Bankroll

Once a competitive card gamer who has tasted success online, Felix divides his time between investing and playing poker. A journeyman who always has time for kakis

Bankroll

Postby jmkuah » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:42 pm

Stupid felix made me come all the way to kaki just to ask him a question regarding bankroll lol. How that I am here can tell me how to grow my 1.4k bankroll on pokerstars? :lol:
jmkuah
New Fish

Re: Bankroll

Postby ohboy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:27 pm

withdraw it and put in bank=)
ohboy
Shark

Postby felixleong » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:43 pm

hihi ~ first of all I'll probably need more information on you before I can recommend a more balanced path for you to grow your bankroll.
May I know the following?

What stakes are you currently playing?
whats your current comfort zone? (amount of $$ that you can lose and not bother much about it)
Do you use softwares like PT/HUD? If so whats your PTTB winrate?
How long have you been playing poker?
Which area do you intend to focus on? MTTs, SNGs , fullring cash or 6-max cash?

In my view, Bankroll Mangement is a very critical skill that all serious poker players must understand and practise carefully.
In planning the stakes on play in depends actually on more factors then the above, and planning on the amount of money to play at the target stakes depends on factors like the following~

Game type - 6-max cash players usually needs bigger BR then full-ring of same stakes, since the VPIP rate is higher, more pots and wider range of hands
Number of tables - heavy multi tabling like 8-16 requires much much bigger BR
Quality of players - facing strong oppositons the edge is less, accounting for higher variance therefore needing stronger BR
Playing style - a LAG style has higher varience then a TAG therefore needing bigger BR
Prone to tilt/steaming - the lower the discipline level of the person, the higher risk of ruin

On a general term, most pros advise new players to have at least 20 buy-ins when playing full ring and probably 30 buy-ins for 6-max a low stakes
For me, I playing 6-max, a higher varience LAG style and a site filled with strong ratio of regulars(pokerstars), 4 -tabling
So I currently use a 50 buy-in approach for 100NL, its totals a 5k bankroll which is more towards a very conservative style of BRM but even doing so does'nt garantee 0% risk of ruin. Any amount of $$ we set aside in poker, we must be prepared for the risk of losing it all ^_^

Some books that has good section on bankroll management are

The Psychology of POker
THe Poker Mindset

I hope this helps hehehe
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby jmkuah » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:15 pm

Hey I am steamtruck from your blog. Anyways planning on going for the 6max cash games at NL25 then slowly moving up to NL50 and hopefully heads-up because thats where i really wanna play, but of course if I am getting donked out at NL25 it will be a long journey. My style is general laggy and can play generally well but sometimes when i tilt (which i usually do whenever i lose with a good hand or a big pot) i usually overaggro and bomb out. Currently still working on my game by reading up etc.
jmkuah
New Fish

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby felixleong » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:40 pm

Yeah, I think its fine for you to start from 25NL, maybe 40-50 buy-ins would be great. There's not harm having a bigger bankroll right? hehe
Just slowly work on improving your game and if possible make some profit, hopefully you can use some of your winnings to get pokertracker and acehud, I feel its quite important to have these 2 softwares if you plan on playing poker seriously.

Once you have a bankroll of at least 30 buy-in of the next level and a decent winrate over a significant sample, maybe like over 3 PTBB/100 over 50k hands then you could consider going up a notch.

good luck on the tables ^_^
felixleong
Great White Shark

Medals: 4
Long Jie Participant (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Return to Felix's Corner