AK facing 3 bet Strategy post

Discuss the basics, psychology, probability, table selection etc.

AK facing 3 bet Strategy post

Postby vaevictis » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:55 pm

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showf ... &fpart=all

Link from 2+2 forums.

Good read for most online players at Small stakes 100nl and above. Shows the maths involved in understand your equity vs ranges of your opponents 3-bet preflop.

3betting is highly common in 100nl and above (as of late i've noticed 50nl players getting fancier with their 3bets OOP). I've to admit I 3-bet with a decent range (SCs, trash etc) against a button raiser, mostly due to reads and PAHUD. Prior to reading this article, i'll usually call with AK in position aganist the 3better and see a flop. Dont really like to push as I dislike a high variance game. Any comments?
vaevictis
Challenge Poker Player

Re: AK facing 3 bet Strategy post

Postby DM101 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:33 pm

It's a very good post here Leslie.
AK is indeed overrated at times. Still learning to play AK in various positions.
I think if u really wanna push your AK, even after a flop without showing any A or K, the best way is to enter a ring game with a short stack. So if you really lose the hand, you don't lose that much. And if you are disciplined enough, you can always lay down your hands after seeing the flop.
DM101
Site Admin

Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby suitedpairs29 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:31 am

Great article leslie! Thanks for the link

I always thought that reshoving with AK was +EV, but I never had the math to back it up. I am a coinflip at worst against most hands and crush other ace combinations. I try and mix it up sometimes since I feel that I can safely outplay my opponents after the flop and dont need to race to make the moneyzzz.

I admit that whenever I get reraised and I am OOP and have AK, it sends shivers down my spine. Especially if villain has me covered. I am only really scared of Queens, Kings and Aces here, but still the idea of shipping it all in with AK preflop in a cash game where people can just rebuy is still tough to stomach. The post really helped me understand the math involved.

thanks again!
suitedpairs29
Challenge Poker Player

Postby vaevictis » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:26 pm

Lately I've tried experimenting 4/bet AK in position aganist a 3better from the blinds. Almost all of the time I took the pot down PF. Sometimes I'll just shove AK, sometimes 4bet. Making sure that I do the same with KK and AA as well. AK is a very good hand PF to get it all in aganist almost any hands, inclusive of AA and KK, because of the fact that you hold and Ace and a King, thus decreasing the possibility (though definitely ever-present possibility) of your opponents holding them. And if you know a player has been reraising light, all the more his 3-bet range widens --> lower possibility of holding AA, KK.

AKo vs AA is a 13-1 underdog, while AKo vs KK is a 2.3-1 dog.
AKo vs any pocketpair 22-QQ is 1.2:1 dog. (even money)
AKo is a favorite aganist other hand combinations.

I can only conclude that more people are 3betting lighter in 6 max games, or have known the benefits of 3betting light (at 100nl at least). It makes it extremely hard for the button/CO raiser to carry on. Shoving AK all in after a 3bet has alot of folding and pot equity in today's games, given the high level of aggresiveness these days.
vaevictis
Challenge Poker Player

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby suitedpairs29 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:38 pm

Agree about the elevated leve of aggression at 6max games. This stems mostly from the fact that there are less people that people tend to loosen up their starting hand requirements. That, and the fact that no one ever thinks you have a real hand short handed.

I think smooth calling against a straight forward player with AK is good because you can probably outplay them after the flop. Mixing it up is good as well. I once limped in EP at a 6max game with AK and called a raise and reraise from the blinds and flop comes AAK. SB checks, BB bets, I smooooooth call after clicking on time. SB min raises, BB calls, and I smooooooooth again. Turn Q, SB shoves, BB calls and I fold... lol, of course I call. SB has AQ, BB has QQ, and we all know what I had: the frigggggin NUTZ. Chaching $100 pot playing 25NL. Probably raising UTG wouldv scared off the AQ, or made him cautious at the very least.

Now the above scenario wont happen very often, but being tricky in cash games is sometimes the way to get paid off. Winning the small pots helps you with the lay downs you have to make down when it is very apparent that your opponent has some weird two pair, straight or flush. AK is also powerful in that you know when to lay it down. AA and KK can be very hard to fold, being up against sets or two pairs can easily damage your well earned stack.

Like all things poker, everything is situational. I think the post hit on every scenarion perfectly. This will definitely improve the game of all those wanting to get better playing NLHE.
suitedpairs29
Challenge Poker Player

Return to General Poker Strategy