Reviewing your game

Discuss the basics, psychology, probability, table selection etc.

Reviewing your game

Postby chenghao » Mon May 03, 2010 8:54 pm

After a game of poker , some pocket their money and smile their way home
Others curse their bad luck and repeat the same mistakes again.

Do you review your game after a session be it if you win or lose?
if you do , how do you review ?

Do you record down important information like
hands you saw and how people react to them ?
whose up whose down by how much?

Do you identify leaks in your game ? Be it overplaying pocket pairs , drawing independent of the price , not going for gut shots and the like when the price is right , not extracting value from hands that you would have , paying for information when it is not different from what you assumed not changing your future decisions / strategy and in turn not leading you to gain on adapting your strategy based on new found information etc etc..

i think its worth reviewing your game at all levels.
chenghao
Great White Shark

Medals: 3
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Re: Reviewing your game

Postby chenghao » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:49 pm

from http://www.cardschat.com/f57/need-littl ... ne-146855/
19th March 2009, 5:52 PM
Steveg1976

During your session jot down hands you have questions about win or lose regardless of the amount of the pot. Maybe you weren't sure about raising, or betting the turn or folding the river. There are lots of hands where at some point you might not be sure what to do.

You also need to be reviewing your winning hands to see if you can be winning more and losing hands to see if you could have lost less, if your c-bets were appropriate for example, or if a check may have induced a bluff.

When in doubt , post these hands that you are not sure of what to do. Post them for hand analysis

Dug this up from 2+2 archives

http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showfla ... 38&fpart=1

But if you play a bunch of tables you don't have nearly enough time to review how +/- your EV was for the big decisions you made that session. Here are some handy steps that help me after I play a session to get a handle on how well I am playing - and in what spots I really need to work on and improve.

i) Open up notepad or use pen/paper or something - open up the tracker s/w and filter it to show the big pots you just played.

ii) Open poker stove - replay the big hands you wanna look at in the replayer and pause the action when you had to make a decision. Punch the hand into the stove take your time and put the villain on a range and check your equity vs that range.

iii) MAKE A NOTE! - and move onto the next big hand.

This takes you 15-20 mins after you're done playing for a 90 min 4table session or thereabouts. If you got all-in pf AAvKK and stuff ignore those - just focus mostly on the hands where you had to think a little.

You should end up with a notepad file that looks like...

Session 5th Nov - Party $50NL

i) raised a 19/16 MP TAGs "CB" with air on rags flop - folded to shove - villain plays v tight from E/MP - but can't continue with whiffed OC's - OK play.
ii) called a b/3b all-in OOP vs TAG on flop w TPGK, V had naked fd. Good call - he is often semi-bluffing.
iii) ...

etc.

Save these then once a week look back through your cliffnotes and see if the same spots come up often - get into the habit of writing down why you did x in y situation and I find it helps me to think better at the table and overall make less FTOP "mistakes".

Which leads me onto "Deconstruction"

Basicaly taking other peoples games apart - and looking for ways to possibly exploit their weaknesses.

We all maintain large databases of opponents play - we ought to use these more.

Once a week I sit for an hour - pick out a villain I play against often that I have a LOT of hands on and I look at what moves they make - how they lost the big pots they played - how often they fold to a re-raise - what size of raise is need to get value - or to get a fold. I write up a huge pile of notes on this villain and either import them directly to the poker s/w or I notepad them and copy/paste them in later when I see them again.

Some villain giving you trouble at the table? - instead of keeping out of their way get under their skin, figure them out and be better armed next time you play them.
chenghao
Great White Shark

Medals: 3

Re: Reviewing your game

Postby DM101 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:33 pm

Great links for the kakis chenghao.
Thank you for the contribution. :D :lol: :D
DM101
Site Admin

Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)

Return to General Poker Strategy