What Would You Do? On the Bubble

Mike aka suitedpairs29 is a very skillful both ONLINE & LIVE poker player. He is sharing his poker experience with the folks here.

What Would You Do? On the Bubble

Postby suitedpairs29 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:34 am

Scenario:

Its the money bubble of a big online tourney. You have been hard at work all tourney long and have accumulated a huge chip stack. But the poker gods have a sick sense of humor when your top set gets cracked by runner runner quads by a player in 2nd chip position. You now have around 10BB and may not even make the money. Whats worse is that you have just been moved to a new table and have no notes/reads on any of the players. Its 2 persons to the money and you sit patiently for a good hand to steal the blinds or even double up. After much anticipation, you see pocket tens and in the hi jack (button -2). Seeing that the blinds have middle stacks and wont get involved unless they have a big hand, you are already prepared to push and stay and alive. All is well when all of a sudden a middle position player with 13BB raises it to 3xBB, leaving him with 10BB. Folded to you. Questions is ...

What Would You Do?
suitedpairs29
Challenge Poker Player

Re: What Would You Do? On the Bubble

Postby vaevictis » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:57 pm

It depends on what is your goal of playing tournaments. Making the money? or cashing out big, taking top few places ?

At that stage of the tournament, witth 10 BB, I'd guess your M value will be very low, around 2-5. You would not last that long with the antes and blinds cropping up. Yes you can creep into the money by not playing any hands, but I bet the payout is almost minimal because your stack has dwindled down so much and you'd most probably get knocked out soon.

For me, with that low M value, having pocket 1010s and at the bubble, I'll prolly open shove it. My strategy is simple, I either make it big or dont make it at all, besides god knows what kind of hands you may get if you folded it. I can assure to most of you that if u make it into the money just barely and get knocked out soon after that, your ROI is almost insignificant to negligible. Secondly, unless you have a dead read of the original raiser, maybe he is a 10% PF / 1% PF raise over 1000 hands stats kind of guy and you are very sure he has your 1010s beat (higher pocket pair, not AK), then by all means fold it. Yet i'll tend to push mostly, because I play tournaments to win. One big win is all you need, just barely making the money will not be good enough.
vaevictis
Challenge Poker Player

Postby DM101 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:43 pm

I wanna play winning Poker so I will defintely ALL IN
It's disappointing at times but that's poker. Check out the link below the number of times that I've busted out before ITM(In the money).

http://www.officialpokerrankings.com/po ... 5.html?t=2
DM101
Site Admin

Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby ohboy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:01 pm

i dunno.

i would call and shove on the flop irregardless.

10pair is a pretty reasonable hand to go all in heads up. Plus if an ace hits the flop and all he has is a slight overpair, you'll prob bluff him out of the pot right there. If he does manage to pair one of his live overcards, you would have lost your stack anyway if you pushed pre-flop.

Of course, if he decides to push all in first postflop, you're out of luck.
ohboy
Shark

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Return to Mike's Corner