Poker Tutorial Needed

Discuss the basics, psychology, probability, table selection etc.

Poker Tutorial Needed

Postby Annette_69 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:07 pm

I need some of the members here to guide me the basics of poker.
Any good links to show me?
Annette_69
New Fish

Re: Poker Tutorial Needed

Postby Mesmx » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:25 pm

Well i suggest getting poker books from kinokuniya such as The Little Green Book By Phil Gordon
Mesmx
New Fish

Postby suitedpairs29 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:02 pm

the little green book is one of the worst pieces of poker literature available

you might as well read the back of a pick-up truck and learn more about poker there

you can never go wrong with super system. heard super system 2 sucks, but worth the read.

harrington on holdem, all 3 volumes, are always good

any book by sklansky is a must-read as well.

if you need to learn how to play well, the best place to educate yourself is at a poker table. play a small-stakes game with friends and learn the basics. when you are more confident with your skills, try and find a another game to play at. you will see as you play with more people, your skills improve as well

good luck and happy hunting

-suitedpairs-
suitedpairs29
Challenge Poker Player

Postby Triaz » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:50 pm

Like suited pairs....

I would say get 2 books to start you off

Harrington on Holdem Vol 1
And
Small Stakes Hold'em winning big by expert play by david skylansky.

This 2 will let you do pretty well as a beginner. They actually complement each other as alot of the assumptions in Harrington are explained in small stakes.

Harrington on holdem vol 1 you might have to buy in amazon. Cos im quite sure i bought the last copy in borders a couple of months back.

Cheers
Triaz
New Fish

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby ohboy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:20 am

meh books are useless unless you understand them

rule of 4 and 2. How many really understand why it's 4 and 2?
ohboy
Shark

Postby Annette_69 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:55 am

ohboy wrote:meh books are useless unless you understand them

rule of 4 and 2. How many really understand why it's 4 and 2?

What's this rule of 4 & 2 ?
Sorry I am new to these poker terms. Please enlghten me. :D
Annette_69
New Fish

Postby Mesmx » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:19 am

Well Little green book and Little Blue book by phil gordon both made me a winning player well if it sucks to you, you dun really have to direct it out ?? cos its kind of insulting?
Mesmx
New Fish

Postby vaevictis » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:58 am

Books only teach you the fundamentals of what is good solid poker. It is enough to make an average player a decent marginal winner.

To go beyond marginal, you need so much more than books. Experimentation, developing styles, understanding styles, watching videos from different players, getting coaching, getting new insights.

While I gotta admit the little green and blue book by phil gordon, is not one of the better books that you should have. Seriously, it think it really sucks ahhaha.

Better ones so far that I know of are:
NLTAP (book that teaches concepts and its application. Very theory based, but very valuable)
Professional NL holdem (one of the first good book centered on cash games, with SPR theory etc etc which is not really applicable in reality, but gives a good framework for newer players)
Harrington series (standard for tournament players)
Super system (was one of the better books long time ago, but its pretty outdated now, not much value in terms of knowing why to make certain plays, but it teaches you how to play certain hands in a somewhat profitable manner in microstakes)
tournament poker for advance players
theory of poker

Also, do learn to read critically. With the pokercraze going on, many of the literature are actually poorly written with many "standard" information you can find on the net. Question the authors credentials, their poker playing experience, question the information presented compared to your plays. One example is ppl worshipping harrington and his upcoming cash game books. Do note that harrington made a name for himself playing conservative solid poker in the heydays of poker (when ppl are pussy and fold too much). In today's games, dynamics are changing, games getting more and more aggresive. He is also not a cash game guru in todays game. So always take what is written in books with a pinch of salt. Sklansky is also another theorybased player, but definitely not one of the real better players, but nonetheless his info is pretty good for all of us.
vaevictis
Challenge Poker Player

Postby Heart7Club2 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:21 pm

Annette_69 wrote:I need some of the members here to guide me the basics of poker.
Any good links to show me?

Hey Annette. I think our friends are suggesting pretty advanced books. Have a quick search through amazon. Poker is so popular most of hte poker books get a good number of reviewers - so you should be able ot figure out from there. THen can go buy from somewhere else.
Heart7Club2
New Fish

Postby Annette_69 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:46 pm

Weeeeee.....
My bf just bought me a book " The Theory of Poker" from Borders last weekend. :P
Annette_69
New Fish

Postby Nicefingers » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:51 pm

come join us for a game to test it out then. u can pm suitedpairs29 your contact and he will hook u up for a live games pretty soon.
Nicefingers
Shark

Medals: 2
Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1)

Postby DM101 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:28 am

Nicefingers wrote:come join us for a game to test it out then. u can pm suitedpairs29 your contact and he will hook u up for a live games pretty soon.

Imagine if Annette_69 is a chiobus, Jacky gotta drool and wet the felt. :mrgreen:
DM101
Site Admin

Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby Nicefingers » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:46 pm

shit, now she's not replying.
Nicefingers
Shark

Medals: 2
Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1)

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby Belousov » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:19 am

Harrington on Holdem 1+2
any book by Sklansky

is all you need book wise

I like to watch high stakes cash games for Ideas as well as the 5,200 Freeze-out on Pokerstars
although beware many of the moves you see in higher stakes will rarely make it through on lower limits.

Also a very good place to start if you are interested in tournaments is SNG's they offer a variegated amount of situations
that prepare you for both Tournament and cash game play
Belousov
Challenge Poker Player

Return to General Poker Strategy