RCOOP - Is this pathetic or insulting?

Discuss the hottest news in the Asian poker landscape

RCOOP - Is this pathetic or insulting?

Postby bluestallion » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:12 pm

PokerStars just announced a new tournament series called RCOOP based on regions. So, you can play with people in your region and timezone. Wow, sounds exciting until I saw the prize guarantee :shock: :x ... The guarantee for Main Event of the Asia Pacific RCOOP is a mere US$50k with a buy in of US$215...sianz.

Details of the series can be viewed http://www.pokerstars.com/rcoop/.

I wrote to PS to bitch but got a standard corporate reply as expected :roll:

Will you play in this series for that kind of guarantee?
bluestallion
ABC Poker Player

Re: RCOOP - Is this pathetic or insulting?

Postby DM101 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:19 pm

bluestallion wrote:PokerStars just announced a new tournament series called RCOOP based on regions. So, you can play with people in your region and timezone. Wow, sounds exciting until I saw the prize guarantee :shock: :x ... The guarantee for Main Event of the Asia Pacific RCOOP is a mere US$50k with a buy in of US$215...sianz.

Details of the series can be viewed http://www.pokerstars.com/rcoop/.

I wrote to PS to bitch but got a standard corporate reply as expected :roll:

Will you play in this series for that kind of guarantee?

PS probably thinks that the Asian market is still new, unlike America & the Europe countries which are saturated with poker players. I believe in time to come, the GTD prize pool gotta be more attractive.

Just my 2cts.
DM101
Site Admin

Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby chenghao » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:47 pm

you can always play a satellite . while the $$ GTD is by far the smallest among the region , its a start as the big tournaments had always been at lousy timings for us , like 3.30am for sunday 1/4 mil ? at least the timings now are now regional
chenghao
Great White Shark

Medals: 3

Postby chenghao » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:48 pm

its neither pathetic nor insulting , its a start
chenghao
Great White Shark

Medals: 3

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby DM101 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:59 pm

chenghao wrote:its neither pathetic nor insulting , its a start

Yeah, it's just the beginning..................
DM101
Site Admin

Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)

Postby MJFX » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:13 pm

oh please, i don't think its an insult.

ask yourself theses qns, how many do you think will play in this main event.
im sure PS has done their research based on the asia pac attendance on similar buy in like sunday million,
and adjust up as its asia timezone.

at the end of the day, the number should't be too far off from the breakeven 250.
of cos i hope we have a bigger crowd and it means bigger prize money.
having said that, look at the some of the macau and appt sats, some tourneys are even overlay....

lets prove PS wrong by playing, at the end of the day guaranteed amt doesn't matter right.
if more players means bigger prize money.

unless you are looking for overlay tourneys, then im not sure whether thats an insult to PS on a different note.
my point = guaranteed prize pool doesnt matter and we dont out level ourselves in these spots... =))
Last edited by MJFX on Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
MJFX
Great White Shark

Medals: 8
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) 3rd Place in a poker tourny (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1) Helpful Kaki (2)

Postby Afternoon » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:00 am

We are still in an infant stage .... give us some time.
Afternoon
Great White Shark

Medals: 12
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) Crowned a poker tournament (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1) Poker Face (1) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1)
Helpful Kaki (2) Good Buyer / Shopper (1)

Postby bluestallion » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:38 am

wah...seems like got many supporters for RCOOP liao... :)

I agree and acknowledged that it is a good start for the Asian market which is still small and growing, thus the small guarantee.

However, in order to attract the crowd and grow the Asian market, a bigger prize reward is essential.

Would you rather play for an US$200k or an US$50k guarantee? I guess it is obvious.

The Macau tourneys are usually live events and online tourneys normally are satties for the live events, hence the low participation.

Since RCOOP is an online tourney, we should expect a higher participation which I believe if the guarantee/structure is juicy enough it would attract the required number of players.

I've played the FREEROLLS for APPT Macau which easily attracted >700 players within our region. So, I don't think our market is that small anymore. We just need the right reward and motivation to create the mass turnout.

And...FYI, look at the number of countries under the Asia Pacific RCOOP:

Australia, China, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Taiwan, Vietnam, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Indonesia, India, Iran, Afghanistan, Cambodia, New Caledonia, Oman, Malaysia, Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea, Kuwait, Bangladesh, Guam, Peoples Democratic Republic of Lao, Sri Lanka, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Macau, Northern Mariana Islands, Nepal, Pakistan & East Timor

Do you think we will have less than 250 players if the guarantee is big enough? Come on, we have a lot of players from Australia, Philippines, Singapore, China and the whole nine yards man.

I guess we just need to make more noise for PS to take notice :lol:

We should strike for a BIGGER GUARANTEE! :lol: :D
bluestallion
ABC Poker Player

Postby axel » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:02 am

Just stay awake and play the Sunday Million if you want to play a MTT with a huge guarantee prize pool.
axel
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 2
Good Seller (2)

Postby Brasstal » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:36 am

i rather play a big guarantee but when I choose between 4am bigger guarantee and something that my schedule allows? I guess each has its markets.

Look at the sunday millions, do u think event 10 singaporeans play?

sadly altho 700 players play freerolls thats what they are - freerolls

i seldom or never see Singaporean/Asians playing. Just look at the Pacific Rim Special its aimed at Asia/Pacific. Do you see asians? Maybe 5% of the field. 95% are Australians/Americans/etc. Its sad.

I guess this is a great start the RCOOP to get pple off their asses to play and depart with $20 for a tournament. And its not an insult, we do not have the smallest guarantees, there is I think another region that has smaller then us. =D

Just like the Red Dragon in Macau, it started with 15 players, 25 players. Now its 300++++ players and growing. Its a start bluestallion so lets all show it support and in fact its good its so cheap, more chances to win the thing and take the prestige that comes along with it!
Brasstal
Team PokerStar Asia

Medals: 11
Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (2) APPT Participant (1) RPT Participant (1) FPT Participant (1) WSOP Participant (1) Crowned a poker tournament (1) 3rd Place in a poker tourny (1) Helpful Kaki (1)
Good Seller (1)

Postby bluestallion » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:46 am

So, let's spread the word around to drum up support for the event :D

Bryan, is there any Player of the Series rewards like package to APPT Sydney/PCA, Champion's trophy, etc similar to WCOOP Leader Board?

That would be something to look forward to besides the moolah.
bluestallion
ABC Poker Player

Postby QueensCutie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:00 pm

http://www.pokerstars.com/rcoop wrote:There are events to suit everyone

ROFLMAO! Eleven events, seven and a half are NL Holdem! Now that's insulting! I don't care about the guarantees, hardly anyone plays because of the guarantee (unless there is a huuuuuge overlay). Like already said, if they get thousands of players, the prize pool will be big anyway. And there are actually lots of Australians on Stars.

Secondly, i think they should run this during WCOOP.
QueensCutie
New Fish

Return to Asian Poker News