Correct play with pocket pairs vs draws?

Discuss the basics, psychology, probability, table selection etc.

Correct play with pocket pairs vs draws?

Postby Tosser » Tue May 11, 2010 3:45 pm

Don't have my hand history on this computer, but yday had a 3 hour session on Pokerstars were i played 1/2 and 2/4 nlhe, i thought i played quite well and slowly build up my stack, however the 2 times where i could have (should have) doubled up i ended up loosing, so over all quite a bad day.

once 99 vs aq unsuited
once JJ vs ak unsuited

Both times villain raised 3 bb preflop i reraise to 9 bb and he calls, both times blank flop and we end up all in. Don't really see how i can get away from those hands as both times fairly confident he was on a draw and was actually a bit surprised that i got calls, especially view we both had stacks of well over 200 each time, and each time he catches (once a q and second one an A on the turn).

Anyone who has can give advise on how i should play these hands differently? Try to keep pot small in case he catches? My philosophy was to try to win it after the flop by getting him to fold.

:?:
Tosser
New Fish

Re: Correct play with pocket pairs vs draws?

Postby chenghao » Tue May 11, 2010 4:19 pm

post the hand history
chenghao
Great White Shark

Medals: 3
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby 18000rpm » Tue May 11, 2010 5:44 pm

Sounds like you played fine but just got unlucky. Assuming all they had were 2 over cards (without any straight or flush draws), and you went all-in on the flop, they only had 26% chance to win. You were a huge favorite both times.
18000rpm
New Fish

Postby Tosser » Tue May 11, 2010 6:05 pm

Yes no flush or straight draws, will try to see if get the full hand history later today/tonight, but the players who called had won big, thus even if they lost 200-250, they would still have been up with over 250 for the session, which guess might have influenced their call.

Sometimes you can just feel you will hit... or at least so you think.. ha ha
Tosser
New Fish

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Return to General Poker Strategy