Welcome to My World ^_^

Once a competitive card gamer who has tasted success online, Felix divides his time between investing and playing poker. A journeyman who always has time for kakis

Welcome to My World ^_^

Postby felixleong » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:49 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Felix Leong and welcome to my world, first of all let me give an introduction.

I used to be a competitive card gamer since the age of 12, mostly focusing on magic the gathering. I had travelled to countries like the US, Europe, Japan, Malaysia, Thailand and Taiwan to compete on the Pro tours, Grand Prixs and Worlds Championships.

In 2006 I was touched by the poker spell and could never unturn myself since then, I bought my 1st poker book "Ken Warren Teachs Hold Em" on my trip in california playing on the Pro Tour LA, read it and thought I was ready to make some nice $$ but like all new fishes, I instead busted $50 at Pokerstars, then another $50 at Partypoker and well history often repeats itself which I busted for my 3rd and last time another $50 at NoblePoker.

After which I swore to learn and master the game, picked up harrington on holdem and focused on tournaments at pokerstars. I started winning gradually, I kept reading more and more books, played even more to improve on my game while slowly moving up from $1.20 SNGs all the way till $25+2 turbos and then to MTTs and finally to the cash games.

Spending most of 2007 playing poker seriously while having a full time job, I made more then enough money to go for my 3 year full time degree and living expenses. So I left my job and started life as a student beginning of 2008 while continuing poker as an lucrative hobby.

If you wish to know more about me,
An interview of me with pokerdice could be found at http://www.singaporedice.com/Felix.Hotseat.php

More about Poker and my daily life could by read from my blog at http://www.felixleong.blogspot.com

I would like to thank chris for giving me this section of my own, so feel free to ask me anything, be it poker, life as a poker player, relationships or anything interesting just shoot it at me and I'll give you my best return in answering you ^_^

If I gave you a penny,
You gain the penny and I lose a penny,
But If I gave you an idea,
We both get to keep it.

Felix Leong
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Re: Welcome to My World ^_^

Postby DM101 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:27 pm

Yo Felix, hope you have a HOT chick trolling your cozy corner soon. :twisted:
DM101
Site Admin

Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby friskygambit » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:29 pm

Hey Felix,

I used to play Magic: The Gathering as well during my younger days. I remember sitting outside Bishan MRT buying/selling cards, overcharging noobs, and playing with friends on the floor while dressed in school uniform. Brings back some fun memories! Though I was an avid player, I did not take part in competitions etc. Now I am a serious poker player, concentrating on live cash games in London where I currently live. Nice to "meet" you and hope to learn/share more from you.
friskygambit
New Fish

Postby felixleong » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:52 pm

hi hi friskygambit,

Really nice to meet you, I miss those fun and playful days in bishan when I was a xiao di di.
I guess we have all outgrown magic: the gathering but the skill and experience learnt are easily transferable to the poker tables yeah~

Feel free to post any difficult hands here and we will try our best to discuses and help you out or maybe share some of your thoughts and views on poker in singapore

^_^
felixleong
Great White Shark

Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby ohboy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:07 pm

i used to play magic the gathering too.

I must say i looked down on the people who generally hung out at J8. They were always looking to rip off some kid. It was so disgusting. I remember someone tried selling me counterspell for 12 bucks. I almost threw his file in the bin.

Then I went back in my army days and it was even more ridiculous. There were CARTELS who drove up the price of some cards delibrately. I forgot the hot card, but the price inflated almost 5 times over 2 weeks. A trip to J8 solved the mystery. This bunch of assholes showed me a whole BOX of that card. What, cornering the market to rip off students? Yeah, real smooth.
ohboy
Shark

Postby DM101 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:39 pm

ohboy wrote:i used to play magic the gathering too.

I must say i looked down on the people who generally hung out at J8. They were always looking to rip off some kid. It was so disgusting. I remember someone tried selling me counterspell for 12 bucks. I almost threw his file in the bin.

Then I went back in my army days and it was even more ridiculous. There were CARTELS who drove up the price of some cards delibrately. I forgot the hot card, but the price inflated almost 5 times over 2 weeks. A trip to J8 solved the mystery. This bunch of assholes showed me a whole BOX of that card. What, cornering the market to rip off students? Yeah, real smooth.

Haha is that your file Felix? :D
Chill it ohboy. :mrgreen:
DM101
Site Admin

Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby felixleong » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:54 am

hahaha I was never a trader,in the past I purly play for fun at bishan once in a while but usually to test my decks for upcoming tournaments or end up go there chit chat with friends nia. There are also regular booster drafts on friday nights and weekends which were good extra pocket $$ at those time hehehe.

To me, most traders are pretty evil but that's how it goes in real world business too, the fittest survives! They gang-up, cheat, psycho, mind fuck whatever you call it just to buy cards at a cheaper price or sell for a much higher price just to make that extra profit! Most may despites them but they are actually really putting in effort to do maximise their income wahahhaa.

Anyway I just draw a line with them, I normally do not own any or much physical cards cause the trading process is quite tedious I prefer engaging a sponsor or just simply borrow from friend while in return splitting part of my winnings.

MTG can be one of the most entertaining and intellectual hobby to have ^_^
felixleong
Great White Shark

Postby felixleong » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:01 am

how can I put this post as the front post of my section?
felixleong
Great White Shark

Postby mrpossum » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:20 am

Hey felix how do you play premium hands at early stages of the tournament when blinds are
so small and you will face loose callers ?
mrpossum
Challenge Poker Player

Postby felixleong » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:40 pm

At Low Stakes, QQ-AA I try to get all the money in preflop if possible against those loose donkeys.
If the fish limps I would like to make big raises like 5-6 times the big blind and at times even larger as in early stage they seem to thing its cheap and call anyway.
If the fish open raises then I would re-raise 3-4 times and definitely committing postflop if I have an Overpair.

But if was me open raising and 1-3 loose callers then the stacks are really deep and would depend a lot on the board texture. I often would exercise a lot of pot control and keep the pot small if unimproved, a single pair is usually not a hand that I would wanna commit all my chips in when the stack pot ratio is high.
felixleong
Great White Shark

Postby mrpossum » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:34 pm

Thanks for giving such detailed explaination/advice.
What if in a scenario when you lead out with the stacks at 1500 ?
How do you suggest playing the flop since loose donkeys might have just hit double pair ?
mrpossum
Challenge Poker Player

Postby felixleong » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:14 pm

Well donkeys play all sorts of hands and they sometimes hit top pair and give all the chips against your overpair
Sometimes they get lucky and hit 2 pair its ok.

With a stack of 1500 and blinds say 10/20 I will often open raise 4 to 5x big blind which is 80 or 100, if he calls then the pot becomes somewhere between 200-250 as the we see the flop, while our stacks each are about 1400 left.
That's a stack pot ratio of 7, with a SPR of 7 and below I will almost never fold my QQ-AA overpair against a fishy/looseygoosey player
I would often just continue my action with 3/4 to pot size bets on the flop and turn hoping to get all my $$ in as soon as possible.

If the stacks are deeper, say 3000 chips and we enter the flop with high SPR, say 12 or above.
I would tend to play it conservative it I do not improve with the board. Checking either the flop or turn to keep the streets shorten and go to the showdown quickly while keep the pot small.
felixleong
Great White Shark

Postby mrpossum » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:59 pm

Do you ever slow play hands ?
Like flopping a set or straight and stuff.
What should we consider before slow playing a hand ?
mrpossum
Challenge Poker Player

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby felixleong » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:00 am

Generally against loose and unobservant players, there is usually no need to mix up your plays any/much at all.
Therefore most of the time I would wanna play my strong hands fast to quickly get both me and my opponent's stack into the middle as soon as possible or at least by the end of the river.

But there are situation that we MUST slow play, usually is when we hit the flop to the max.
Example you hold AK and raised preflop, you face 1 or 2 loose callers.
The flop comes AAK, because you have "suck" the entire board its so hard for your opponent to have a big hand to put their stack against your nuts.
Therefore in such situations our objective will more likely to be aiming to win an extra bet or 2. Checking the flop and/or turn to show weakness and letting them catch up a bit will increase the probabilities of our moderate river bet to be called.
felixleong
Great White Shark

Next

Return to Felix's Corner