I need motive...

Anything poker-related, and which doesn't fit into other forum categories

I need motive...

Postby cse2k » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:49 pm

I had been playing poker a almost a year here... and I had deposited once quite a time and I busted the bankroll myself, well maybe back there I wasn't good enough and it's an experience to recieve. Now, I had deposited 100$ into fulltilt just to hope I get a good go in my game. and again, while playing in micro cash game and sng, I do not acchieve anything. I dropped till 75 and able to play the game back up to 94 untill last saturday, and I've dropped back to 88 today.I was so depressing and it seems to me like I wasn't good enough and the cards are not even kind to me. I know poker takes time and experience to get better, but then I was soooo on tilt when I did a stupid mistake. and everyday I went into the 0.01/0.02 cash game tables very carefully trying not to picked up some crazy tables. and still there are people who came in to destroy the table balance and the game goes crushed. So... I really thinking of quitting poker due maybe I'm not a good player and I can't stand these beats. But then I love poker so much that I'm willing to learn a game so deep like I never did before except for the main studies of mine. So I wish any experience players here could gimme some advice and what to do when I did some mistakes... it will be very grateful for all the help. I still hope I could continue playing poker by winning most of the time. lolx
cse2k
New Fish

Re: I need motive...

Postby Brasstal » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:48 pm

Since losing $10 or so affects your mood then you should consider calling the gambling hotline but...

On a serious note, read more on poker, play more free money games and avoid real money games. If you play online bankroll control and never move up to higher then $0.01/$0.02 and play lesser tables while you seek to improve yourself untill you beat the game.

Seek help from the kakis here and read more. =D Good luck!
Brasstal
Team PokerStar Asia

Medals: 11
Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (2) APPT Participant (1) RPT Participant (1) FPT Participant (1) WSOP Participant (1) Crowned a poker tournament (1) 3rd Place in a poker tourny (1) Helpful Kaki (1)
Good Seller (1)

Postby cannon0414 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:56 pm

Same thing happened for me. After a few deposits, i feel that i'm not suited for online play. Maybe its just that i get too impatient online and calling seems so much easier online than live play. So now i've quit online poker and just play live poker, which has been far far more profitable.

But i'll advise you to read and learn more. Read forums like this and twoplustwo, a lot of valuable info can be found. Can't give much online poker advice, but i'd advise you to go to Fulltilt academy to learn from the pros there. A lot of very informative videos.
cannon0414
New Fish

Postby cse2k » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:57 pm

Thanks for the advice. Today I've played 1 sng and end up in 4th, which is very disastrous with the bad beats, and MTT ends 19 which they pay at 18th. same, bad beat... I can't even understand the game now...gosh... maybe just some bad luck today...

I will try to make myself play a single cash game tomorow and with one buy in to limit my lose... Hope I play well there. End today's game... -6$
cse2k
New Fish

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby Froggy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:57 am

Read more and play less. Studying the game helps more than playing when you are not sure :)
Froggy
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (1) APPT Participant (1) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1)

Postby chenghao » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:48 pm

OT : Nice picture there vic :mrgreen:

Read continuously to improve ! observe and understand , learn , plug your leaks , expose others!

What i can suggest first is to focus on either cash game or SNG , not both at the same time. Pick one that you like , cash game with static blinds , or SNG with dynamic blinds I like SnG for the fact that you can all in , lose all your chips and still win $$ ( e.g. ITM in 3rd) what i don't like is SnG , you can't really stop half way the way you can with cash games as the tournament doesn't stop untill a winner is crowned!

get some sort of tracking software to help you , like pokertracker 3 , hold em manager , pokeroffice , or pokerelephant (XXXXXX)
(google for them)

if u play SnGs , understand and read up a few SnG strategies before choosing one and playing that one for like 50 games , following it exactly as instructed . use trainers like ICM trainer for late game decisions to help , when u feel like you want to focus on SNGS , get tools like SNGwiz to help you

http://www.sngwiz.com/tiki/tiki-index.php

if you still decide not to purchase any software , you can always use an external site to check your own performance like
http://www.pokertableratings.com/ for cash games
http://www.sharkscope.com/ for SnGS
chenghao
Great White Shark

Medals: 3
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby cse2k » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:02 pm

Thank you for all the help! I'm currently getting better in cash games, hope that I could move up faster!!
cse2k
New Fish

Postby holypendant » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:04 am

i think the best is to learn to try to breakeven 1st before u try to earn profit at poker.. size down your table to 2-4 and play abc poker. dont tilt and do fancy move. then after 20-30k hands, re-evaluate. by then u shld be able to grab a good picture of the game..
holypendant
New Fish

Medals: 1
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1)

Postby xcaliblur » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:54 am

Well if you are talking about making mistakes: it happens to everyone~ even Phil Ivey cant be 100% sure what cards the other player has. The difference is Pros are able to narrow down the range of hands, making them LESS likely to make mistakes.

And if you are talking about bad beats EVERYONE suffers from bad beats. No matter what anyone says, poker still has an element of gambling in it. The difference here with say Bacarrat is that its more controllable (EV comes into mind).

The biggest difference is that real pros dont go on tilt when the above 2 happens. Whereas amateurs (like me =P) gets emotional and loses more money after that. Patience is the biggest factor in poker.

What i suggest is to first get a good basic understanding of poker. I am not sure how much you know, but if you are serious about becoming a better player and move up, then you need to know things like EV, implied odds, pot odds, the levels of thinking etc. You can get all this info from other kakis here or from the net.

My 2 cents
xcaliblur
Challenge Poker Player

Postby cse2k » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:27 am

Thank you for the suggestions. Actually I think playing at everest poker makes me happier as I could earn more profit than in fulltilt, actually I would like to ask what is EV? because I don't really understand the meaning and what's the use of it.
cse2k
New Fish

Postby justafish » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:25 pm

go for the lesser known but reliable sites mate,the playing pool is generally softer. i.e NoiQ,Everest,RedKings... Only setback is that they're more filled at night due to being on the other side of the globe.
justafish
New Fish

Postby cse2k » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:11 am

Actually I'd like to ask how many player here plays micro stake at fulltilt? I'm getting more and more annoyed by the players there. They can be rivering me, cracking my pocket aces or AK in various ways.. and I really got no idea how I lose to them. I was thinking maybe I should move to everest to build my micro limit stack then only move back to fulltilt after i reached the low stake or medium stake... chasing runner runner with any raise to him? crazy... chasing runner runner straight with any raise to him.... another crazy.... crack my AK with 3K... more crazy.... I'm totally out of full tilt... for good.
cse2k
New Fish

Postby Vinally » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:08 pm

cse2k, moving back to another poker room or forth, make no difference unless you are talking about rakeback. You will still get bad beats.

Try to review your hands and find out why/where the mistake is, then you will learn. you will become stronger and make good decision better.

How about suggesting you to switching to live poker for a while and see how you will learn from there. You will learn alot, like really alot. You can see the betting pattern, weird actions from various players. it helps you to evolve into more better player

I am sure there are many low stakes .2/.4 around there. start from there, when u build good bankroll, when you are ready, u can go back to online and play what u had learned from other players.

From my experience, i tilt until i lose my mind, i don't read books or learn anything. i try live poker .2/.4, play while and i began to understand the game, understand why people bet and bluff, understand the position, understand the scare card like A, especially someone show the card when he is raising-bluffing with 27 when the board 39A, it helps alot in your decision. i seen too many things, that you decided to pull this stunt off, i mean at the right situation to bluff. that why you learn more from live.

Someone is so aggressive, like to bet every times, Someone is calling station, like to call. I see few times which someone aggressive versus calling station, calling station win. That is how i find out and understand the game.

It is process of learning through the live poker and help u become better player

But reading the books really helps alot, but more practical way is more better. :)
Vinally
Challenge Poker Player

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby Lo0o0o0n » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:34 am

hey!

I think u got a totally wrong mindset for the game. Sucking out and having to deal with crazy players are all part of the game. If u cannot deal with it, then poker really is not the game for u. Not to mention, swings in your bankroll is also all part and parcel of being a poker player. No poker player on earth can say they win every time they play, they just can say they win MOST of the time and that's really good enough.

So, instead of running away from all these essential elements of poker, learn to deal with them. Switching between sites or stakes will not do any good. At all stakes at all sites, u will have swings and there will be crazy pple and there relli is nothing u can do abt it. so i think for u to enjoy the game properly, u relli need to understand it first. learn to accept the bad beats and be thankful for the crazy pple arnd u coz in the long run they will be the run contributing to ur winrate.

hope this helps! =)

-Alex Loon-
Lo0o0o0n
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 7
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (2) Macau Cup Participant (2) APPT Participant (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Next

Return to General Poker Chat