How I got lucky with Pocket 8's

Brag about the good, vent over the bad.

How I got lucky with Pocket 8's

Postby AceKing » Sun May 30, 2010 12:21 am

This happened during one of my home games a few months ago. I was holding a pair of red 8's [8d] [8h] , and I limped in from middle position. Everyone else limped (limping is very common among my friends whenever we play, although sometimes I'll try to prevent others from limping).

3 baby cards hit the flop [7s] [5c] [2c] , players checked to me and I raised about half the size of the pot, I got called by three players after me, the rest folded. Now at this point I was pretty sure one of them is on a flush or straight draw because he called rather quickly, he usually makes a quick call when he's on a draw (sometimes I do too and I'm still trying to get rid of this deadly tell). The other two hesitated before they call but I couldn't put them on any hand.

The turn card was a [9s] , as it hits I was focusing on the guy whom I thought was on a draw. At that point I was convinced that he was on a draw and the turn card was not what he wanted. I was first to act and I really wanted to take the pot there, so I bet the size of the pot. After some "hollywooding", the guy who was on a draw folded, so two players left to act.

To my surprise one of them raised my pot sized bet, and the player after him hesitated before he made the call. I was so worried that one of them might be holding at least a 9. I really should be folding here but I still called, don't know why.

River card came and it was a [Td] . I really didn't think that my opponents would raise and call with a draw, so I tried to represent that I was drawing to a straight and got there. Come to think of it now my play on the flop and turn was no where near how I would have played if I was on a draw, so it was probably a bad decision when I decided to bet 3/4 the size of the pot.

If any one of them raised me, it's very likely that I'll fold. However, both of them called me. I was bemoaning the way I played the hand as I turned my cards over. Guess what they had? One had [Ks] [Js] and another guy had [As] [2s] .

And that's the story of how I managed to beat two players, even after playing pocket 8's terribly. Oh by the way, the guy who folded after the turn was drawing to a Club flush.
AceKing
ABC Poker Player

Re: How I got lucky with Pocket 8's

Postby chenghao » Sun May 30, 2010 12:51 am

chenghao
Great White Shark

Medals: 3
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby guanie » Sun May 30, 2010 5:42 am

chenghao wrote:Image

LOL.
guanie
New Fish

Postby AceKing » Sun May 30, 2010 1:38 pm

I hope that isn't sarcasm. =p
AceKing
ABC Poker Player

Pokerkaki Ads