Challenge: Freeroll to High-roll

Discuss ring game approaches and strategies here

Challenge: Freeroll to High-roll

Postby AceKing » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:15 pm

Some of you might be aware of Chris 'Jesus' Ferguson's 10k challenge in Full Tilt Poker. It was a challenge in which he turned 0 USD to 10k USD playing online at FTP.

Well, since he's kinda like a celebrity there might be some doubt about the credentials of his challenge. Nevertheless, it has inspired me attempt the same.

I played freeroll tourneys on PokerStars and after my first cash, I played microstakes and got my roll up to 15 USD. However, a several bad plays and bad runs later, I went on tilt and lost all forms of discipline. I actually went all-in every hand with my last 3 USD, practically busted myself.

I regretted a lot and after a few weeks, I started freeroll-ing again on PokerStars and FullTilt. Managed to win a couple of freeroll satelites and have 2 tickets to tournaments with better payouts. Also, I managed to finished 9th yesterday on one of FullTilt's daily freerolls. Although the winnings are only 4.50 USD, I'm looking to build from here.

I'm planning to either start playing mirostakes or continue increasing my bankroll risk-free with freerolls, nevertheless I'm not planning to play hardcore and intend to take it slow. Any advice is welcomed. I heard several people say that if you wanna make it in this game, start with a decent bankroll, or else you are just not taking it seriously. I'd like to hear more opinions regarding this.

Cheers.
AceKing
ABC Poker Player

Re: Challenge: Freeroll to High-roll

Postby DM101 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:38 pm

Ahhh .........Freerolls are the most ++++++++++++EV tourneys for a poker player.
I am a Freeroll freak myself too. I won a USD$25000 EPT Grand Final package last year on PS.
I believe you can do it too.
Go try the Lamborghini Freerolls which are running 24/7 on Pokerstars now.
I've made my way to the Grand Final already and I hope you can join me there.

Good luck in your freerolls. :D
DM101
Site Admin

Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby teamloyang01 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:57 pm

Chris,

Maybe you can share with us the secret of free rolls...tight early or whack all in early to build up pot...etc.
teamloyang01
ABC Poker Player

Postby DM101 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:00 pm

teamloyang01 wrote:Chris,

Maybe you can share with us the secret of free rolls...tight early or whack all in early to build up pot...etc.

I have posted a Freeroll guide months ago. Check it out.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3669
DM101
Site Admin

Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby AceKing » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:20 pm

DM101 wrote:Ahhh .........Freerolls are the most ++++++++++++EV tourneys for a poker player.
I am a Freeroll freak myself too. I won a USD$25000 EPT Grand Final package last year on PS.
I believe you can do it too.
Go try the Lamborghini Freerolls which are running 24/7 on Pokerstars now.
I've made my way to the Grand Final already and I hope you can join me there.

Good luck in your freerolls. :D

I participated in a few Lamborgini Freerolls, but I find PS freerolls slightly tougher than FTP's. Also, PS frerolls are less frequent and the timing isn't as good for me compared to FTP. For example, Lamborgini freeroll's second stage is on Monday early morning, not good for working individuals. However, I did win a ticket for their weekly freeroll, one of which is on Saturday night, that's ideal.

Anyway, played 2 games of microstake SnG, finished 3rd and 1st, only top 2 places paid though. So, went from USD 4.50 to USD 6 now. Long way to go, but I'll be happy enough as long as there's a road (i.e. I don't go bust).

Good luck to you too.
AceKing
ABC Poker Player

Postby AceKing » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:15 pm

Uuurgh.... Just lost 3 SnG's in a row.... Down to USD 2.40 now LOL.

Looks like I will be freerolling again.....
AceKing
ABC Poker Player

Postby imbaikun » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:14 am

good luck to you. i am sorta doing something similar grinding micro 2NL + freerolling.
imbaikun
New Fish

Postby AceKing » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:01 pm

Playing 2 freerolls at the same time now.

FullTilt's $150 Rush Poker Freeroll, and PokerStars' Hubble Freeroll (top 72 wins ticket to a weekly freeroll).
AceKing
ABC Poker Player

Postby jw88 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:11 pm

Just won a $12T (Top 1-3) freeroll tournament from FullTilt :D Played till 4am lol, was damn sleepy during work the nxt day hehe but the feeling is shiok! But lost $2 dollar to cash games...haiz
jw88
New Fish

Postby kegleric » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:12 am

grats! btw how long did you take to get there?
kegleric
New Fish

Postby jw88 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:47 pm

About 3 hours for me, think it was a Turbo tournament.
jw88
New Fish

Postby donzo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:44 pm

are these freeroll tournies exactly free?
donzo
Challenge Poker Player

Postby dilkkz » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:26 am

Actually I'm somewhere there, thanks to a donk's luck.

I began my BR journey on PS with $10 a friend sent me, ran it up all the way to $30 playing STTs, and lost it all. Well this was me as a beginner (which I probably still am now)

Began asking around on the FPP rooms which I started to use up to qualify for tourneys, which some kind soul donated $0.10, which I was able to run it up to a good $3+ before losing it all, again.

Joined FT, got a couple of bucks from the PLO rush free rolls , ran it up to $8, and down to my last $0.10, someone donated $2 to me, ran it up to $6 and Full Tilt got removed.

With a depleted PS BR, thanks to the causeway freerolls I managed to cash $1, ran it up to $5, played another causeway free roll (came in 2nd) to $20, and a caught a milestone hand giving me about $193. So around that time I had $213 ish. After a few more weeks of grinding, I am now at $247.42.

Quite happy but thinking of withdrawing it back to $100, and starting from there before I donk all my winnings away.
dilkkz
New Fish

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Return to Cash Games