What to do?

Discuss the basics, psychology, probability, table selection etc.

What to do?

Postby MaTaKazer » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:34 am

PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3: http://www.pokertracker.com

SB: $1.74
BB: $7.81
UTG: $2.55
Hero (MP): $6.80
CO: $5.53
BTN: $5.11

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero has [Kc] [Kh]

fold, Hero raises to $0.18, CO calls $0.18, fold, fold, fold

Flop: ($0.43, 2 players) [Js] [6c] [Jd]
Hero bets $0.30, CO raises to $0.65, Hero raises to $1.50, CO raises to $5.35 and is all-in, Hero ??

Would be drawing very slim if he had a hand. Figure that hands which I am ahead of wouldn't 4bet shove on such board? QQ+ would have 3bet PF.

It is profitable in the long run to call the shove in such situations?
MaTaKazer
ABC Poker Player

Re: What to do?

Postby J-ustin-lee » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:58 pm

he could have AA slow playing it cause his in position or 66 trying to hit a hit preflop, but the way he played, all i can say is your behind, i would have fold here. QQ most likely to 3-bet you preflop..

if he have a J i think most players will call and try to get the most out of you.
To be able to Reraise after you 3-bet him on flop your most likely behind. *the shove looks like he got AA* (I could be wrong here)
I'll fold this hand. you can get your money in a better spot.

The only hand your ahead of is 6x.
J-ustin-lee
Challenge Poker Player

Postby chenghao » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:44 pm

do you have any reads on this villian ?

preflop looks routine , his range would be pretty wide if the analysis was done in vacuum.

on the dry JJ6r flop , when i cbet and get raised ,i would ask .' why is he min raising me ?' By flatting and check calling here , it would benefit you in 2 ways i guess .

1st it would allow a wider range of his to get in , cos if you 3bet here , only the JX , 66s full type of hands would give you action ( assuming villian isn't some aggro monkey)

2nd it would answer a few questions on the villian should you play against him again , 1) does he cold call preflop only to fit or fold if the flop doesn't give him at least a certain rank of hand ? 2) when he min raise on the flop , is it for value or is it to test your strength ? If its for value , then draw if the price is right , if its a test of strength , then show him your strength.
chenghao
Great White Shark

Medals: 3
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby MaTaKazer » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:03 pm

Villian has VPIP of 46%, didn't notice anything unusual about him.

So 3betting him on the flop is bad? I wanted to find out where I stands and at the same thing show some strength as maybe he though I cbetted with air .
MaTaKazer
ABC Poker Player

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby chenghao » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:44 pm

MaTaKazer wrote:Villian has VPIP of 46%, didn't notice anything unusual about him.

So 3betting him on the flop is bad? I wanted to find out where I stands and at the same thing show some strength as maybe he though I cbetted with air .

ok say his 46% pf range is = 44+,A2s+,K2s+,Q3s+,J5s+,T6s+,96s+,86s+,76s,A2o+,K5o+,Q8o+,J8o+,T8o+,98o from poker stove

Flop its JJ6

so lets group the hands to 3 categories

Useless hands (missed completely)
(the rest of the hands)

Medium strength 2 pairs . Anywhere from 22 - AA ( non J or 6 )
44+ , 6X s/o

strong hand 3 of a kind or full house (Jx , 6s full)

by check calling , you could induce the useless hands to continue bluffing
so they have the thrill of bluffing while you have the thrill of taking their chips

you would pot control against both the medium strength and the strong hands

if you raise , only the foolish medium hands as well as the strong hands would give you action
chenghao
Great White Shark

Postby MaTaKazer » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:05 pm

I was thinking that he might think that I was making a move on such a dry board, so decided to reraise to show him my strength. Didn't expect him to come over the top! I guess I got my answer.

This brings another question, lets says I flatted his raise.

Check call turn and river?
MaTaKazer
ABC Poker Player

Postby chenghao » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:19 pm

MaTaKazer wrote:I was thinking that he might think that I was making a move on such a dry board, so decided to reraise to show him my strength. Didn't expect him to come over the top! I guess I got my answer.

This brings another question, lets says I flatted his raise.

Check call turn and river?

you are assuming he thinks , some don't and play their cards only

you need to identify whether his a player of people or player of cards

turn and river is really up to you , what is your strategy in marginal situations like these? hardly anything can change the turn and river ( save 6 that would put you behind even a 6x)

your overall strategy would give you your answer for what to do when u meet these turn / river marginal situations.
consider factors like stack sizes , opponent type , etc , if his short like only left with 1/3 of pot , his likely to push many more hands , calling is inevitable. If his range is as wide as 46% , calling him down is ok. If its someone whose range is like 14/11 , then its ok to fold there as his probably telling you he beats you.
Many other possible factors to think of too , like his Aggression factor / aggression frequency on the flop. his wtsd/w$SD is another factor too
raise flop is another stat to look at . but these stats only serve as a guide as usually u won't have many hands on them
chenghao
Great White Shark

Return to General Poker Strategy