King-high flush vs Nut-flush

Discuss the basics, psychology, probability, table selection etc.

King-high flush vs Nut-flush

Postby AceKing » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:58 pm

I read somewhere that set over set is a situation that will occur very rarely and it shouldn't be one of your considerations when you hit your set.

What about the King-high flush? How often does the King-high flush runs into the Nut-flush?

Is there ever a time to go all-in with a King-high flush when your opponent play back at you on a pair-less board?
AceKing
ABC Poker Player

Re: King-high flush vs Nut-flush

Postby bulkbiz » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:59 pm

Just go ALL IN LOL
bulkbiz
New Fish

Postby Jin.T » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:33 am

I think the K-high flush might juz have to pay the nut flush off, unless u've got a very gd read that u're only 2nd best to his nut flush.
Jin.T
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 1
Good home game host (1)

Postby dadzz » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:21 pm

happened to me last sat... got king high flush at the river... watcha***** pushed ALL-IN at the river... i didn't read properly... he used to pushed with a not so good hand and beaten by someone... but last sat showdown, he showed nut flush... well, really can't fold that time... sigh...
dadzz
LWPS Main Event Champ

Medals: 2
Macau Cup Participant (1) Crowned a poker tournament (1)

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby AceKing » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:17 pm

For my case, I raised 3BB preflop on the button with KJ of clubs, Villain calls on the big blind. Flopped a flush right a way. He checked, I decided to slowplay a flopped flush.

Turn was a blank, I bet half the pot, he reraises me, I reraise him, he reraised me again and I went over the top. He called, and I was drawing dead. He had A4 of clubs.

Did I miss a read? Was there a tell that he had the nut-flush? When I went all-in, was it a donk move that would make a worse hand fold and a better hand call? I have no idea.... If he had the Queen-high flush, would he have made the same call?

Personally, if I were to bet the flop instead of slowplaying, the only difference would be that I go all in on the flop instead of on the turn. So, not to go all in with King-high flush?
AceKing
ABC Poker Player

Postby snipeprig » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:18 am

well, put it this way, if YOU haf a queen high flush, would u are to do a re-re-reraise? and the board obviously do not show a K or an Ace suit, so which means if villain haf a queen high flush, it would put his hand at 3rd highest, depending on how he plays, Q high flush might just be a call any hand for some players instead of a re-raise
snipeprig
New Fish

Postby AceKing » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:33 pm

snipeprig wrote:well, put it this way, if YOU haf a queen high flush, would u are to do a re-re-reraise? and the board obviously do not show a K or an Ace suit, so which means if villain haf a queen high flush, it would put his hand at 3rd highest, depending on how he plays, Q high flush might just be a call any hand for some players instead of a re-raise

Are you saying that if you get re-raised more than twice you would fold your King-high flush?
AceKing
ABC Poker Player

Postby AsiaPokerAcademy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:44 am

Having the King high flush versus the nut flush on an unpaired board is 'almost' impossible to get away from if you are 100BB of less stack.

There will be many times where your opponent shows up with a lower flush, and if you are playing with a normal stack at a cash game, just stack off and reload. It happens, but not that often.
AsiaPokerAcademy
Challenge Poker Player

Helpful Kaki (2)

Postby snipeprig » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:44 pm

i'm juz saying if i am holding k-high flush, and i raise on the turn and face a re-raise, i will probably flat call and call the river.

but of course, chances are if u juz instant flat call on turn, villain will probably shove on river.
wad u can do is hollywood on turn, reluctant to call the reraise, and when u finally call, the guy will probably value bet u on river instead of shoving everything. lose minimum

then again, i am also a donkey living in my own world
snipeprig
New Fish

Postby AsiaPokerAcademy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:19 pm

snipeprig wrote:i'm juz saying if i am holding k-high flush, and i raise on the turn and face a re-raise, i will probably flat call and call the river.

but of course, chances are if u juz instant flat call on turn, villain will probably shove on river.
wad u can do is hollywood on turn, reluctant to call the reraise, and when u finally call, the guy will probably value bet u on river instead of shoving everything. lose minimum

then again, i am also a donkey living in my own world

Hehe, I wouldn't say you are a donkey, that is just a conservative approach.

Think of it this way, you hold [Kh] [4h] and you bet on a [Jh] [8h] [3s] flop. You are called.

The turn comes [5h] , you hit your flush, so you bet and your opponent raises.

Isn't it possible your opponent was flat calling your flop bet with [Qh] [Th] or [Th] [9h] or [7h] [6h]

It is possible he has [Ah] [2h] as well, but if he just called the flop with a flush draw, and raised the turn, it might also mean he has a lower flush. If you are really deep stacked and out of position, I like your conservative approach. However, if you are not that deep, it's ok to be strong with a 2nd nut flush, imo
AsiaPokerAcademy
Challenge Poker Player

Helpful Kaki (2)

Return to General Poker Strategy