Is it profitable to play every pocket pairs?

Discuss the basics, psychology, probability, table selection etc.

Is it profitable to play every pocket pairs?

Postby keldraco » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:15 am

I am play at 0.01/0.02 level and notice that alot of player will play their pocket pair everytime they have it. I am talking about mid/small pairs here. They will limp and/or call a raise as large as 5-6 bb in any kind of situation and position.

For me i will fold 55 & below (sometime 66)in early position. i will only play them with afew limpers infront in mid/late position. I will play on the blind facing a raise not more then 4bb. i will fold to raise of 5bb or more. I will limp with 99/88/77 early. Should i be playing those pocket pairs more often?
keldraco
ABC Poker Player

Re: Is it profitable to play every pocket pairs?

Postby chenghao » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:31 am

Many ways to play Pocket Pairs
Ideally you want to stack off people with a set vs top pair sort of hands , Over pair vs top pair , set over set etc.

http://www.pokerjunkie.com/set-mining-explained
Preflop depends on how many handed / stacksize and position.
Implied odds , Effective stack size , Type of opponent , Risk of higher sets

Full ring ( 7 +) EP : JJ+ , MP :88+ , LP :22+
Short handed (3-6) Any position open
Heads Up (2) Open always on button.

the reason to fold anything below JJ EP is that if there is raise and reraises after you , your 22 or 66 might not stand the pressure ( u need them and you to have at least 8/9 of their stack left as 1 in 8 times you hit your set on the flop)

If you open limp everytime u have Low PP / suited connectors , its very easy for people to put you on a hand ( if they do think about what you have) If someone open raise / limps , then you call/overlimp , thats fine.
Thinking opponents won't pay you off your set. and will take you off your hand whenever you don't hit your set.

You want to raise with PP the same amount as you would raise with hands like AK , KQ etc so that no one is sure what you have.
You want to build the pot enough to deter people from drawing later. like a brick on the turn you can ship it , even if people decides to draw and make it , you got your money in when you are ahead. So reload and sit back in with those gamblers and in no time their entire stack will be with you

e.g.
stacks 100BB

dealt to hero : [2s] [2h]

UTG (Hero): Limps !
UTG+1 : fold
UTG +2 : fold
Mp : fold
Mp+1 : folds
Mp + 2 : Limps
CO : limps
Btn : Joins in the fun !
Blinds : Limps !
pot : 5 BB

Flop : [2c] [Ac] [4d]
Hero : bets pot ! 5BB!
Mp + 2 : calls with Top pair
CO : now it costs me 5BB to win a pot of 15 BB ( 20 if i include my 5 BB ) , its worth it and their stacks still have like 94 behind , if i hit my flush i will get the set/straight / pairs to pay me off
CO : calls
Btn : I got Open ended straight draw ! it costs me 5BB to win a pot of 20 BB , its worth it !
Btn calls
Blinds folds

Pot has (25BB) Turn : [Qh] a brick
Hero bets 1/2 pot ! (12BB)
MP : calls !
CO : calls !
Btn : calls !

River: [6c]
Hero still has set of 2s , but CO now has flush while btn now has a straight.

Hero : !_)(*%!@_)ln_!)*%_!@)*% nalsdj-09t315+!@(%9-

If you had raised PreFlop with your 22 ,
stacks 100BB

dealt to hero : [2s] [2h]

UTG (Hero): Raise 5BB !
UTG+1 : fold
UTG +2 : fold
Mp : fold
Mp+1 : folds
Mp + 2 : Calls !
CO : Calls!
Btn : Calls !
Blinds : folds !
pot : 21.5 BB

Flop : [2c] [Ac] [4d]
Hero : bets pot ! 21.5BB!
Mp + 2 : calls with Top pair
CO : now it costs me 21.5BB to win a pot of 64.5 BB it seems worth it but their stacks only have 73.5 behind , if i hit my flush i will get the set/straight / pairs to pay me off
Btn : calls

pot before turn : 86 BB

Turn : [Qh] a brick

Hero : All in
Mp : nah its not worth my entire stack , i fold
Chain reaction of folds ! Hero takes the pot !

Post Flop It depends on how many way and texture of the flop

Good flops for you : when u have a PP say 5s , : AX5 , KX5
Some one is bound to have the A or K and you will extract from them if they can't let go.
you won't be able to extract from higher pockets then yours but lower then A or K like QQ or JJ simply because they put you on that A or K and fold.

when you have say TT , flop comes J98 or 987 or QJ9 , you would have OESD together + straight blocker ( you got a T , its less likely a T is out there) with set draw also , with the initiative you can play this monster profitably i think.

when you have any PP say 77 or JJ , on a AXX or KXX board , you can also make others fold like QQ or TT , if they are afraid of the A or K , they might be set mining themselves and sometimes with the initiative , you can make thinking players fold their higher pairs.

then it boils down to if the board is wet or dry
draw heavy boards like [Th] [9h] [Qs] will have both straight and flush draws.
Dry boards are like [2s] [7h] [Kd] , no straight and flush draw (discounting backdoors)

on a draw heavy board , you would want to play your hand fast and aggressively.
on a dry board , its ok to be passive sometimes to let your opponent develop his hand more before you take it down.
chenghao
Great White Shark

Medals: 3
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Return to General Poker Strategy