Bad Beats and the Doom Switch

Brag about the good, vent over the bad.

Bad Beats and the Doom Switch

Postby mudspot » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:29 pm

I have been hearing strange things lately about a doom switch or a difficulty level switch at the poker sites. Especially now that I will be starting work at Mansion soon, people have been asking for superuser accounts. BTW, I am not in the Poker group. I am in the Trade Betting group. If you have no idea of what it is about, visit Betfair and look for Tradefair, or trade betting.

Ok, back to my main point.

1. I am a top-notch programmer. I can tell you programming a doom switch/difficulty level switch is not only economically non-viable; BUT also mathematically senseless. Even if you have a separate difficulty level, the number of cards in each level is still 52. And still random. Further more, how do you classify what cards or what board as "more difficult"? Poker is a game what any pockets can play and win; so a difficulty level classification is non-mathematically. Any classification can only be based on Probability/Statistics.

2. Poker gaming companies have employees, and do employ new people. They have employed thousands of people. This means that they have source code access to the gaming environment. Now if there is a really a doom switch, any smart programmer will just take the code, quit his job, and sue the company. "See, here is the doom switch code/difficulty level". The company will be dead. Any thinks the company is that stupid?

3. Super Accounts. Yes, any computer system has super accounts. However, please remember. There are audits involved. Gaming authorities always check the number of people having super accounts. Furthermore, the downloaded clients that runs the poker software DO NOT have access to super account functions. So even if you get your hands on a super user account, it's useless to you. In the Absolute bet scandal, the cheaters actually use their test in-house test software to look at the cards (they still can't manipulate the shuffled deck), and not the actual Absolute Poker software.

4. Bad Beats. If you are a good player, have a good tight opening range, play your best games, then the only way for a fish/donk to beat you is through luck, yes through a bad beat. The number of bad beats you get to directly proportional to your skills as a good poker player. So, in fact, be happy if you are getting beaten through bad beats, and not because, you are playing Jack-shit.

Cheers. And here's wishing you more bad beats to come

mudspot
mudspot
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 1
Helpful Kaki (1)

Re: Bad Beats and the Doom Switch

Postby ohboy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:41 pm

actually, while your argument is sound, i should point out that the first part of your argument assumes randomness, which is exactly what the counter-party is accusing poker sites off.
ohboy
Shark

Postby mudspot » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:15 pm

hi hi ohboy,

I think you are talking about the randomness of the card shuffle. For my argument, it does not matter what RNG is being use; whether hardware RNG or pseudo-random software generators. In every poker site, every player is equally impacted by the skewness of RNGs; one can even say that is a form of randomness itself.

The first part of my argument, does indeed have 1 assumption. Upon division of the users into "difficulty" levels, it is assumed that they are using the same RNGs.

Cheers.
mudspot
mudspot
Challenge Poker Player

Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby ohboy » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:32 pm

obviously if there ARE indeed different difficulty settings, the cards cannot be random.

which is what i was trying to say. People who insist that there is a doomswitch somewhere is basically accusing non-randomness, but pre-determined cards. If that is the case, you cannot use randomness as a counter to it=)
ohboy
Shark

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby statix » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:34 pm

ohboy wrote:obviously if there ARE indeed different difficulty settings, the cards cannot be random.

which is what i was trying to say. People who insist that there is a doomswitch somewhere is basically accusing non-randomness, but pre-determined cards. If that is the case, you cannot use randomness as a counter to it=)

Yup, the logic for the first argument is flawed. I'm not saying that I agree/disagree with the argument, but the logic of it is flawed.
doom switch IS non-random [pre-determined] cards.

Just as a counter example, you can have a huge table with permutations of the 52 cards (post-shuffle and pre-deal), and the corresponding resulting pot value (rake) of the permutation. Statistically, you can determine which permutation will result in the higher rake for a poker site (like those with full house over quads, etc).

Anyway, I don't believe in doom switch. As mudspot mentioned, it's economically unsound.
statix
ABC Poker Player

Postby vaevictis » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:20 pm

Ppl who believe in doomswitches are those who simply dont play enough poker, or those who just dont understand poker at all.
vaevictis
Challenge Poker Player

Postby newbie » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:05 pm

i dont think they have any doomswitches online.. not sure abt our live games though.. something must be goin on ;)
Challenge Poker Player

Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1)

Postby DM101 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:23 pm

newbie wrote:i dont think they have any doomswitches online.. not sure abt our live games though.. something must be goin on ;)

Charles, you can buy Doomswitches from Mike. He has 2 models so far.

Model number:

Simei-DS

Clementi-DS
DM101
Site Admin

Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby newbie » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:08 am

those models only work on you chris.. and knowing you, we probably dont need any doomswitches to outplay you.. hahaha
Challenge Poker Player

Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1)

Postby davidfrost » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:48 am

Is anyone still using doomswitches for this year so far?
davidfrost
New Fish

Return to Hand Histories - Good & Bad Beats