any updates and changes. Thanks!
vaevictis
Challenge Poker Player

Re: Coaching services up to 1/2

Postby Mrniceguy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:44 am

do u have a track record of your success at online poker? what u teach can actually be found on theinternet forum and books which are free. plus, in hold em starting hand does not matter much compare to omaha.. They can be found in sklansky book too. Based on that, your rate is far too high for limits up to 1/2. timing tells can also be a misleading factor. So i hope u can revise ur price to cater to clueless begainners who just might need those information.
Mrniceguy
New Fish

Postby vaevictis » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:01 pm

Yes. pls PM me for more information.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that whatever I teach can be found in the internet forum and books which are free. In fact if you are good enough, you dont need a coach up to 1/2.
vaevictis
Challenge Poker Player

Postby Mrniceguy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:01 pm

thank you. If that is so , don't u think ur price shd be adjusted? im just speaking up for those who are interested to sign up but find ur price too steep. I'm a winning player at plo at full tilt so i know what u are talking abt. Hand strength in hold em just isn't as important compare to plo. some well known player turned coach here charged only 50/h and they are consistantly winning.
Mrniceguy
New Fish

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby vaevictis » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:37 pm

Well its an issue of supply and demand. I used to coach at 50/hr, live (not online).

At that price I'm facing a high demand of students wanting my services, which unfortunately is not proportionate to my time invested in coaching vs playing.

$100 per hour is for those who knows they need it, and can make do with new perspectives / finding leaks. I coach live and find the interaction provides better learning opportunities, compared to online.

For those who need coaching, depending on your needs, feel free to pm me and set a price accordingly. I would do $50 rate for online coaching, and will always try to make it as beneficial for my students as possible, but whether it is truly beneficial ill leave it to the students to decide.

Other coaches here may sure set their prices lower and uncut me by all means, but the differentiated service students get for me is more than what the hourly coaching rates suggests.

As for your hand strength comment, all i would say is strength preflop in holdem is more impt than that in plo. but nonetheless money is made post flop for both games and thats where I can offer my insights to the game.
vaevictis
Challenge Poker Player

Postby gargamelesp » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:56 am

hi, sry for hijacking the post but i thought it would be nice if i can find out what your nick is and at which sites you play, would be interested in talking strat with a winning player. if you are not comfortable in posting in thread, feel free to pm me :)
gargamelesp
New Fish

Postby Mrniceguy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:53 pm

i have to correct u. Sorry but starting hand in PLO is much more important than in hold em. u wannaplay heads up plo? at full tilt?
Mrniceguy
New Fish

Postby vaevictis » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:46 am

Care to explain? Please share your perspective it can be clearer to everyone on this board.

My explanation is in the view of absolute hand strength preflop, with the consideration of possible action leading to postflop.

Lets suppose we on a scale of 1-100 rating of absolute strength, with AA - 100 and 27 at 1.
The absolute difference of this hand strength is more often translated to a significant advantage postflop at a higher distribution in holdem.

In omaha, the scale of absolute hand strength ratings differ in a greater manner. Some rate e.g. 100 points for AAKK double suited, or 100 pts for a big wrap AKQJ double suited kinds of hands as a better hand.
Nonetheless for thought experiment we consider a absolute strength of 1 hand on omaha. 2277 single suited or 2 4 6 8 kind of hand (im not a plo expert, pls enlighten me).
My point is that considering postflop, this absolute hand advantage difference is negated to a greater extent compared to holdem. Even the worst omaha hand can play postflop, due to a greater number of combinations. Suddenly your AAKK doesnt look so good compared to a rating 1 hand postflop. Additional considerations include: not folding an decently playable omaha hand preflop is not that a big mistake preflop, while overplaying marginal weak hands preflop is a bigger mistake.

I could be wrong and ignorant here, so plo experts pls come and share your ideas with regards to this topic.
And MrNiceguy, i won't play you HU PLO to satisfy your need to validate yourself. Likewise I don't have to validate any of my success or failure to anyone here. If you can be civil enough to share your points and make this forum a better place for learning, i guess that would be a better outcome instead of your relatively short and non contributing posts.
vaevictis
Challenge Poker Player

Return to General Poker Chat