Ranking of Poker Sites...

Anything poker-related, and which doesn't fit into other forum categories

Ranking of Poker Sites...

Postby Lo0o0o0n » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:00 pm

Hey all...

I was chatting wif ah bin the other day..and I was whining about my recent bad luck...but anyway he asked me why do I play at PokerStars as that is apparently the site with the highest level of players. well i just said that i am just too used to the interface and all the procedures...but i probably should open up to other sites soon....

So anyway...How would you rank the various poker sites based on difficulty level (a.k.a. ratio of pros to fishes)???...ive only played at PokerStars so i have no say in this...but those experienced players out there who have played at various sites...giv us your views....

thanks in advance to those who posted...this will really help me and, im sure, many others understand the different levels of all the sites out there....

Peace!

Alex Loon
Lo0o0o0n
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 7
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (2) Macau Cup Participant (2) APPT Participant (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Re: Ranking of Poker Sites...

Postby vaevictis » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:14 pm

at small stakes you can always table select (cash game) or at SNGs/tourneys there are always good fish/good players ratio even at major sites.

It's also true that at smaller sites, there will be a smaller pool of regulars and perhaps a larger pool of fishes, especially sites affliated with pokerkaki. Most of them are softer than major sites.

Having a bankroll across several sites is also good too, as you can site select + table select.

If you consider yourself to be a winner at the stakes, then obviously the best site that offer u the best loyalty programmes should be your main site to play in.
vaevictis
Challenge Poker Player

Postby felixleong » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:19 pm

Before understanding the toughnest of a site, I personally feel that one should understand he/her objective in poker.
Are you here to grind out all the hours to make the most $$?
or are you playing for fun and entertainment?
or maybe you want to make a profit and along the way learn more while climbing up the poker ladder?

When looking at a poker site, I try to see the bigger the picture the better for me instead
I've only tried a few sites so I'm sorry I can't comment on the softness of other sites.

But in my view pokerstars is great for me in many ways as follows

Biggest site, meaning the most traffic, I wouldnt find any problems 8-16 tabling any small-mid stakes
Every site will diffinately have fishes, on pokerstars one probably has to table select more due to more regulars
The current software for pokerstars is the industry leader
Security, top notch~! If you have over 5 or many 10k bankroll, you probably wouldnt even feel safe putting that in a random small network pokersite
Pokerstars, most people have no problems resting 5-7 figures bankroll on their site
Customer support, also best in the industry, expect to get emails replied from 30 mins , max 2 hours probably
Supernova, nova elite program
Promotions like battle of planets, double vpp days, APPT freerolls etc

any many many other small stuff that makes pokerstar the best site.
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby ayasak » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:17 pm

erm...saw Ah_bin's post saying we should post more...so here we go.

Since most of us dont play alot of sites, I guess a little input on any site should be good. We might even archive it for the benefit of new members.

i've started on Bodog and always wanted to move away from it due to its glitchy software. BUT after looking up on info about the other sites, I've kinda realised that Bodog is a very good site for any <50NL cash players + a occasional tourney players, thats provided you can tahan the glitchy and slow-to-update software. The hand history dont work well too.

Firstly, when you play micro stakes <50NL, how much rake is taken greatly affects your winrate if u're a breakeven or losing player (like me). Although Bodog doesnt offer rakeback, it takes the lowest rake in micro stakes <50NL. For >50Nl, there aint much diff in rake on most sites. Can read the thread below if you wanna know how the rake differs at stakes up to 50NL. Bodog is also said to be one of the softest site, kinda true for micro stakes.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showt ... hp?t=95839

Second, many of Bodog's guaranteed prize pool tournaments almost always has an overlay. Even for their they're big Sunday tourney, i think there is an overlay almost every week. The field is also rather small compared to PS, FT tourneys.

Finally, if you're a SNG player, please dont bother. It takes ages for the SNGs to be filled up. I ever waited more than 20min for a $2.20 beginner 10-man SNG, gave up and unregistered it.

Tech support responds time is good. You can usually expect a reply in 3-4hrs.
Cashing out is very fast too. The time i got my money from Bodog to Neteller was ~6-8hrs.
There aint much promotions on Bodog.
You'll need additional software like Bodog HandGrabber for PokerTracker ; cant use a HUD as well.
ayasak
Challenge Poker Player

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby asiangravy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:09 am

The site with the overall highest standard of play has to be pokerstars followed by fulltilt. I agree with felix that pokerstars has the best support system and stuff. But I still think it is -EV for the guys who are just starting out, to be playing on the bigger sites. Maybe if you're a SNG player, you would need to choose a site with at least a decent SNG traffic. But for cash players, I think it is still more +EV to be playing on the smaller sites. Take for instance, all of the poker players here in thailand that I 've met. All of them are cash games players but not a single one of them ply their trade on fulltilt or pokerstars. Their explaination being that competition is so tough at those sites. a 2/4 game on the big two is sort of like a 3/4 or 5/10 game on a smaller site. Also at the smaller sites they are considered valued players and often given insane deals by these sites to continue to ply their trade on the smaller sites. Structural wise, I think the bigger sites are still more user friendly as they have been in the market presumably for a longer time. But at the end of the day, its still up to the player himself/herself to decide the sites which he/she prefers more.
asiangravy
Shark

Medals: 2
Long Jie Participant (1) APPT Participant (1)

Postby Lo0o0o0n » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:52 pm

Thanks for all the insights guy...really inetersting....

anyway...i totally agree wif felix and ah bin...i think...moz imptly...is what u wan....wat are ur priorities....

as for me...i think i put security and user friendliness above the actual win rate....so i dont mind my ROI drop by like 2 or 3 % if i get efficient and secure services from the site im using...

of course....me starting out at pokerstars was tough.....i was really a losing player....so probably for beginners to start out at stars or FT will be tough....

aiyah ultimately...u play until happy can already....haaa

Alex Loon
Lo0o0o0n
Challenge Poker Player

Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (2) Macau Cup Participant (2) APPT Participant (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby vaevictis » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:51 pm

"security and user friendliness above actual win rate"...hmmmm

User friendliness is kind of overated. Every site has similar buttons to click, bet, fold, check etc etc. Yes some layouts of sites are pretty bad, but just search around for AHK scripts used for different networks and your problem with the layout is pretty much solved.

I'll take win-rate anytime man, once you start playing in a site which you can crush, the competition is softer and you are winning more per unit time, I don't see any reason for you to hop to another major site which has tougher players, unless your reason is to improve your game and own those regulars (which is kind of a stupid reason to do so at smallstakes, or even at any stakes). So far there has never been a major security breach in any small network sites, the only ones are those affliated with super-user accounts (interestingly they are major sites like AP and UB), and even so, its not like your money is locked or laundered away for any reason unless you are negligent yourself. I just cant help but to emphasize game selection/table selection/site selection, like what ahbin has said. Its all about EV in the end.

But oh well if anyone choses to play poker just to have fun and maybe not to win as much, then obviously your priorities should dictate what sites you choose.
vaevictis
Challenge Poker Player

Postby Lo0o0o0n » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:44 am

hrmmz....i really dont know what my priorities are...I just assumed that since I have stayed at PS and not ventured out into the other sites and knowing that PS has a high standard of players...I probably put my comfort level in playing at PS above everything else...maybe i have not realised the "joy" of owning fishes like crazy and having a crazy win rate...haaaa

Now tt i think of it...and that u mentioned it...it IS kinda stupid to not put winrate as top priority...hrmmmz....maybe i gotta rethink some things over...haaa...

Alex Loon
Lo0o0o0n
Challenge Poker Player

Postby felixleong » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:10 am

I think maybe if you are making a decent profit at the stakes you are playing on your current site, then things should be considered fine and not really a strong need to move.
But things are not so then maybe one can consider either moving down or switching site etc

And yeah~ winrate matters so much!
poker could be fun, but winning lots of money and spending that money probably is more fun hehehe
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Return to General Poker Chat