Article on today's (17th April 2011) The New Paper

Anything poker-related, and which doesn't fit into other forum categories

Re: Article on today's (17th April 2011) The New Paper

Postby tcs » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:04 pm

MJFX wrote:If u have the nuts ( facts), we seriously dont mind u are slow rolling.
But how i see it is u have the nut low on the flop, ikelos is all in.
Clock called on u, time bank is over hence hand considered muck.
U are still claiming u have the nuts and refused to return the hole cards to the dealer.
Does it make sense?



i love the scenario.
lucky i dont push my chips all in.. *OOT* :hammer
User avatar
tcs
Challenge Poker Player
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: Article on today's (17th April 2011) The New Paper

Postby Afternoon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:34 pm

You say I say Bo Pak Kay,
Only can ask Pay And Pay.

我说合法就是合法,
我说不合法就是不合法,
你说合法我说不合法也就是不合法,
你说不合法我说合法就还是合法。

﹣ Sin Ka Poh Zheng Hu
Last edited by Afternoon on Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Afternoon
Great White Shark
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:28 pm
Medals: 12
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) Crowned a poker tournament (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1) Poker Face (1) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1)
Helpful Kaki (2) Good Buyer / Shopper (1)

Re: Article on today's (17th April 2011) The New Paper

Postby MJFX » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:38 pm

Insightful singapore law review article on online gambling.
http://www.singaporelawreview.org/2010/10/virtual-vice/

By Wu Wenyu


The new trend for the Tech-savvy Gamblers

Speaking of casinos, most will think of Macau, Genting, Las Vegas and of course the newly opened Integrated Resorts in Singapore. However, tech-savvy gamblers are now taking their habit online. With just a click, most people get to try their luck at online or virtual casinos. Though a really convenient way to experience the thrill of hitting the Jackpot, the legal issue of online gambling remains a grey area that most are uncertain of but continue to ignore.

The popularity of online casinos is undeniable. A simple search using Google will churn up an astonishing result number of 71,600,00! Most of the gambling platforms however are registered overseas, with the top few like betfair.com and 888.com being UK-registered. Forums, online gambling advisory websites are also set up to share information on newly registered sites, novel gambling games and trends in various countries. A few, surprisingly, are starting to give brief overviews of the law on online gambling in various countries as well.

Singapore’s Stand on Online Gambling

Singapore’s take on online gambling has never been clear-cut. Some says that the country’s legal stand on the issue is rather uncertain while some view online gambling as completely illegal in Singapore. Two acts govern gambling and betting in Singapore, namely the Betting Act and the Common Gaming House Act. These Acts provide exemptions for betting by members and officers of racing clubs or associations under the control or supervision of their officers, subjected to the notification by the Minister in the Gazette. Thus two legal operators are recognized locally – Singapore Pools and the Singapore Turf Club. But complications arise for online betting and casinos: with most of the operators being foreigners who registered their sites overseas, it is hard to determine if gambling activity by Singaporeans in their private homes will fall within the ambit of these Acts.

Furthermore, no individuals have been charged with illegal online gambling in their private homes, save for three cases in the past threes years. In those cases, the accused opened up cafes or common gaming areas with computers set up for the purpose of online gambling. It is interesting to note though, that these persons were prosecuted not simply because they gambled online or visited online casinos, but rather because they set up common and public spaces for betting, using online casinos as a means to generate profits. As such, they have committed offences under the Common Gaming House Act and were penalized accordingly.

The issue is definitely made more complicated with the recent opening of the Integrated Resorts and Casinos in Singapore. With the Casino Control Act already in force, Singaporeans will no doubt question its impact on online casinos. But the Casino Control Act mainly seeks to deal with the regulations of the Casinos established locally, and to set out the responsibility of the regulatory authority. It deals with Casino premises and licensing and does not seem to have any tangible effect on the virtual world of Casino and gambling.

Other Countries’ Stand on Online Gambling

Other countries’ stand on online gambling and casinos may just be as confusing. The US for example has the Wire Wager Act and the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act. The Wire Wager Act provides for betting or wagering using a wire communication facility. But how much this applies to Internet wagering is often questioned. The Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act on the other hand, criminalises the facilitation of transfer of money to an online gambling site by a bank or financial institution in order to restrict funding to casino accounts and sites. But again, whether jurisdiction extends to foreigners and overseas casino operators are equally unclear.

As for most countries of the European Union, online gambling is legal and regulated. Member Countries are bound by the European Communities Treaty and cannot prohibit residents from accessing a service provided by operators from other Member States. Hence prohibiting their citizens from visiting online casinos will be a breach of Treaty Law. As such many countries have started regulating online gambling instead.

Conclusion

With the opening of Casinos in Singapore, online gambling will only become more popular. After all, what better ways are there to get around the $100 Entrance fee and still gamble away? It needs to be noted however, that while the law on online gambling remains unclear, public gambling will always be an offence in Singapore. The Singapore government will only become more cautious and strict in enforcing the laws on public gambling due to the concern of the negative impacts brought about by the opening of the Casinos.
User avatar
MJFX
Great White Shark
 
Posts: 848
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:20 pm
Medals: 8
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) 3rd Place in a poker tourny (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1) Helpful Kaki (2)

Re: Article on today's (17th April 2011) The New Paper

Postby Afternoon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:44 pm

Now you don't, next you see.

Do you know how fast for a bills to pass through in Singapore ?

Is overnight, that fast.
User avatar
Afternoon
Great White Shark
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:28 pm
Medals: 12
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) Crowned a poker tournament (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1) Poker Face (1) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1)
Helpful Kaki (2) Good Buyer / Shopper (1)

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Re: Article on today's (17th April 2011) The New Paper

Postby XYtexas » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:22 pm

Closed
Last edited by XYtexas on Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XYtexas
Challenge Poker Player
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:25 pm

Re: Article on today's (17th April 2011) The New Paper

Postby ikelos » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:01 pm

guys just relax. i think we can discuss matters without resorting to mud-slinging

XYTexas: Completely understand your intentions, and i think they come from a good place. All i'm looking for is someone to establish the 'fact' that online poker is illegal. If it's a fact, it's a fact, and nothing i say can alter facts. If something is a fact, there will be incontrovertible proof, and it should be a fairly simple matter to supply it. If it is indeed true, I'd be the first person to publish the news on the Pokerkaki main page so all the kakis can be duly informed.
ikelos
Site Admin
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:04 pm
Medals: 8
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (2) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) Article Contributor (1) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Re: Article on today's (17th April 2011) The New Paper

Postby MJFX » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:04 pm

Haiz. I think u missed the point.
We understand your good intentions but that is not what we trying to get out of you.
You have to back up your points.
I just called my friend who works in CRA.
As far as singapore jurisdiction is concerned, it is still a grey area wrt internet gambling/ poker.
The govt wont say is legal but they wont say its illegal either bcos simply its not properly defined in our laws yet.
I agree with UB it doesnt take long for a legal bill to pass thru.
Clearly with elections coming, this is the least least priority.

You good intentions is not wanting the ones new to poker get in trouble with the laws.
Whats ur advice for those playing poker for some time, seems like we are already in trouble? Oh no. :o

Wow, u just insulted a few people in one go..
Clearly we are not on the same frequency, i wont go into an argument with u as i advocate murphy's laws not to argue at this spot.

P.s. I do apologise at getting personal though.
Last edited by MJFX on Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
MJFX
Great White Shark
 
Posts: 848
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:20 pm
Medals: 8
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) 3rd Place in a poker tourny (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1) Helpful Kaki (2)

Re: Article on today's (17th April 2011) The New Paper

Postby DM101 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:11 pm

Hey my fellow kakis, let's stop all these flaming.

Let's make love and not war. :D

We are all in a big family afterall.

Let's continue to discuss this matter in a more constructive way.
User avatar
DM101
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2307
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:52 am
Medals: 16
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (5) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) EPT Participant (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) 1000 posts (1) Article Contributor (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1)
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1) Good Seller (1)

Re: Article on today's (17th April 2011) The New Paper

Postby Afternoon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:51 pm

XYtexas wrote:If words are from Afternoon and Pokerace, i will understand based on their maturity but I don't expect words like this coming from you.


Kaki XYTexas,

I apologize for misleading you to have doubt in my maturity with all my jokes or messages. Actually my messages were often indirectly written and needs to be read in between the lines, of cos it requires a bit of intellecture ability to fully understand them. I'll try my best to put it as simple and direct as possible from now on.

Just an advice, when there's somebody shooting a bullet at you, please kindly take aim and point your gun at his or their direction, do not anyhow spray your shots. It would kill some innocent parties and create further unnecessary enemies.

I have tried my best and do hope this message is written with enough maturity.

Your sincerely
Afternoon aka UB
User avatar
Afternoon
Great White Shark
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:28 pm
Medals: 12
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (1) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) Crowned a poker tournament (1) 2nd Place in a poker tourny (1) Reporter - Bringer of news (1) Poker Face (1) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1)
Helpful Kaki (2) Good Buyer / Shopper (1)

Re: Article on today's (17th April 2011) The New Paper

Postby MikeTheFish » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:53 pm

As far as i know for a fact, it is not clear whether it is legal or illegal from the current laws.

but the govt has already mentioned that the gambling act will need to be updated .....
MikeTheFish
Shark
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Article on today's (17th April 2011) The New Paper

Postby tcs » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:32 pm

Afternoon wrote:
XYtexas wrote:If words are from Afternoon and Pokerace, i will understand based on their maturity but I don't expect words like this coming from you.


Kaki XYTexas,

I apologize for misleading you to have doubt in my maturity with all my jokes or messages. Actually my messages were often indirectly written and needs to be read in between the lines, of cos it requires a bit of intellecture ability to fully understand them. I'll try my best to put it as simple and direct as possible from now on.

Just an advice, when there's somebody shooting a bullet at you, please kindly take aim and point your gun at his or their direction, do not anyhow spray your shots. It would kill some innocent parties and create further unnecessary enemies.

I have tried my best and do hope this message is written with enough maturity.

Your sincerely
Afternoon aka UB



that's so true UB, i still dont get the point.. maybe because im too dumb? haha
anyways.. as our bruce lee aka support says: let's make love and make babies for singapore! *OOT again*

sorry, just trying to make thing cool down
User avatar
tcs
Challenge Poker Player
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: Article on today's (17th April 2011) The New Paper

Postby pokerace » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:56 pm

So far I did not post anything using any words using fxxx,and did not attack anybody.I only like to play poker but I take it as a compliment。Ub have contribute so much in this forum and poker community,he write with humour and make the post interesting.I think XYtexas trying to say is We are mature enough to use such words fxxx cos of our age.Hope all of us contribute more in this forum.If I use any wrong word or hurt anybody ,I am willing to apologize !
pokerace
Challenge Poker Player
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:31 pm
Medals: 2
Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

Closed

Postby XYtexas » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:29 pm

Closed
Last edited by XYtexas on Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XYtexas
Challenge Poker Player
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:25 pm

Pokerkaki Ads

Postby Pokerkaki Ads

Pokerkaki Ads
Shameless Advertising to keep this site alive

Re: Article on today's (17th April 2011) The New Paper

Postby ikelos » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:52 pm

XYtexas wrote:ikelos, MJFX and Chris

Sometimes there is no need for some things to spell out clearly.



Well i would suggest that something as large as this be spelt out as clearly as possible. If it's indeed a fact that online poker is illegal (something i've not been able to verify), you'd be doing this forum a massive favour by helping us clear all doubts.
ikelos
Site Admin
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:04 pm
Medals: 8
Long Jie Participant (1) Genting Poker Tournament (2) Macau Cup Participant (1) APPT Participant (1) Article Contributor (1) Chatterbox - Bigga Mouth~ (1) Helpful Kaki (1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Poker Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

 

Recent Posts

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:
Powered by FeedBurner

Site

Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:
Powered by FeedBurner