Playing Against Calling Stations

Discuss the basics, psychology, probability, table selection etc.

Playing Against Calling Stations

Postby LunarWolfspirit » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:56 pm

So I've been taking some bad beats recently in some friendly family & friends games, was thinking of getting some feedback on improving my play.

I guess the good thing about Poker is that virtually anyone can learn the game within minutes and be able to win a match, should the cards fall their way.

At the moment, I'm trying to adopt a LAG style of play but the in the home game that I play, we start with about a mere 50x - 150x of the BB. As its usually a small 3 player game, playing aggressively, especially on a day with bad luck, doesn't seem to pay off nicely on me (as the blinds are furious) and doesn't help with the fact that I'm playing with calling stations who have amazing luck!

Another bad thing of mine is I tend to go on tilt after a bad beat (and the thing is I am aware when I am too!)

I've read that it is wiser in the long run to just not bother bluffing calling stations. Currently the players that I play with, I have sized up as always raising on either a draw or a pair. A big raise is basically a red-flag of top pair or better. They rarely ever check unless they have nothing. When I try to steal the pot, they will still call 50% of the time and a miraculous Turn/River card will hit the flop.

What would your recommendation be? Is Poker truly a game that still requires more luck than skill?

I would say that in the relatively short period of time, and my constant exposure to Poker related stuff (Books, shows, playing some games) -- the checklist of things that I go through before making a decision is expanding and I can very safely say that in skill, I am comparatively better.

What technique do you adopt against these players?
LunarWolfspirit
ABC Poker Player

Re: Playing Against Calling Stations

Postby SunScreen » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:41 pm

In my limited online and cash game experiences, peoplay who usually flat calls are those who are

1. Huge stack, and they have the chip to buy cards. Even if they hit the top pair or has a draw, they will slow play the situation. Conservative, not aggressive.

2. Middle level stack, and they are trying to show that they represent something, and that they might, depending on their stack, go all in should the opponent continues his CB.

Short stack players are never calling stations.

Small ball strategy might be useful here to deal with ur friends.
SunScreen
ABC Poker Player

Postby crshe » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:49 pm

I am facing the same problem as lunarwolfspirit, except that my game is a 6-8handed game with 3-4 calling stations who are capable of calling a bet of any amount with ATC as long as they feel that the pot odds are in their favour(e.g when everybody calls a $7 p/f bet the last 2-3 positions will just call with ATC)

It's frustrating man.. they call with ATC and seem to hit all the time..

Would really appreciate some help here
crshe
Challenge Poker Player

Postby iZech » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:22 am

recently i also face the same thing, just dun seem to be able to win such game.

either lose abit or break even, while some of them can win like 2-4buy-in (from other player not me)

my game is mostly 5-8handed with 50bb-100bb, short stack(20-30bb) will shove every here and there

i face alot of situation where they flat call me with air or some lame hand(2 over or mid/low pair or gutshot or sometimes 2 same suit air which later give them runner flush or hand which 1 card complete a straight/flush)

eg of such hand will be, 4 way limp pot, i on mp with TJ flop was 7s7cTd check to me i bet pot size, 1 guy call with Jd2d and turn was some diamond card(not J or 2) i shove and he called, river came other diamond.

other hand will be i have Aces on MP, UTG 3bb raise, i 3bet to around 12bb,fold to him he re pop me to around 20-25bb(cant remember) i shove and he called which is abt 80-90bb

for the above hand u must be thinking he have K's or something right? but well its 89s and he got lucky and won.

but well i did not tilt but have been thinking about how to counter such game for a long long time still unable to find a best way of playing such game.

i tried playing tight or TAG, but u will either get badbeat which u will lose all ur chips or u raise pre and no1 called - in other words u wont really get paid if u play tight here, as they are so loose and easily face a badbeat with their random hand. eg: i had AK raised pre flop 3 caller, flop was rainbow with K and 2 low card,turn was a blank, river was a 2, no flush or straight complete on board. i fire 3 barrel and this guy shove me on river after thinking i will onli lose to 2 pair (as the way he play dun seem like he have set or Aces) i called and he show me K2 for 2 pair. >.>

and if u play aggressive/loose or LAG, they will tent to call u more and CALL U ALL THE WAY TO RIVER with mid/low pair or whatever they hit or have draw. which u cant even try to bluff, as i tried to all in bluff they called with mid pair and said "er ur bet like bluff", u value bet bluff they will call and say as its too value or small amount.

so why even with those above i still able to break even or lose abit, its by slow playing the NUTS (i mean really Nuts or sometimes 2nd nuts on board, not top pair top kicker, not 2 pair, but set and above) it make the poker game very board but since its all friends etc i will just sit and slowly camp by limping in cheap with position hopefully to hit flop or raise and c-bet with top 10% of hand range take down small pot but this way it been proven many times u cant win, just break even or lose abit or win abit.

i just came back from such game tried playing LAG lost 1 buy-in, i switch to TAG lost 1 buy-in, 3rd buy in i just play what i said above and recover back, end of the day lost around 35bb, while 1 guy won 2buy-in other won abit less then 1buy-in. the rest lost.
iZech
ABC Poker Player

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby chenghao » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:40 am

Against Stations , Bet for VALUE , dun bluff stations
chenghao
Great White Shark

Medals: 3
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby Vinally » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:49 pm

i think my experience against calling station is to adopt the "all in" style or u have hit top pair, just bet for value. Really can't bluff against them. Both can work either if you know that they are super calling station, if u want to bluff, just " all in " post flop, with your gut feeling, Out of ten ppl, one ppl dare to call me.

just sharing. :)
Vinally
Challenge Poker Player

Postby koburn » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:10 am

I would prefer to term it as "variance" if calling stations suck out on me on the river....Just move on to the next hand, no point going on tilt.
koburn
New Fish

Postby axel » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:51 am

Vinally wrote:i think my experience against calling station is to adopt the "all in" style or u have hit top pair, just bet for value. Really can't bluff against them. Both can work either if you know that they are super calling station, if u want to bluff, just " all in " post flop, with your gut feeling, Out of ten ppl, one ppl dare to call me.

just sharing. :)

Calling stations will have a hand at times, going all in with your gut feeling is pure gambling.
axel
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 2
Good Seller (2)

Postby Vinally » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:56 am

Of cos it is, but that is only for beginner. easy solution, all in post flop against calling station.

ha.
Vinally
Challenge Poker Player

Postby Afternoon » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:23 pm

Against calling station.

Request to change seat to his left and start calling him back all the way. lol.
Afternoon
Great White Shark

Medals: 12
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) Crowned a poker tournament (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1) Poker Face (1) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1)
Helpful Kaki (2) Good Buyer / Shopper (1)

Postby fairytanes » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:55 am

Afternoon wrote:Against calling station.

Request to change seat to his left and start calling him back all the way. lol.

this is a good strategy.
UB going to LJ this month?
fairytanes
Challenge Poker Player

Postby tally-ho » Thu May 26, 2011 8:32 am

chenghao wrote:Against Stations , Bet for VALUE , dun bluff stations

this is indeed the secret.

value bet a wider part of your range, value bet BIGGER.

Bluff WAY less..e.g HU vs lagspewstaionfishy you can check back your A high hands and shitty showdown hands rather than cbetting.
tally-ho
New Fish

Return to General Poker Strategy