PP vs two high cards, to play or not to play?

Discuss the basics, psychology, probability, table selection etc.

PP vs two high cards, to play or not to play?

Postby keldraco » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:26 am

In a tournament (live or online), u r holding PP/two high, and you are about 70%-80% sure the other guy have two high/PP. Everyone folded, headup. Under what condition will u make or call an all in move (stack size, how far the tour have proceed, amount invested...)?

If both stack size are healthy, how would you make your PF play?
keldraco
ABC Poker Player

Re: PP vs two high cards, to play or not to play?

Postby requiemzx » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:30 am

My 2cents would be to consider the bubble line and flop consistencies at least 3-4 hands previously if it favors yur under pair then u might have a go at it try to keep the pot low preflop so if u dun flop a set u can still get away chances are if the opponent also has a reasonable stack he too won't risk it too soon also look at whether or not u have position against him as this will determine yur action before and after the flop
requiemzx
New Fish

Re: PP vs two high cards, to play or not to play?

Postby chenghao » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:56 am

keldraco wrote:In a tournament (live or online), u r holding PP/two high, and you are about 70%-80% sure the other guy have two high/PP. Everyone folded, headup. Under what condition will u make or call an all in move (stack size, how far the tour have proceed, amount invested...)?

If both stack size are healthy, how would you make your PF play?

more for SnGs

Tournament stages : Early ( more then 24 BB) Mid ( 13 to 24BB) Late ( less then 13 BB)

if u call early in the tourney , the purpose is to set mine , hit or fold. needing the odds to set mine

in the middle stages , if you are sure his stealing with this hand (typically raising from CO/BTN / SB in an attempt on the blinds , but some think UTG is the new steal position ) and will fold to a reraise/ shove , then only do you res-teal.

In the later stages , when someone has opened the pot , i rebound (go all in ) depending on being on SB / BB / not on blinds

When not blinds , i will only rebound with
88 , 77 if have 5 BB or less left and the person who opens is from MP , 7BB or less left and the person opens from CO
TT , 99 , if have 8 BB or less left and the person opens from EP , 9 for MP , 11 for CO.
JJ+ if i have 13 BB or less , and the person opens from EP/MP/CO

On SB
66 , 55 - 5 BB from CO , 8 BB from Btn
88 77 - 7 BB from MP , 11 BB from CO , 13 from Btn
TT-99 , 9 from EP , 13 from MP CO BTN
AA-JJ , 13 from EP MP CO BTN

On BB
44 33 - 4 BB MP , 5 BB CO , 6 BB Btn , 7 BB SB
66-55 - 5BB MP , 8BB CO, 10 BB Btn , 13 BB SB
77-88 - 8BB MP , 13BB CO BTN SB
TT 99 - 10BB EP , 13BB MP CO BTN SB
AA JJ - 13BB EP MP CO BTN SB

If 2 opened raised/ shove in front of me , i play only KK+

(Google for ICM trainer , its useful for late stage push and fold , when is it mathematically correct to do it , practice it before every set you play SnG)

another phase would be during bubble , are you aiming to cash or for number 1 ?
are the others on the table aiming to cash or number 1 ?
Aiming to cash would tend to tighten up , aiming for number 1 would loosen up and steal more.
only lucky donkeys who got there through sheer luck would still play the same
chenghao
Great White Shark

Medals: 3
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Return to General Poker Strategy