Welcome to My World ^_^

Once a competitive card gamer who has tasted success online, Felix divides his time between investing and playing poker. A journeyman who always has time for kakis

Re: Welcome to My World ^_^

Postby mrpossum » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:27 pm

So even like flopping a set you still play aggressively ?
mrpossum
Challenge Poker Player

Postby felixleong » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:13 am

for small and mid sets yeah
say you have 22, boards like AJ2 KQ2 you are hoping someone over commits against you with top or 2 pair
on small flops like 452 234 you wanna play it fast if he holds overpairs like 77-JJ since cards like an Ace can fall and cool down all your action

But top set is a different story, example you have AA and hit a flop of
AJ8 A78, its hard for your opponent to have a hand to play for his entire stack against you (unlike bottom or mid set which is rare)
So maybe you would wanna check a street and let him catch up a bit
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby mrpossum » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:49 pm

Oh ya another question.
How do you adapt from playing cash games to SnG. ?
mrpossum
Challenge Poker Player

Postby felixleong » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:54 pm

Well, to me hor... SNG and Cash were 2 different beast.

SNG was more like hardcore multi table farming, running 12-15 tables in cascade trying to make quick push/fold decisions that are +EV. Grinding small profits of like 5-15% ROI per table each and then multiplying the profit by playing as many tables as possible.

Moving to cash games was like my greatest challenge then, at first I took my tournament skills to the deep stack cash games and got owned pretty much. I drop a few buy-ins before going back to tournaments to grind back the funds to try again. It took my quite something to realize my mistakes of overvaluing TPTPK and overpair hands in cash games.

In SNGs where the stacks are often so short in relation to blinds, I always auto commit with TPTK or strong OP like JJ+, but in cash game with the stacks so deep I learnt that its more of a game of setting up big hands against a strong but weaker hand so as to win my opponent's stack. Learning when to fold my QQ-AA postflop against obvious sets became one of the foundations then saved me plenty of $$ on the tables hehe
felixleong
Great White Shark

Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby mrpossum » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:06 pm

So basically the approach for SnG's are like just ABC poker ?
Like if you have something go all out if you don't just fold ?
Is there a different approach for tourney in comparison to SnG's too ?
mrpossum
Challenge Poker Player

Postby felixleong » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:35 pm

SNG generally most grinders play turbos which are 5 min where the blinds escalates so fast, the M value drops pretty quick and we often find ourselfs short stack pretty fast too.The generally strategy of SNG for most grinders is to play a very tight early and mid game as we gain value with each opponent busting out, which pushes us closer to the top 3 money finish.

So when the bubble arrives (last 4 players left), you can either play to survive(tighten up) or play for growth (steal more). Towards late game is mostly push/fold because of the short stacks and heavy blinds.

MTTs is pretty much different as you can take many different approaches from the beginning conservative/tight to survive into the money, risky/loose to try to build a big stack in the early stage and bully the tables later on with your big stack( or maybe bust out early and rest haha) or some kinda hybrid type of strategies.

It also depends on the format of the tournament, flat structure, winner take all, satellite seats etc all affect your general strategy drastically.
felixleong
Great White Shark

Postby mrpossum » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:38 pm

How bout MTT 2.20 1500 blinds 5min/lvl and another where its 15min/lvl ?
The approach for MTT's is either to survive into the money but finish small or aggro but finish big or bust out early ?
mrpossum
Challenge Poker Player

Postby felixleong » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:10 pm

It depends on your cup of tea, but its easier to play a solid TAG style then a hyper aggressive loose style.
But at low stakes tournaments below $20 buy-in playing tight aggressive is probably right with so many other loose fishes around, then maybe you would wanna loosen up your game to play for the win during late stage ^_^
felixleong
Great White Shark

Postby mrpossum » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:13 pm

Haha okay thanks.
By the way how much do you suggest having before like moving up from 1 stake to another ?
E.g. 1c/2c to 2c/5c or maybe like 50c/1d to 1d/2d ?
mrpossum
Challenge Poker Player

Postby felixleong » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:22 pm

well for my style I go really slow and pretty conservative for my bankroll management, I would recommend having at least 40 buy-ins of your next level to move up to.
You will also have to have shown long term success at your current stakes of over 100-200k hand samples before considering moving up.
felixleong
Great White Shark

Postby mrpossum » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:39 pm

40 buy ins of max buy in ?
By the way until now i still don't get it why shouldn't we play short stack poker ?
Like what are the bad points of it.
By the way for micro stakes long term sucess is needed too ?
mrpossum
Challenge Poker Player

Postby ohboy » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:29 pm

correct short stack play is virtually unexploitable - which is why it has such a bad name. ppl can't stand the fact it has few weaknesses

bad point? it's only slightly +ev, but very high variance.
ohboy
Shark

Postby mrpossum » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:43 pm

But with regards to the emotional bankroll article i read , it kinda makes sense to play short stack too.
mrpossum
Challenge Poker Player

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby felixleong » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:33 pm

Short stack strategy is relatively straight forward, I used to play a bit of it. Something like as follows
Buy-in for 20BB, only play top 5% of hands, which is 99+AQ+. Facing 3bb or 4bb raise, shove 20bb all in, if 1st to open bet 4bb, if face caller, shove flop unless very bad texture.

What do you note comparing this strategy to deep stack strategy?

Obviously the above short stack strategy is amazingly simple, even a 12 year old can play it. And yes you can make a small winrate playing this style against a table of loose fishes but how much skill do you really put in?

But deep stack hold em is the gem of gambling, when you have 100bb you have to make decisions on all streets, preflop, flop, turn and river. Each decision point we will be making good plays (+Ev) and hopefully opponent makes bad plays (+EV for us). Therefore playing deep stack the superior/more skillful player will except to have a higher EV as compared to a less skillful player.

If you are weak and have poor foundations, short stack poker is a good place to build up your discipline/patience. But if you wanna be a big time winner some day, deep stack poker is the only way ^_^
felixleong
Great White Shark

PreviousNext

Return to Felix's Corner