Article on today's (17th April 2011) The New Paper

Anything poker-related, and which doesn't fit into other forum categories

Article on today's (17th April 2011) The New Paper

Postby melnin0 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:07 pm

As stated in title, there's an article on page 16 regarding online poker. This forum was also mentioned in the article. From reading the article, it seems as though online poker is considered 'against the law' here in Singapore. I quote the following statements from the article ".......According to the Singapore Common Gaming House Act, those convicted of playing "any game of chance or of mixed chance and skill for money or money's worth" in an unauthourized gambling site face fines of up to $5000 and six months jail." The online poker community is going through it's darkest period right now. What are your thoughts?

P.S. I'd love to scan out the article but unfortunately my printer-scanner is broken. Talk about a bad beat.
melnin0
New Fish

Re: Article on today's (17th April 2011) The New Paper

Postby thebiggame » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:01 pm

All the while its illegal to 'gamble' online in Singapore. So like PokerStars says, 'Business as usual' for me. You can do anything you want, don't get caught can liao.
thebiggame
New Fish

Postby chenghao » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:16 pm

its under the common gambling house act .. so as long as what you do don't constitute a common gambling house , there is no law for you to break
chenghao
Great White Shark

Medals: 3
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Postby ikelos » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:17 pm

i'm still not convinced its illegal. The article is largely a re-hash of a previous article that appeared in the Straits Times a while ago. Look at where the quotation marks end:

According to the Singapore Common Gaming House Act, those convicted of playing "any game of chance or of mixed chance and skill for money or money's worth" in an unauthourized gambling site face fines of up to $5000 and six months jail.

I'm not legally trained, but I've looked at the act a good many times, and i still cannot find a statement that explicitly (or interpretively) criminalises online gaming.

Here are excerpts of the Common Gaming House Act:

"common gaming house" includes any place kept or used for gaming to which the public or any class of the public has or may have access, and any place kept for habitual gaming, whether the public or any class of the public has or may have access thereto or not, and any place kept or used for the purpose of a public lottery whether the public has access thereto or not;

"place" means any house, office, room or building and any place or spot, whether open or enclosed, and includes a ship, boat or other vessel, whether afloat or not, and any vehicle;

Any person who games in a common gaming house shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $5,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both.

The Act is a fairly straightforward document. Anyone interested in the complete act can find it here: http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/non_version/cgi-bin/cgi_getdata.pl?actno=1961-REVED-49&doctitle=COMMON%20GAMING%20HOUSES%20ACT&date=latest&method=whole
ikelos
Site Admin

Medals: 8
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (2) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) Article Contributor (1) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby melnin0 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:42 am

Anyway, anybody having trouble updating their Full Tilt client?
melnin0
New Fish

Postby ikelos » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:13 am

just uninstall, and reinstall from the .co.uk
ikelos
Site Admin

Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (2) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) Article Contributor (1) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Postby melnin0 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:49 am

ok. thanks a bunch.
melnin0
New Fish

Closed

Postby XYtexas » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:22 am

Closed
Last edited by XYtexas on Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XYtexas
Challenge Poker Player

Postby ikelos » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:40 am

I've no wish to mislead anyone. If you think I'm doing so, do point out specifically how I'm being misleading, and furnish examples from the document that demonstrate online poker's illegality. I'd be happy to listen to your interpretations/explanations, and if necessary, stand corrected.

Simply saying 'it's illegal, don't mislead' without justification is wholly unconstructive,and mildly insulting.
ikelos
Site Admin

Closed

Postby XYtexas » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:52 am

Closed
Last edited by XYtexas on Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XYtexas
Challenge Poker Player

Postby ikelos » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:22 am

And i ask again, do provide me (and everyone else on the forum) with evidence of this 'fact', because it would resolve a good many ongoing debates, and settle the question definitively.
ikelos
Site Admin

Postby MJFX » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:38 am

XYtexas wrote:
ikelos wrote:I've no wish to mislead anyone. If you think I'm doing so, do point out specifically how I'm being misleading, and furnish examples from the document that demonstrate online poker's illegality. I'd be happy to listen to your interpretations/explanations, and if necessary, stand corrected.

Simply saying 'it's illegal, don't mislead' without justification is wholly unconstructive,and mildly insulting.

Its a fact. Its illegal.

You are trying to find ways to think that its not illegal.

If this is what you think, be it.

i'm a straight forward guy.
I think you are an "f***ing idiot unless u answer straight to ikelos' question.
U are making me tilt and i apologise here.
You are asked politely to justify your comments.
Unless of course you can list your so called facts, u should comment no further in this thread.
MJFX
Great White Shark

Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) 3rd Place in a poker tourny (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1) Helpful Kaki (2)

Postby MJFX » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:10 am

If u have the nuts ( facts), we seriously dont mind u are slow rolling.
But how i see it is u have the nut low on the flop, ikelos is all in.
Clock called on u, time bank is over hence hand considered muck.
U are still claiming u have the nuts and refused to return the hole cards to the dealer.
Does it make sense?
MJFX
Great White Shark

Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) 3rd Place in a poker tourny (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1) Helpful Kaki (2)

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Postby pokerace » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:54 am

Ikeos,mjfx,just ignored this type of people.This forum is for pokerlover online or live, play,discuss,share and have fun!
pokerace
Challenge Poker Player

Medals: 2
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Next

Return to General Poker Chat